wtfplay

khonfused

Jun 15, 2015
Bavaria
Sligolad,

do I understand you correctly that DSD DoP with wtf directly into the usb amanero board of the Lampi is not working yet?

sligolad

Mar 14, 2015
Sligolad,

do I understand you correctly that DSD DoP with wtf directly into the usb amanero board of the Lampi is not working yet?
Hi Khonfused,

No problem with DSD DOP into the Amanero card on the big7 from Wtfplay and it does sound great on 1x & 2x DSD, I have not gone for the DSD upgrade with Lukasz yet.
I would like to see Amanero get DSD raw/direct working and then I will flash firmware on the Amanero and the Wtfplay developer will then add Amanero to the list of supported USB cards.
http://wtfplay-project.org/manual.html#_dsd_playback

sligolad

Mar 14, 2015
Have you compared it to HQPlayer which is the current gold standard IMHO?

Tested pretty much everything except HQPlayer, so short answer is No.
Been trying to avoid going down the powerful computing route again towards good sound, that after several years of learning how difficult it is to do right and I am also against upsampling, not saying either is bad but for me it is not a direction I want to take at this time.

I have several silent PCs lying around with all the necessary horsepower for HQPlayer (HQP)from my Dual JPlay days and my excursions into Bughead (BHE).
BHE was the only extreme PC hardware approach I did play with but as good as it was it was still nowhere near wtfplay for me particularly when it came to PCM.

The main reason why I do not have HQP on my radar at the moment is because I have seen several reports from guys invested in both BHE and HQP and some prefer BHE over HQP, so if the difference is not great then I will put it on the long finger for now.
It may become something to try later for 4x DSD upsampling when I go for the Big7 DSD upgrade but for the moment DSD from Wtfplay is awesome.

Bottom line for me is that over and over again through a lot of experimentation and testing, low power, down clocked hardware, clean linear & battery supplies, good clocks, minimum software footprint and isolation has been the route to great sound.

I am keeping my fingers crossed that someone with a full blown HQPlayer setup will try Wtfplay (plug the USB stick in and go with no change to existing setup) thereby saving me the trouble of finding out the answer to your question, and I will be shocked if Wtfplay does not give it a real challenge particularly on just PCM from Wtfplay.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing