Wilson Audios Duette crossover makeover?

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA

Have to say that first plot was meh, from Wilson. I guess maybe ProArc fans might like it?

dcathro

Sep 16, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
I have to guess that the Duettes were intended to be mated to subs.

I cannot imagine that many Wilson Duette owners will take Danny up on his new crossover offer. It's not going to be a genuine Wilson anymore.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I have to guess that the Duettes were intended to be mated to subs.

I cannot imagine that many Wilson Duette owners will take Danny up on his new crossover offer. It's not going to be a genuine Wilson anymore.

That's incorrect sir. You literally just change crossover boxes to try it. You never do anything to the speaker that can't be undone with no sign of change. It's literally no more complicated than swapping cables.

The subs would need to play high, it'd be complicated because they'd have to go where the stands are.

Really I think the speaker is targeted to a certain ear, which I guess is for some and not others.

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
I watched this video last night. When he mentioned that the bass was down and that Wilson had not taken into acount baffle step loss my thought was that he missed the point. Wilson always claimed that speaker was really designed to be a true "Bookshelf" speaker. meaning that people would actually put it on a shelf and very close to a wall. In this case they would get the bass reinformcement. I would have liked to see Danny measure the speaker within about 2" of a wall.

Now Wilson did sell stands for it to be placed like a normal stand mount speaker. I presume that is why they provided the other cable. I just don't see what the cable did. Perhaps they should have really given two different crossover inputs depending if the speaker was up against a wall or out in free space.

Danny did do a good job of flattening the frequency response. He really didn't say how many crossover parts he added to achieve this. I would worry about the effect on transparency and dynamics with adding all of the extra parts. But as Folsom pointed out it is easy enough to build the crossover and compare the two.

I never owned this speaker and never even auditioned it. So I can't comment on what it sounds like.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I watched this video last night. When he mentioned that the bass was down and that Wilson had not taken into acount baffle step loss my thought was that he missed the point. Wilson always claimed that speaker was really designed to be a true "Bookshelf" speaker. meaning that people would actually put it on a shelf and very close to a wall. In this case they would get the bass reinformcement. I would have liked to see Danny measure the speaker within about 2" of a wall.

That's a good point, if truly used like a bookshelf. They're a bit big for my shelves to test that. (I don't own them)

It would make sense if Wilson provided two crossovers instead of two speaker cables, no?

When it comes to crossovers I don't worry about complexity so much as integration. Danny doesn't typically use very many parts, but did say this tweeter got a 3rd over. And I actually think if 1st isn't working 3rd is better sounding despite more parts than 2nd. Personally I would try his crossover but mod it with caps I like, if I had the speakers.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing