Wilson WAMM vs. Magico M9: What are the Design Differences/ Tradeoffs? What do you Prefer? No Marketing Hype and NO B.S. PLEASE!!!

caesar

May 30, 2010
Marketing hype aside, does anyone actually understand the actual design differences between these "full out assault" speakers? NO B.S. Please!

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Ceasar, in my opinion your question is very premature. Very few have heard both, and certainly the entire “system” supporting the speakers is very different. I heard WAMM in a not-so-good dealer showroom that was much too small for the speakers, with, as typical, a Dagostino front end and dCS digital stack. I heard M9s in Magico’s showroom (an exceptional room acoustically) large enough for the speakers, with Pilium front-end and MSB/Taiko digital.

Given these huge differences, I connected to the music much more readily with the M9s. The WAMMs were amazing, stunning, and impressive, but I just didn’t connect easily. Musical selections? Time of day? Did I sleep well the night before? So many variables. I suggest if I were given either as a gift I’d be content until 6’ under (maybe longer!)

Also, the WAMM system had the big Wilson subs. The M9s did not have sub woofers as part of the system. A speaker at this level should have the necessary bass response, and if subs are part of that they should not be an additional expense, in my opinion.

Last edited:

caesar

May 30, 2010
Thanks. Interesting that a dealer would set up this speaker in the mediocre room.

And Wilson audio would allow that, as their flagship speaker will be judged not only by the slobbering fans...

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
The dealer sells a LOT of Wilson speakers, they just don’t have a room that did the WAMM justice. They still sounded good, just not “all they could be”. If Wilson were only to show their top speakers in amazing showrooms… well, not many would have a chance to hear them. Same will be true for M9s… not many showrooms can match the Magico showroom.

(Selfishly, I was very happy when I and my guest entered the Magico listening room it had a very similar sonic signature and feel as my own room.) That doesn’t mean M9s will be on audition there (my room) but damn! That would be fun. Probably too much speaker for my room. MikeL’s room, on the other hand, could take M9s.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
The dealer sells a LOT of Wilson speakers, they just don’t have a room that did the WAMM justice. They still sounded good, just not “all they could be”. If Wilson were only to show their top speakers in amazing showrooms… well, not many would have a chance to hear them. Same will be true for M9s… not many showrooms can match the Magico showroom.

(Selfishly, I was very happy when I and my guest entered the Magico listening room it had a very similar sonic signature and feel as my own room.) That doesn’t mean M9s will be on audition there (my room) but damn! That would be fun. Probably too much speaker for my room. MikeL’s room, on the other hand, could take M9s.

Most buyers of WAMM's listened to the WAMM's in the Wilson Audio room before buying.

After the WAMM launch the owners of XLF speakers were invited by dealers to make a pilgrimage to Provo, Utah and listen to the WAMM. As I did not have a room suitable for such large speakers I declined the invitation ... ;)

Later I was very happy that our local distributor has a nice large room and I could listen to them in very good conditions. I could carry some of my favorite recordings and my surprise, when listening to an Harmonia Mundi recording of Vivaldi Flute concertos, Peter McGrath smiled and told me he had engineered this recording. It sounded fabulous in the WAMM's.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
And Wilson audio would allow that, as their flagship speaker will be judged not only by the slobbering fans...
LOL! Say what you will, big Wilson speakers have just slaughtered the other contenders at a few shows I have attended, in large rooms with good auxiliary equipment. With the big ones, you have to go whole hog with the room, the setup, and the compatible electronics.

My customary caveat is that I have not heard smaller Wilsons below Maxx types that I could bond with. For 'normal' rooms I would probably prefer the Magicos I have heard.

Reactions: Audire

dcathro

Sep 16, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
These two speaker systems are just so philosophically different:
- sealed vs ported bass
- exotic vs traditional drivers
- non time aligned vs critically time aligned
- completely different cabinet materials
- part active vs totally passive

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Accurate observations for sure! When you say part active, not to confuse anyone but the M9s do have a 100% analog, active crossover, but the M9 is not amplified internally. Usually the active description denotes internal amplification.

I would call the M9 completely passive with an active analog crossover....just semantics.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
These two speaker systems are just so philosophically different:
- sealed vs ported bass
- exotic vs traditional drivers
- non time aligned vs critically time aligned
- completely different cabinet materials
What do you prefer: Ford Truck or Ferrari?

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
What do you prefer: Ford Truck or Ferrari?
Oh nay nay… thats a bit harsh don’t ‘cha think? I would say if you couldn’t build a system around either of the speakers you are ideologically blinded. Thats not to say if you could afford either you might not have a preference for one vs. the other. Surely there will be well trained and uber sensitive ears who will pick nits, but if I and another audio geek were told to pick one of two, and the other guy chose Wilson, I think I’d be pretty happy with the Magico, and vice versa.

BMCG

VIP/Donor
Oct 1, 2016
United Kingdom
Reactions: Bobvin

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Oh nay nay… thats a bit harsh don’t ‘cha think? I would say if you couldn’t build a system around either of the speakers you are ideologically blinded. Thats not to say if you could afford either you might not have a preference for one vs. the other. Surely there will be well trained and uber sensitive ears who will pick nits, but if I and another audio geek were told to pick one of two, and the other guy chose Wilson, I think I’d be pretty happy with the Magico, and vice versa.
Both speakers couldnt be more different. They look different, they sound different and are made of vastly different materials. It's an odd comparison. A comparison of YG and Magico would be more appropriate.

Reactions: OCD Mods

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
. . . the M9s do have a 100% analog, active crossover, but the M9 is not amplified internally. Usually the active description denotes internal amplification.

I would call the M9 completely passive with an active analog crossover....just semantics.
Yes, "part active vs. totally passive" is totally confusing (and misleading).

Purely out of curiosity, Bob, so the midrange/tweeter module in the middle of the M9 receives a high-passed signal, and the four bigger drivers receive a low-passed signal? An active analog cross-over splits the incoming full-range signal?

Reactions: Audire and Rhapsody

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Yes, "part active vs. totally passive" is totally confusing (and misleading).

Purely out of curiosity, Bob, so the midrange/tweeter module in the middle of the M9 receives a high-passed signal, and the four bigger drivers receive a low-passed signal? An active analog cross-over splits the incoming full-range signal?
It’s only the bass that has a separate amp(s). The high-pass is between the bass and the rest of the system (Midbass, midrange, tweeter)

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Accurate observations for sure! When you say part active, not to confuse anyone but the M9s do have a 100% analog, active crossover, but the M9 is not amplified internally. Usually the active description denotes internal amplification.

does the crossover of the M9 need to be plugged into A/C current? so it's analogous to an active preamp?

for instance the darTZeel NHB-18NS preamp can be used to output three analog outputs separated into different frequency ranges. for efficient tri-ampling. and attenuation too.

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Both speakers couldnt be more different. They look different, they sound different and are made of vastly different materials. It's an odd comparison. A comparison of YG and Magico would be more appropriate.
Sure, but your comment put a Ferrari to a Ford truck, which is a poor analogy. Ferrari to a Lambo, maybe, or like the post above to any other "supercar" but we're talking compare of "super-speakers". It not like the original post was M9 vs. Paradigm Persona.

And... I have heard both. Both quite special achievements. Personal taste will account for purchases, or possibly snob-appeal.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
does the crossover of the M9 need to be plugged into A/C current? so it's analogous to an active preamp?

for instance the darTZeel NHB-18NS preamp can be used to output three analog outputs separated into different frequency ranges. for efficient tri-ampling. and attenuation too.
There is a separate power supply for the MXO crossover.

MXO Crossover: 8” H x 18” D x 20” W (20 x 46 x 51 cm) (40lbs)
MXO Crossover power supply: 8” H x 18” D x 20” W (20 x 46 x 51 cm) (60lbs)

maxresdefault.jpg

Reactions: Audire and Bobvin

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Sure, but your comment put a Ferrari to a Ford truck, which is a poor analogy. Ferrari to a Lambo, maybe, or like the post above to any other "supercar" but we're talking compare of "super-speakers". It not like the original post was M9 vs. Paradigm Persona.

And... I have heard both. Both quite special achievements. Personal taste will account for purchases, or possibly snob-appeal.
Both Ford and Ferrari get you to the same place.. One with balls and one with speed, just like Wilson and Magico.

It a perfect analogy.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Both Ford and Ferrari get you to the same place.. One with balls and one with speed, just like Wilson and Magico.

It a perfect analogy.
Have you heard both of these speakers, not different models from the brands?

Just curious as it would be difficult for me to say one was this or that without hearing them both of them myself???

Reactions: Bobvin

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing