Wilson Alexia 1, DAW or Yvette

opm

Aug 8, 2021
Hello,

I have been looking to change my current speakers for 2 years and I have listened to many different models and what I liked the most was a Kharma dB9 and a Wilson Sasha DAW.

The tonality of the Kharma is incredibly natural and I like it a lot but I find it to be a very recessed and somewhat diffuse presentation.

Wilson is a brand that I have never liked. They had a very cold, crystalline and too analytical sound. But that changed a few months ago when I heard the DAWs, I was very impressed by such realistic presentation of "being there", something that I value very much in a system, and the more natural neutrality, more meat on the bones, explosive dynamics, texture and images. precise.

I can't afford a new or used DAW. So I could go for Alexia 1 or hopefully Yvette, which I haven't heard yet.

I'm scared to buy Alexia 1s without having heard them, so my question is how far or different are the Alexia 1s from DAWs, or the Yvettte in terms of tonality.

I hope your help.

By the way, my current setup is dCS Bartok, AR Ref150 SE and AR Ref6.

Last edited:

twitch

Jun 17, 2010
SE Pa
listen to these if you're able ...............

opm

Aug 8, 2021
I heard them recently.

I was very impressed by the image they project, in this sense it is the best I have ever heard.

but they are speakers that need a subwoofer, which I listened to with the 212.

a very precise system but the medium garves and bass did not quite like me.

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
@opm Given that you haven't been a fan of Wilson, I wouldn't jump on the Alexia 1 or Yvette without listening to them first.

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
If your desire is the DAW, then I would pick the Yvette. If you get the Alexia 1 it may be harder to trade up later as the Alexia 2 is more desired.
Then again if you go with the Alexia 1 you may just stop there and be happy.

opm

Aug 8, 2021
@opm Given that you haven't been a fan of Wilson, I wouldn't jump on the Alexia 1 or Yvette without listening to them first.
I have not been a fan of WP but the DAW is a very different story. I wonder if the Alexia 1 follows the same tonality.

Jpspock

Dec 26, 2018
And the DAW has the mid and treble of the WAMM… The DAW is easier to drive than an Alexia 1. II listened many times Alexia 1 and didn’t want to change my sasha for it. But for thé DAW , it was immediate. She is more free, more live, and especially her fluidity. She is really different than other Wilson. But this is my own point of view, shared by many…

Reactions: Dishman442

Nemal1

Dec 9, 2018
My speakers (Sasha DAW’s) have finally landed at my dealers after an almost 5 month wait so hoping to have them in the next couple of weeks.
My new CD player is arriving tomorrow so by Xmas am hoping to have a fully working analog and digital set up to use in lieu of headphones (finally!)

Nemal1

Dec 9, 2018
It’s a K-01xd which coincidentally arrived on Tuesday 7th December.
Speakers due by end of year…

MyFairLady333

Jun 7, 2021
Great combination. My system is an Esoteric K-01xd -> Luxman CL1000 preamp -> ARC 250SE -> Wilson DAW. The speakers are highly resolving and the bass is powerful.

rnsa2000

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2012
Hi all.
Interest thread.
I have the same doubt. However, in my case the main point is the size of my room, which measures 4.80m x 5.85m.
What do you think would be the most suitable speakers (Alexia 1, Sasha DAW oy Yvette)?
My system is described in my signature below to help.

Best regards.

Nemal1

Dec 9, 2018
Personally, Sasha DAW, but all would work in your room (based on size) and should you come to sell them, the newer model is likely to hold more value. I believe there’s an Alexia 3 on the way.

rnsa2000

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2012
Personally, Sasha DAW, but all would work in your room (based on size) and should you come to sell them, the newer model is likely to hold more value. I believe there’s an Alexia 3 on the way.
Thanks.

rnsa2000

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2012
I believe the choice would be between Sasha DAW and Alexia. However, it would be interesting to hear opinions about the main differences between the two boxes.

Midtown71

Dec 28, 2022
Found this thread am in a different position as the OP was originally but ultimately had the same question. I have Sophia 1 and have loved them for the past 3 years. I have a pair of Hsu Research TN1225 running with the 43Hz crossover module that blend beautifully. I live in Memphis about 2 miles from the EgglestonWorks factory. They set up a pair of the Vigintis in a hotel downtown a couple years ago. It is a sound room fed with streaming only so you can go in with your drink and listen. I fell in love with them and then toured EW and met the owner and heard their flagship Ivy Signature SEs in his office. I found a pair at a great price a few months ago and brought those big boys home in my Subaru Outback(no crates lol). They simply did not work...so bummed. Their bass performance was weaker than the Sophia and they were too bright. I love the Sophias but know I will want to try again one day and will likely stay with Wilson. I sent this same question to Wilson but wanted to ask here as well. Since the Sophias work in my room would you expect a greater chance of larger Wilsons to also work in my room? I feel like the Alexia 1 would be my target as I always buy used to get the greatest performance value.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I feel like the Alexia 1 would be my target as I always buy used to get the greatest performance value.

Welcome to WBF!

Can you aim for used Alexia IIs?

Midtown71

Dec 28, 2022
Welcome to WBF!

Can you aim for used Alexia IIs?
It does appear that if I can budget for 1s then 2s may not be out of reach. Looking at HiFi Shark it appears that 1s have been around $15k and 2s may be low to mid $20k. Would you suspect either to work in the same space Sophias work? For that matter should any of the mid-level Wilsons work where a Sophia works?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing