Wilson Audio Announces....

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Why has Wilson abandoned their original concept in offering upgrades to speakers to maintain customer satisfaction?

There are a lot of Sasha's out there. If the new tweeter is really so good, surely it would not be too hard to design one to be retrofitted.
This would keep a lot of customers satisfied and happy knowing they have the option.

buelligan

Dec 12, 2010
Re: Sasha 1 not upgradable

Disclosure: I used to work for a former Wilson dealer. I am an unapologetic Wilson enthusiast. Sadly, not yet an owner.

Forgive me if this point has been made and I missed it, but only speakers that use the same base drivers (i.e.Focal tweeter) can be upgraded. This is because different drivers all have different radiation characteristics, especially different "acoustic centers" (the effective wavelaunch points, which will affect time alignment).

Integrating the new drivers requires new mounting offsets and angles, thus requiring new enclosures. Even with the modular Sasha, this is just not cost effective. The new mid-tweeter module would be expensive and the old one would be worthless.

Now if meaningful advances occur in the crossover designs, I will expect to see them made available as an upgrade.
Henry Aguado

Last edited:

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
My first Wilson listening experience was Watt 3/Puppy 2. I could not afford them at the time and ended up with Aerial Acoustic 10t's....circa 1993 or so.

Did you hit the the lottery in 1994? :D

jap

Banned
Apr 6, 2012
Disclosure: I used to work for a former Wilson dealer. I am an unapologetic Wilson enthusiast. Sadly, not yet an owner.

Forgive me if this point has been made and I missed it, but only speakers that use the same base drivers (i.e.Focal tweeter) can be upgraded. This is because different drivers all have different radiation characteristics, especially different "acoustic centers" (the effective wavelaunch points, which will affect time alignment).

Integrating the new drivers requires new mounting offsets and angles, thus requiring new enclosures. Even with the modular Sasha, this is just not cost effective. The new mid-tweeter module would be expensive and the old one would be worthless.

Now if meaningful advances occur in the crossover designs, I will expect to see them made available as an upgrade.
Henry Aguado

"Sasha 1 not upgradable"

Debby posted this info on 11/20/13.

See post#6 in this thread.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I started with the WP 5.1 and the rest was history :)

The WP5's (later upgraded to 5.1) were also my first Wilson speakers - and this particular pair is still playing great with a pair of old VTL 450's in Belgium.

buelligan

Dec 12, 2010
Hey jap, Debbie informed us that it could not be upgraded. I attempted to give some possible reasons why not.
I don't understand why you posted.

jap

Banned
Apr 6, 2012
Hey jap, Debbie informed us that it could not be upgraded. I attempted to give some possible reasons why not.
I don't understand why you posted.

Henry,

The real question is why did you feel the need to explain why the Sasha Series 1 could not be upgraded?

In her post #13 & 15, Debby says the cabinets have been changed to accommodate the new driver.

The "teaser" video for the Sasha Series 2, also shows the revised side profile of the speaker.

Anyone who's been an audiophile for more than ten minutes know there's a difference in the radiation characteristics of a dome and inverted dome tweeter.

BTW, I don't understand how a "former Wilson dealer," and "an unapologetic Wilson enthusiast," could be happy listening to ProAc Super Tablettes.;-)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing