Wing Acoustics

iansr

Dec 27, 2010
I’m starting this thread after having made reference to this company in the Alsyvox thread. The 2 founders of the company have developed what AFAIK is a completely new type of audio transducer, the acoustic wing. It creates sound ( air vibrations) by the wing being hinged along one of its long edges and essentially flapping up and down. Because the wing is rigid it is claimed that it has zero distortion within the operating range of the driver. They say they will be able to make drivers that cover the full audio frequency range, albeit not from a single driver.

I first became aware of the company at Munich 2018 where they had a prototype of some headphones on demo in the newcomers section. I also attended a presentation given by the CEO, Chris Hardy. It certainly captured my interest as it seemed to me to be truly innovative technology and that it had the potential to truly raise the bar when it came to the reproduction of music.

I’ve remained in touch with CH and he tells me that if all goes according to plan they will be releasing their first (small) speaker next month. I think they regard it as being more of a demonstration platform for the tech rather than a product they are looking to ship in large numbers. More serious assaults on the market will doubtless follow.

In November my wife and I are going to New Zealand for a holiday and I’ve arranged for us to visit the company’s HQ in Auckland and to hear their new speaker. I’m excited to hear it and am really hoping that the “hype” isn’t in fact hyperbole. We shall see, or rather hear . . . .

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Reactions: BruceD

iansr

Dec 27, 2010
That is a bit of a non-sequitur.
I believe it’s a reference to the fact that cones do not vibrate perfectly across their surface area and throughout their operating range. The wing does not suffer from that inherent problem. It may of course introduce distortions in other ways, but the company seems very confident that overall their technology introduces fewer artefacts than traditional drivers.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
But the guy in the video enthusing about their sound has a hat over his ears:D

Is this the preferred mode of listening?:)

There is a remarkable lack of real information on the website.

iansr

Dec 27, 2010
The website hasn’t been updated for a long time. I guess they have been focused on development of the tech and products. I would expect the website to be overhauled once they are ready to go to market.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
It may of course introduce distortions in other ways, but the company seems very confident that overall their technology introduces fewer artefacts than traditional drivers.
OK but that's not what you originally posted. Of course, a hinged and, therefore, pivoting radiator introduces other issues.

musicfirst1

VIP/Donor
Mar 8, 2015
Canada
www.musicfirstdistribution.ca
OK but that's not what you originally posted. Of course, a hinged and, therefore, pivoting radiator introduces other issues.

Can you elaborate Kal?

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Can you elaborate Kal?
Well, displacement across the "wing" will be proportional to the distance from the hinge/pivot and overall displacement will not be axial.
They say they will be able to make drivers that cover the full audio frequency range, albeit not from a single driver.
Herod: "... wherefore do I hear in the air this beating of wings? Ah! one might fancy a bird, a huge black bird that hovers over the terrace. Why can I not see it, this bird? The beat of its wings is terrible." (Salome by R. Strauss/O. Wilde)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing