Wilson Audio at RMAF

Lildebs888

May 12, 2011
Grantsville, Utah
www.facebook.com
Big announcement!!

Wilson Audio will be doing something BIG at this year's Rocky Mountain Audio Fest! We will be in a large room (at the Hyatt), and will be showing Alexandria XLF's with 2 Thor's Hammers!

More information to come!

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Very cool!

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
Very cool, this makes for at least four huge super systems... the big Lansches, Von Shweikerts, YG Sonjas and now the big Wilsons. Am I missing anyone?

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
This is cool. I happen to be staying at the Hyatt this year so it wont be an extra trip for me to visit these rooms. Last year I was at the Hyatt as well but there were no audio rooms and some sort of big convention was going on. Very noisy in the lobby. Thankfully it was fairly quiet in my room.

Lildebs888

May 12, 2011
Grantsville, Utah
www.facebook.com
More RMAF info for you guys:

Wilson Audio at the Hyatt (Windriver Ballroom)

XLF - Powered by VTL Siegfried's
Thor's Hammers (2) - Powered by VTL MB 450's
Preamp: VTL 7.5 series III
DCS - Scarlatti Dac and CD Transport
Transparent Opus Cabling and power products

VTL (at the Marriott) Room # 2030

Alexia - Powered by S400
Preamp: VTL 7.5 III
Cables: Transparent
Digital: DCS
Turntable: TBD

Paragon's:

image.jpg

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
Thanks Deb.

I've heard the Alexandria 2 with VTL Siegfried's and VTL 7.5 series II before and it was very nice. Especially through a SME-30. Can't remember the cartridge used though.

XLF's with Thor's Hammers in a big room should be quite a treat.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Alexia - Powered by S400

May be some lucky people will be able to listen to Dave Wilson tapes in both DSD and PCM format, or even better, to compare them and report on WBF!

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
May be some lucky people will be able to listen to Dave Wilson tapes in both DSD and PCM format, or even better, to compare them and report on WBF!

Looks like they will be playing tape in the Doshi room but I don't think the ARC CD9 can play back native DSD. It would be interesting but I think the exhibitors would rather have us focus on other things. Such as the performance of "their" products.

If someone selling a DSD dac would step up to the challenge that would be great.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass

Alexia - Powered by S400

Is the S400 a VTL product - as in both systems in the Hyatt will be powered by VTL?

EDIT: nevermind, it's obvious since it's the VTL room... doh!

Lildebs888

May 12, 2011
Grantsville, Utah
www.facebook.com
Is the S400 a VTL product - as in both systems in the Hyatt will be powered by VTL?

EDIT: nevermind, it's obvious since it's the VTL room... doh!

Hehehe! Yes, both Of us (Wilson Audio and VTL) will be using VTL :)

mojave

Oct 29, 2010
Elkhorn, NE
Very cool, this makes for at least four huge super systems... the big Lansches, Von Shweikerts, YG Sonjas and now the big Wilsons. Am I missing anyone?
I read that GR-Research is going to have a large speaker/sub system their room:

Nine custom modified BG tweeters per channel
Twelve custom made high Q woofers per channel
H-Frame dipole active subwoofer panels with integrated plate amplifiers
3 12? servo subwoofers per channel
Non-square open baffle design for reduced cabinet resonance and reflections
Open baffle for much less weight in such a large speaker
Open baffle allows for easy access to passive crossover network, allows for easy customization and lessens the impact of microphonics on the crossover components.
92 db/1 watt at 1 meter efficiency
87 db/1 watt at 4 meters due to the nature of a line source array
7? tall array for true line source performance, even in very large rooms
8 ohms nominal impedance
Passive subwoofer crossover between preamp and power amp for less stress on your main amplifiers
Custom veneers available, from tasteful, to the extreme
18 tweeters, 24 woofers, 6 subwoofers
Greater than 2,000 watts power handling for the tweeters (more for the mid/bass drivers)
Cabinets built in the United States
Speakers assembled in the United States

Lildebs888

May 12, 2011
Grantsville, Utah
www.facebook.com
EXCLUSIVE Wilson Owners event/listening session with Dave Wilson at RMAF on Saturday at the end of the show. If you would like to get your name on the list please email me (debby@wilsonaudio.com) this information:

* Your name (and name of guest if applicable)
* Wilson Audio System you own
* Name of your dealer

Look forward to spending the evening with you!!

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I've been seriously thinking about going to RMAF this year and this just pushed me over the edge... only for me to find out that this year's RMAF falls on Columbus day weekend; I can't go because my wife has committed us to a 4 day camping trip that coincides with that weekend.

I wasn't interested in camping in the first place, now I'm really bummed!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
For those that have not heard the big Wilsons, hearing them with great big (and fast) subs expertly dialled in will be a whole level higher imho. I absolutely love big wilsons with subs...not to make the trousers rattle during explosions (though I enjoy that too)...its because for me, hearing the kick drum is different than feeling that slight chest compression from the kick drum...the subs I know of with big Wilsons typically are not playing higher than 40hz or so...and yet it makes a huge difference (to me) on classical, soundtracks, blues, jazz, as well as deep house, big orchestral/choral, etc...specifically in that sense of scale where the sense of space and the chest compressions combine to really give (me) a sense of the live event. Plus, good bass is a lot of fun generally.

What a treat...thanks to Wilson for going thru the extra effort dial in the subs on top of the speakers...it is a spectacular way to show Wilsons, and I really wish it would happen more often with dealers.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I've been seriously thinking about going to RMAF this year and this just pushed me over the edge... only for me to find out that this year's RMAF falls on Columbus day weekend; I can't go because my wife has committed us to a 4 day camping trip that coincides with that weekend.

I wasn't interested in camping in the first place, now I'm really bummed!

Maybe you could have your wife committed for four days and enjoy the show. :D RMAF will be much more fun that camping out, swatting mosquitoes, and taking a dump with your ass hanging over the edge of log in the woods.

Lildebs888

May 12, 2011
Grantsville, Utah
www.facebook.com
For those that have not heard the big Wilsons, hearing them with great big (and fast) subs expertly dialled in will be a whole level higher imho. I absolutely love big wilsons with subs...not to make the trousers rattle during explosions (though I enjoy that too)...its because for me, hearing the kick drum is different than feeling that slight chest compression from the kick drum...the subs I know of with big Wilsons typically are not playing higher than 40hz or so...and yet it makes a huge difference (to me) on classical, soundtracks, blues, jazz, as well as deep house, big orchestral/choral, etc...specifically in that sense of scale where the sense of space and the chest compressions combine to really give (me) a sense of the live event. Plus, good bass is a lot of fun generally.

What a treat...thanks to Wilson for going thru the extra effort dial in the subs on top of the speakers...it is a spectacular way to show Wilsons, and I really wish it would happen more often with dealers.

It really is an "experience", isn't it! Thank you for Acknowledging how much work this set up will be. We don't typically show a large system like this because of the time it takes to set up, dial in, tear down , and ship. I hope people take this opportunity to hear it, and to see my parents as well.

If you are a wilson owner, make sure to let me know if you would like to join us in a special listening session with my dad. He has a few treats to demo for you that won't be demoed to the public! :)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
It really is an "experience", isn't it! Thank you for Acknowledging how much work this set up will be. We don't typically show a large system like this because of the time it takes to set up, dial in, tear down , and ship. I hope people take this opportunity to hear it, and to see my parents as well.

If you are a wilson owner, make sure to let me know if you would like to join us in a special listening session with my dad. He has a few treats to demo for you that won't be demoed to the public! :)

Thank you Debbie. Very gracious of you. Yes, we have the Wilson X1/Grand Slamms at home. Unfortunately will not be able to attend. Very much look forward to hearing all about the XLF + Thor combination...I honestly often wonder how the scale on that combination compares with, say, a Genesis 1.2/Dragon or Rockport Arrakis. I have been impressed by both speakers, and have only read about/seen on youtube the XLF with a Thor.

Many thanks again.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing