XLR to RCA DIY Conversion

Uwiik

Mar 2, 2021
What’s the consensus in doing this? I have a 1.5m Siltech Empress Double Crown XLR and would like to convert it to RCA. I know it’s best to contact Siltech/dealer but re exporting, waiting, re importing, paying more import tax doesn’t sound fun at all to me and I have mad soldering skill. Is it possible to do out ourselves without degradation in SQ compared to doing it there at the factory? Thinking to just use WBT/Furutech RCA and same brand solder tin as Siltech use those brand on their plugs/terminals too. Thanks!

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
What’s the consensus in doing this? I have a 1.5m Siltech Empress Double Crown XLR and would like to convert it to RCA. I know it’s best to contact Siltech/dealer but re exporting, waiting, re importing, paying more import tax doesn’t sound fun at all to me and I have mad soldering skill. Is it possible to do out ourselves without degradation in SQ compared to doing it there at the factory? Thinking to just use WBT/Furutech RCA and same brand solder tin as Siltech use those brand on their plugs/terminals too. Thanks!
Why do you want to convert to rca for?

Uwiik

Mar 2, 2021
I would recommend you get this work done by the factory / one of their agents in order to preserve resale value.
I am not too concerned about resale value because I never get what I wanted anyway when selling HiFi gears. Any detrimental effect to the sound quality?

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
Any detrimental effect to the sound quality?
Possibly better, possibly worse, likely different. All depends on which plugs / solder (if you must….) / workmanship. That’s the underlying issue, you are entering a unknown situation.

Reactions: Uwiik

Cableman

Dec 27, 2013
It’s certainly doable and I don’t believe there will be a sound degradation. It would help if you could use same solder as manufacturer tho. Do you require a guide on how to rewire?

Cableman

Dec 27, 2013
These plugs are very very good. In some cases superior to the the Furutech range, particularly the Monocrystal versions.

Attachments

• 99A32ACC-0794-48AE-820C-0E782B663DC6.jpeg
    99A32ACC-0794-48AE-820C-0E782B663DC6.jpeg
    31.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 656CD26B-3D9D-438E-9E53-B1515E5C4855.jpeg
    656CD26B-3D9D-438E-9E53-B1515E5C4855.jpeg
    24.2 KB · Views: 11

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
I would take this connector pure silver, fits Siltech and 4% silver solder is easier to process.

Uwiik

Mar 2, 2021
Possibly better, possibly worse, likely different. All depends on which plugs / solder (if you must….) / workmanship. That’s the underlying issue, you are entering a unknown situation.
I used to terminate and solder quite a few RCA back during my teenager car audio days, I’ll refresh and practice again with cheap RCA. I’ll probably use WBT 0102 AG best in class I think, I’ll aim to salvage as much of the original tin to preserve the solder the manufacturer intended but otherwise I’ll use WBT silver tin, should be safe right?

Last edited:
Reactions: DasguteOhr

Uwiik

Mar 2, 2021
It’s certainly doable and I don’t believe there will be a sound degradation. It would help if you could use same solder as manufacturer tho. Do you require a guide on how to rewire?
Yes please, thanks so much. I also always wonder what should I do with the unused wire when coverting from XLR to RCA? Just not use it or double the ground? Advice?

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
use a cheap cinch socket clamp it, put the plug on it. clean the soldering surfaces of the connector and your cable ends with isopranol alcohol. solder short and hot do not fry for long then it will be perfect

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Yes please, thanks so much. I also always wonder what should I do with the unused wire when coverting from XLR to RCA? Just not use it or double the ground? Advice?
use it for signal pin just take it twice

P.S double ground changes the capacitance of the cable. not good idea

Uwiik

Mar 2, 2021
use a cheap cinch socket clamp it, put the plug on it. clean the soldering surfaces of the connector and your cable ends with isopranol alcohol. solder short and hot do not fry for long then it will be perfect
I have Dekko station, should be consistent enough. Anything against using soldering paste?
use it for signal pin just take it twice

P.S double ground changes the capacitance of the cable. not good idea
OK this one is new to me, thanks a lot. So I double the center pin (signal). Do you have diagram for the XLR pinout so I know which pin goes where?

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Xlr standard earthfree...did youwant that?
No problem paste after soldering clean it with a brush&alcohol
XLR+Connector+Pinout+Diagram+Rear+Pin+2+Hot+v2+green.jpg

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I used to terminate and solder quite a few RCA back during my teenager car audio days, I’ll refresh and practice again with cheap RCA. I’ll probably use WBT 0102 AG best in class I think, I’ll aim to salvage as much of the original tin to preserve the solder the manufacturer intended but otherwise I’ll use WBT silver tin, should be safe right?

In my experience, removing the old plug is usually much harder than soldering a new plug. We have to heat the hole connecting surface to release the wire and the solder will easily overheat and oxidize - IMHO no point keeping it. I always try to remove as much as possible of the old solder and replace it with fresh solder when replacing plugs - I also use the old WBT silver tin, still have half of a spool of it. Remember that the fresh solder has de-oxidant core - it is a critical element in the soldering action and a controlled temperature soldering iron of adequate power is a must.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I have Dekko station, should be consistent enough. Anything against using soldering paste?

Some people will probably have a different opinion, but IMHO most soldering pastes are extremely aggressive and can flow by capillarity inside the cable insulation where it can't be removed. It can damage the cable in the long term.

Reactions: Scott Naylor

Uwiik

Mar 2, 2021
In my experience, removing the old plug is usually much harder than soldering a new plug. We have to heat the hole connecting surface to release the wire and the solder will easily overheat and oxidize - IMHO no point keeping it. I always try to remove as much as possible of the old solder and replace it with fresh solder when replacing plugs - I also use the old WBT silver tin, still have half of a spool of it. Remember that the fresh solder has de-oxidant core - it is a critical element in the soldering action and a controlled temperature soldering iron of adequate power is a must.
Thanks for the pointer, will use fresh WBT tin then

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing