Wilson Audio Speaker Owners

skids929

Dec 31, 2020
I bought a pair of Tune tots had them a few days. Question I have is mainly about break in for Wilson's in general. Reason I ask is because I feel like dynamics are a little clamped compared to my old speakers making me rethink my amp choice and that I might need something more potent to drive Wilsons. Impedance curve of this speaker is not intimidating (6 Ohm Min) but thought maybe it's still a difficult load considering how stiff WIlson enclosures are, and the case of TT a much smaller area than say a Sabrina. Maybe I am overthinking it and it's just break in but wanted to hear the experiences of others with Wilson since this is my first set. I love them overall so far, wonderful delicate, detailed, smooth and massive sound stage with these. Couple of pics attached.

Attachments

• IMG_6169.JPG
    IMG_6169.JPG
    267.2 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_6171.JPG
    IMG_6171.JPG
    443.6 KB · Views: 23

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
Well they are new. I’m sure the surrounds will break in with regular play. Not sure you should expect a ton in the dynamic department given the small drivers. I bet it sounds nice an intimate.

Reactions: skids929

skids929

Dec 31, 2020
yeah they turned a corner today quite a bit, so break in is real! I always find ways to doubt break in is a real thing, it's just so mysterious. : ) Also first Wilsons so not familiar with their break in. I also put a turbo on the system today apparently and added a high end power cord to my power conditioner. Smoothed out ALOT in the system, dynamics are there for sure. My previous speaker was a two way with same size driver and was a dynamic kingpin, I just think to your point, everything is stiff. I also think I could use a little more power as well.

WLP3

Apr 6, 2022
Thinking of a pair of Tune Tots. Currently Harbeth P3 ESR XD and pair of REL T5x. Audio Research I50 integrated. Have a very small listening room…11 x 11. The way that the marketing materials portray the TT as a high end desktop speaker. I am looking for a serious stand speaker for listening not background music for the kitchen or office. Are you feeling like it is delivering a high end listening experience. Sound like a Wilson? Any regrets or alternatives you are considering? Thanks.

skids929

Dec 31, 2020
Thinking of a pair of Tune Tots. Currently Harbeth P3 ESR XD and pair of REL T5x. Audio Research I50 integrated. Have a very small listening room…11 x 11. The way that the marketing materials portray the TT as a high end desktop speaker. I am looking for a serious stand speaker for listening not background music for the kitchen or office. Are you feeling like it is delivering a high end listening experience. Sound like a Wilson? Any regrets or alternatives you are considering? Thanks.

Absolutely, this is not a desk top speaker IMHO..Quite honestly, after working with the placement for a couple weeks I don' t really know why Wilson markets it that way. It's THE best two-way loudspeaker I have ever heard, and I have owned ALOT of wonderful two way speakers, I prefer them quite honestly. The thing about Wilson that amazes me, is their ability to scale their sound across all their speakers. The TT has the EXACT same tone and character as SabX, Sasha etc..They may not be as warm as your Harbeth btw, these are literally like reverse microphones, but they are smooth and accurate and if your gear has a warm character it will reveal it, if it doesn't it will reveal it. Wilson reveal the gear that drives them like no other speaker I've heard. It's honestly a sound I wasn't sure I'd love and now I so thrilled with my system and I owe to these speakers. Tune Tot is definitely a BIG speaker, so don't be fooled by that marketing. They were trying to tap the second system Wilson owner by targeting in those spaces.

My listening room is not much larger than yours, 11x16ish..I actually sold my T5x in favor of the Kef KC62. It's a much faster more accurate sub and keeps up with the Wilson much better than the Rel, I plan to get another. This is something to consider if you move ahead with the Tune Tot. What gear are you using aside the Audio Research?

Last edited:
Reactions: Zeotrope

WLP3

Apr 6, 2022
Absolutely, this is not a desk top speaker IMHO..Quite honestly, after working with the placement for a couple weeks I don' t really know why Wilson markets it that way. It's THE best two-way loudspeaker I have ever heard, and I have owned ALOT of wonderful two way speakers, I prefer them quite honestly. The thing about Wilson that amazes me, is their ability to scale their sound across all their speakers. The TT has the EXACT same tone and character as SabX, Sasha etc..They may not be as warm as your Harbeth btw, these are literally like reverse microphones, but they are smooth and accurate and if your gear has a warm character it will reveal it, if it doesn't it will reveal it. Wilson reveal the gear that drives them like no other speaker I've heard. It's honestly a sound I wasn't sure I'd love and now I so thrilled with my system and I owe to these speakers. Tune Tot is definitely a BIG speaker, so don't be fooled by that marketing. They were trying to tap the second system Wilson owner by targeting in those spaces.

My listening is not much larger than yours, 11x16ish..I actually sold my T5x in favor of the Kef KC62. It's a much faster more accurate sub and keeps up with the Wilson much better than the Rel, I plan to get another. This is something to consider if you move ahead with the Tune Tot. What gear are you using?
Thanks so much for your feedback. I really admire the Wilson way of producing product…only the best, and I have aspired to be a Wilson owner.

Going to Axpona next week, an unfortunately Wilson corporate will not be there, and I hear that the Wilson dealers will be showing some of the big stuff. Planning to have a look at Stenheim Alumine 2, Marten Oscar and Parker Duos, Von Schweikert Unifield 2 Mk III, Vimberg Amea.

I would like to keep my ARC I50 and may opt for the DAC plug-in when it becomes available. Currently running a RME ADI 2 DAC FS with a Bluesound Node. I have a new Aurender N150 on the way in the next couple of days Only doing digital. The Harbeth’s sensitivity is 83db so the TTs would be a better match at 86db. The warmth of the ARC would probably be a nice match for the Wilson precision….in fact the dealer I bought my ARC, Paragon in Ann Arbor, MI, had their demo I50 with Tune Tots. Could not really tell because the TTs were up on a counter and not n stands.

The bases for the TTs are only used when using as a bookshelf type application, correct. Stands would replace the bases for floor application?

skids929

Dec 31, 2020
Thanks so much for your feedback. I really admire the Wilson way of producing product…only the best, and I have aspired to be a Wilson owner.

Going to Axpona next week, an unfortunately Wilson corporate will not be there, and I hear that the Wilson dealers will be showing some of the big stuff. Planning to have a look at Stenheim Alumine 2, Marten Oscar and Parker Duos, Von Schweikert Unifield 2 Mk III, Vimberg Amea.

I would like to keep my ARC I50 and may opt for the DAC plug-in when it becomes available. Currently running a RME ADI 2 DAC FS with a Bluesound Node. I have a new Aurender N150 on the way in the next couple of days Only doing digital. The Harbeth’s sensitivity is 83db so the TTs would be a better match at 86db. The warmth of the ARC would probably be a nice match for the Wilson precision….in fact the dealer I bought my ARC, Paragon in Ann Arbor, MI, had their demo I50 with Tune Tots. Could not really tell because the TTs were up on a counter and not n stands.

The bases for the TTs are only used when using as a bookshelf type application, correct. Stands would replace the bases for floor application?

Yes I have the Wilson stands, you don't need the extra base with the stands, just the stands alone are all you need. It's a cleaner look too. I attached a picture of mine. Your ARC will be a great match for the Wilsons I agree. I've heard Stenheim many times, on CH Precision, sounded flabby to me. Out of all you're considering I'd say Wilson, Vimberg, Martens, and I'd take Harbeth over VS. Both Marten and Vimberg have a dryer sound to me than the Wilson. It's hard to beat the accuracy, delicacy and overall loveliness of the Tune Tots. They are almost translucent, they just disappear once they are broken in.

Attachments

• IMG_6301 2.JPG
    IMG_6301 2.JPG
    587.4 KB · Views: 15

WLP3

Apr 6, 2022
I bought a pair of Tune tots had them a few days. Question I have is mainly about break in for Wilson's in general. Reason I ask is because I feel like dynamics are a little clamped compared to my old speakers making me rethink my amp choice and that I might need something more potent to drive Wilsons. Impedance curve of this speaker is not intimidating (6 Ohm Min) but thought maybe it's still a difficult load considering how stiff WIlson enclosures are, and the case of TT a much smaller area than say a Sabrina. Maybe I am overthinking it and it's just break in but wanted to hear the experiences of others with Wilson since this is my first set. I love them overall so far, wonderful delicate, detailed, smooth and massive sound stage with these. Couple of pics attached.

WLP3

Apr 6, 2022
Yes I have the Wilson stands, you don't need the extra base with the stands, just the stands alone are all you need. It's a cleaner look too. I attached a picture of mine. Your ARC will be a great match for the Wilsons I agree. I've heard Stenheim many times, on CH Precision, sounded flabby to me. Out of all you're considering I'd say Wilson, Vimberg, Martens, and I'd take Harbeth over VS. Both Marten and Vimberg have a dryer sound to me than the Wilson. It's hard to beat the accuracy, delicacy and overall loveliness of the Tune Tots. They are almost translucent, they just disappear once they are broken in.
Well, you've got me sold. I hope that someone has a pair at the show to check out. Thanks, again for the feedback.

WLP3

Apr 6, 2022
Have fun at Axpona, be sure to report back !
Well, you did it! It looks like I bought a pair of open box Tune Tots from my dealer. They were used in the store for rear channel in a video system which was not used very much. They are black but absolute bare bones...no grilles, trim rings, stand, etc. I think I got a good deal on them at $7,300. The stands will be ordered and are $2,200. I think I probably want to add the grilles? I gave him half down until I get back from Axpona. He gave me $1,500 for my Harbeths, but I think the price I got was good. Thoughts?

skids929

Dec 31, 2020
Well, you did it! It looks like I bought a pair of open box Tune Tots from my dealer. They were used in the store for rear channel in a video system which was not used very much. They are black but absolute bare bones...no grilles, trim rings, stand, etc. I think I got a good deal on them at $7,300. The stands will be ordered and are $2,200. I think I probably want to add the grilles? I gave him half down until I get back from Axpona. He gave me $1,500 for my Harbeths, but I think the price I got was good. Thoughts?

Ha! You will be happy with them. Sounds you like did well pricewise. What color did you get? Was it the color you wanted? And yes get the grilles unless you like no grill look. The Wilson grilles ad zero color to the sound due to the way they are designed.

WLP3

Apr 6, 2022
Ha! You will be happy with them. Sounds you like did well pricewise. What color did you get? Was it the color you wanted? And yes get the grilles unless you like no grill look. The Wilson grilles ad zero color to the sound due to the way they are designed.
Got black. Haven't really seen them in black. I will order grilles for them too.

WLP3

Apr 6, 2022
I am sure you have seen the brutal review in Audio Science review. Thoughts? I know these guys are numbers only guys, but dang!

skids929

Dec 31, 2020
I am sure you have seen the brutal review in Audio Science review. Thoughts? I know these guys are numbers only guys, but dang!

Rule #1 in the audiophile world, never EVER listen to those measurement idiots. Most of them live in their Mom's basement and are mad at the world because they can't bring a girl home and don't have two pennies to rub together.

My response to the entire measurement tribe of buffoons. Until they have tools that can measure how my ears hear, and how my brain processes and perceives that information measurements are nothing more than a way to get a general idea on how something will sound and perform. Wilson is only one of (if not THE) most successful and well respected speaker company in the World, so there's that.

WLP3

Apr 6, 2022
Rule #1 in the audiophile world, never EVER listen to those measurement idiots. Most of them live in their Mom's basement and are mad at the world because they can't bring a girl home and don't have two pennies to rub together.

My response to the entire measurement tribe of buffoons. Until they have tools that can measure how my ears hear, and how my brain processes and perceives that information measurements are nothing more than a way to get a general idea on how something will sound and perform. Wilson is only one of (if not THE) most successful and well respected speaker company in the World, so there's that.

WLP3

Apr 6, 2022
Yeah, I know, but it is disconcerting. I guess it is a jealousy thing. I can't imagine Wilson producing a product that is not well done. They are universally recognized as the premier speaker manufacturer in the world.

skids929

Dec 31, 2020
Yeah, I know, but it is disconcerting. I guess it is a jealousy thing. I can't imagine Wilson producing a product that is not well done. They are universally recognized as the premier speaker manufacturer in the world.
take it with a grain of salt.

I am super picky about my gear been doing this a long time. Best two speaker I have ever heard, on my equipment anyway.

WLP3

Apr 6, 2022
take it with a grain of salt.

I am super picky about my gear been doing this a long time. Best two speaker I have ever heard, on my equipment anyway.
Thanks. Do you have a speaker cable recommendation? I am currently using a GR Research DIY Kimber Kable 16 conductor. Considering changing. Thoughts?

skids929

Dec 31, 2020
Thanks. Do you have a speaker cable recommendation? I am currently using a GR Research DIY Kimber Kable 16 conductor. Considering changing. Thoughts?

Thats very subjective. I am using Zenwave speaker and power, and Tellurium Q Silver Diamond ICs and USB and AES. I love them all, but I find the gear really can drive the cable decisions to some extent, not the speaker itself. I love Daves stuff, Zenwave audio. Great guy and FANTASTIC sounding cables, especially the power cables.

These cables I mention tend to have a neutral tone overall with plenty of detail in the higher level models.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing