Will's Horn Finalists

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
I demoed the WFL SON alongside the Nenuphar with a dealer - accompanying electronics were AC Genus, Helene DAC and Pink Faun streamer. I don't think the Nenuphars were setup right that day - maybe it was positioning. The single driver as a point source was too noticeable and when I played Led Zeppelin the guitars were awful - a real screechy mess. I did come away thinking that I would have to listen to them again in a different setting or setup to make a more informed decision. Although your comments on rock in general and that speaker sounds like they wouldn't be suitable for my tastes since I generally listen to a wide range of music.

The SONs we used with the AC combination and tried a Mola Mola Tambaqui with a Nagra Classic Integrated. I didn't expect the latter to perform well but actually really enjoyed the combination. The demo room was very large and with a great deal of acoustic treatment, the speakers were also sitting on carpet - so your comment about platforms with Sorbothane is interesting and may account for some of my listening impressions. The SON sounds much bigger than their size would have you believe, they cast a wide and high (for their size) soundstage. Very fluid sounding - maybe it's the microdynamics, I don't know, but they seemed to pull out small fluctuations in music and this just gave the overall sound a smooth flow. Very unfatiguing, one of my overriding impressions was that I could sit down in front of these and listen to music for long periods.

I played a whole variety of music, in this case not classical and they coped extremely well. Again the one track that gave me doubts was, 'Whole lotta love' - Led Zeppelin, just the depth of bass and sheer grunt on the guitars was missing. I'm not sure whether that was the room or the fact that the SONs were positioned on the carpet. A speaker that is definitely on the shortlist, not least because my living room could cope with their size.
What is the retail price of the Son?

hogen

May 15, 2018
Oslo, Norway
I demoed the WFL SON alongside the Nenuphar with a dealer - accompanying electronics were AC Genus, Helene DAC and Pink Faun streamer. I don't think the Nenuphars were setup right that day - maybe it was positioning. The single driver as a point source was too noticeable and when I played Led Zeppelin the guitars were awful - a real screechy mess. I did come away thinking that I would have to listen to them again in a different setting or setup to make a more informed decision. Although your comments on rock in general and that speaker sounds like they wouldn't be suitable for my tastes since I generally listen to a wide range of music.

The SONs we used with the AC combination and tried a Mola Mola Tambaqui with a Nagra Classic Integrated. I didn't expect the latter to perform well but actually really enjoyed the combination. The demo room was very large and with a great deal of acoustic treatment, the speakers were also sitting on carpet - so your comment about platforms with Sorbothane is interesting and may account for some of my listening impressions. The SON sounds much bigger than their size would have you believe, they cast a wide and high (for their size) soundstage. Very fluid sounding - maybe it's the microdynamics, I don't know, but they seemed to pull out small fluctuations in music and this just gave the overall sound a smooth flow. Very unfatiguing, one of my overriding impressions was that I could sit down in front of these and listen to music for long periods.

I played a whole variety of music, in this case not classical and they coped extremely well. Again the one track that gave me doubts was, 'Whole lotta love' - Led Zeppelin, just the depth of bass and sheer grunt on the guitars was missing. I'm not sure whether that was the room or the fact that the SONs were positioned on the carpet. A speaker that is definitely on the shortlist, not least because my living room could cope with their size.

The SON have been one of my favorites in München in both 2018 and 2019. I suspect they are very good speakers.

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
Man, talking about a thread that got totally hijacked....this is it. I will post an update on my new system within the next month. So much has happened to me.

Yakamozan

Jul 23, 2019
Yakamazon, thanks for the interesting report. I am currently also looking at the Nenuphar and the Son but have not yet found an opportunity to audition either speaker in the Frankfurt area. Could you please be a bit more specific in what respects you preferred the Son over the Nenuphar? It seems to have been love at first sight/audition.
And have you changed. to the Diana Forte because you felt the Genus is not able to drive the Son sufficiently in your room?
Hi Gemini,
differences, in general, i described in previous posts in this thread.
If you are around Frankfurt area, listening and comparing the Son´s and the Nenuphar´s, a coffee is always ready to go. If you then decide, the Nenuphar is for you, you don´t need to look any further, as my pair is bought from German distribution and is at least a 9,5/10, and you get a killer deal. If the Son´s for you, i´m not selling mine as it is part of the deal to upgrade to Chicago, therefore selling that one, doesn´t make sense, as we will upgrade the next 12 months, but with the WvL, you can contact the company directly and either they will direct you to the next dealer, or in case their showroom is closer, you drive there and buy there.
Upgrading the Genus had to do with the big room we are about to build, the extra power that comes with the Diana, and of course implementing the Incito S.
If it is not acoustical, small combo, classic, vocal music etc., the Son is much more fun, especially with more dynamic music, such as rock, electro, rap etc.
If you only listen to acoustical music, i believe the Nenuphar are very high up in line, and that is being achieved, as far as i understood, by the best topology there is ( cable from amp straight into the speaker chassis ), a way to get diameter inside the chassis, without killing the high´s, and building a cabinet, that allows the bass to act almost full range. If you mostly listen to this kind of music, and if your room is not beyond 40sqm., you will have a hard time to find a match i´d say. Comparing 1:1, i prefer the Son, but i´m a Tool, Massive Attack and Pearl Jam etc. fan as well, and that, even though very impressive through a widebander, no competition for the Son really.
Hope that help. In Case you want to check out the speakers, drop me a pm please

Gemini

Oct 14, 2015
Germany
Hi Gemini,
differences, in general, i described in previous posts in this thread.
If you are around Frankfurt area, listening and comparing the Son´s and the Nenuphar´s, a coffee is always ready to go. If you then decide, the Nenuphar is for you, you don´t need to look any further, as my pair is bought from German distribution and is at least a 9,5/10, and you get a killer deal. If the Son´s for you, i´m not selling mine as it is part of the deal to upgrade to Chicago, therefore selling that one, doesn´t make sense, as we will upgrade the next 12 months, but with the WvL, you can contact the company directly and either they will direct you to the next dealer, or in case their showroom is closer, you drive there and buy there.
Upgrading the Genus had to do with the big room we are about to build, the extra power that comes with the Diana, and of course implementing the Incito S.
If it is not acoustical, small combo, classic, vocal music etc., the Son is much more fun, especially with more dynamic music, such as rock, electro, rap etc.
If you only listen to acoustical music, i believe the Nenuphar are very high up in line, and that is being achieved, as far as i understood, by the best topology there is ( cable from amp straight into the speaker chassis ), a way to get diameter inside the chassis, without killing the high´s, and building a cabinet, that allows the bass to act almost full range. If you mostly listen to this kind of music, and if your room is not beyond 40sqm., you will have a hard time to find a match i´d say. Comparing 1:1, i prefer the Son, but i´m a Tool, Massive Attack and Pearl Jam etc. fan as well, and that, even though very impressive through a widebander, no competition for the Son really.
Hope that help. In Case you want to check out the speakers, drop me a pm please
Very much appreciated!

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
A preview just sent to me on my Viking Acoustic Grande Voix Speakers. I have waited a year. Tomorrow they are in test mode. I am hoping to take delivery in a week. 2D1AF7D2-5B85-420A-B654-1D5E2E08E088.jpeg

gestalt

Aug 3, 2019
Nashville, TN
gestalt.audio

gestalt

Aug 3, 2019
Nashville, TN
gestalt.audio
You and I listen to all the same music :) I need to hear the WVL Son - had been considering the Cubes for a second speaker but was concerned on rock and electronica. Seems a simpler music type speaker.

Thank you for you comments.
Another fun opportunity should you find yourself on this side of the country! :D

Reactions: KeithR

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
Many of you have followed my journey over the last 18 months to find a new system while building a new home.. I received tons of advice under Audiogon's forum - Horn Speaker Recommendation and then Will's Horn finalists through What's Best Forum.

My last system included Wilson Audio Duette 2's and Sonus Faber Amati Tradition Homage speakers, with a Raven Reflection MK2 integrated tube amp and Lumin A-1 and X-1 DAC / Streamer.

After selling my housa including all of my audio system, I embarked on a national search for new components from New Jersey to Southern California. I listened to over 30 different speakers. I live in Arizona.

I ended up buying Canary Audio Grande Reference 300 B mono amps. There are 16 golden lion 300 B tubes along with TUNGSOL rectifier tubes. This is mate to a Canary Audio C1800 pre-amp. I also have the LUMIN X-1 Dac / Streamer. I have perfect path technologies tweaks everywhere and I have 15 synergistic research HFT's in strategic locations. I have an InaKustic 3500P Power Conditioner and power cords and cables.

After an exhaustive search, I settled on Viking Acoustic Grande Voix speakers. I now have roughly 50 hours on my system and I could not be happier. It is the best system that I have owned. I was worried about bass response with a horn speakers but with an 18 inch woofer I have Bass personified. The Grande Voix have two hand-turned carved wood horns on each speaker in a custom black finish with woodtone dual horns. In my case, I need to be able to place them close to a back wall and these work perfect. I have a Cavernous room with 16 foot cathedral ceilings. Some would say that would be an acoustic nightmare. However, the Grand Voix's deliver big Symphonic sound and that is what I was after. I wanted to be able to hear the strings, the sliding fingers down the guitar frets, the pinging of the piano, the accuracy of a trumpet or saxophone and the beauty of a violin or cello. The speaker works well with rock also. It can play loud. However I am more into critical listening with the separation of the musical instruments as if I was the engineer on the soundboard

My Point of reference starts with Mark Isham - Ashes and Diamonds. The piano and trumpet are so clear and concise it makes you feel like your are sitting next to the artist. The same for - On the threshhold of Liberty. Hearing each musical instrument on this track is really important for me. Then moving on to Will Ackerman - Floyd's Ghost. The guitar screeches, piano solo's are perfectly balanced in each speaker. For critical listening the Imaginary Road album would help you define the quality of your system. Finally for voicing I selected Eva Cassidy - Somewhere over the Rainbow, Jewel - Love used to be and Annette Askvik - Liberty. The performance of the Grande Voix absolutely blows away the performance of my more expensive Sonus Faber speakers by a long shot. I thought I was sitting in the front row of a live concert listening to these talented singers and the sax at the end of Liberty just emphasized how good these speakers really perform. For fun I then tried some techno music from Yello. The sound pressure level is unreal ....you could say "club live". The sound was huge, deep and no distortion, which is proof the the Canary Amps with 125 WPC of 300B power can easily drive my 98db Grande Voix speakers with ease in my large room. Even when I am in another room I can still hear the spearation of musical instruments.

One item that separates Viking from say mass production speakers is that David Counsell can image the speakers to your musical tastes. When he listened to my speakers after they were initially completed he thought they were imaged too much toward a Rock taste in early testing. He quickly changed them to meet my more musical tastes. i will also say his woodworking skills and finish are exceptional. My wife was not a fan of horn speakers to begin with but after seeing these she changed her tune.

Throughout this whole process of building a house and finding a new system, I had some major health problems this summer which left me Functionally Blind. So, if there are mistakes....oh well.... Sometimes voice activation doesn't work as well as I would like.

I would like to thank all of you who participated in my forum and a special thanks to the following people:

Krissy Tetrault - Perfect Path Technologies
Dave Lalin - The Audio Doctor
Larry Diaz - High End Audio Palace
Peter - The Cable Company
Bob - Worldwide Wholesales
David Counsell - Viking Acoustics
John and Tony - Canary Audio

Finally, I think I almost have my be all end all system. David makes a speaker called Gottenburg which would be my dream. I am also thinking about a Lampizator Pacific DAC even though I love my Lumin X-1. Are Audiophiles ever perfectly happy with their system...LOL Peace and Happiness in the new year.

Attachments

• IMG_0648.jpg
    IMG_0648.jpg
    539 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0649.jpg
    IMG_0649.jpg
    587.3 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0650.jpg
    IMG_0650.jpg
    611 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0651.jpg
    IMG_0651.jpg
    351.8 KB · Views: 41

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Congratulations on the conclusion of your journey, and the installation of your system! It looks great! Those speakers are very interesting!

Canary Audio is not far from our WBF Long Beach/La Habra Group, and there is a lot of love for Canary.

May your new system give you years of listening pleasure and musical bliss!

PS: Digital is not my field, but there is something special about that Lampizator Pacific DAC. I feel there is no doubt about it.

Reactions: christoph

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Many of you have followed my journey over the last 18 months to find a new system while building a new home.. I received tons of advice under Audiogon's forum - Horn Speaker Recommendation and then Will's Horn finalists through What's Best Forum.

My last system included Wilson Audio Duette 2's and Sonus Faber Amati Tradition Homage speakers, with a Raven Reflection MK2 integrated tube amp and Lumin A-1 and X-1 DAC / Streamer.

After selling my housa including all of my audio system, I embarked on a national search for new components from New Jersey to Southern California. I listened to over 30 different speakers. I live in Arizona.

I ended up buying Canary Audio Grande Reference 300 B mono amps. There are 16 golden lion 300 B tubes along with TUNGSOL rectifier tubes. This is mate to a Canary Audio C1800 pre-amp. I also have the LUMIN X-1 Dac / Streamer. I have perfect path technologies tweaks everywhere and I have 15 synergistic research HFT's in strategic locations. I have an InaKustic 3500P Power Conditioner and power cords and cables.

After an exhaustive search, I settled on Viking Acoustic Grande Voix speakers. I now have roughly 50 hours on my system and I could not be happier. It is the best system that I have owned. I was worried about bass response with a horn speakers but with an 18 inch woofer I have Bass personified. The Grande Voix have two hand-turned carved wood horns on each speaker in a custom black finish with woodtone dual horns. In my case, I need to be able to place them close to a back wall and these work perfect. I have a Cavernous room with 16 foot cathedral ceilings. Some would say that would be an acoustic nightmare. However, the Grand Voix's deliver big Symphonic sound and that is what I was after. I wanted to be able to hear the strings, the sliding fingers down the guitar frets, the pinging of the piano, the accuracy of a trumpet or saxophone and the beauty of a violin or cello. The speaker works well with rock also. It can play loud. However I am more into critical listening with the separation of the musical instruments as if I was the engineer on the soundboard

My Point of reference starts with Mark Isham - Ashes and Diamonds. The piano and trumpet are so clear and concise it makes you feel like your are sitting next to the artist. The same for - On the threshhold of Liberty. Hearing each musical instrument on this track is really important for me. Then moving on to Will Ackerman - Floyd's Ghost. The guitar screeches, piano solo's are perfectly balanced in each speaker. For critical listening the Imaginary Road album would help you define the quality of your system. Finally for voicing I selected Eva Cassidy - Somewhere over the Rainbow, Jewel - Love used to be and Annette Askvik - Liberty. The performance of the Grande Voix absolutely blows away the performance of my more expensive Sonus Faber speakers by a long shot. I thought I was sitting in the front row of a live concert listening to these talented singers and the sax at the end of Liberty just emphasized how good these speakers really perform. For fun I then tried some techno music from Yello. The sound pressure level is unreal ....you could say "club live". The sound was huge, deep and no distortion, which is proof the the Canary Amps with 125 WPC of 300B power can easily drive my 98db Grande Voix speakers with ease in my large room. Even when I am in another room I can still hear the spearation of musical instruments.

One item that separates Viking from say mass production speakers is that David Counsell can image the speakers to your musical tastes. When he listened to my speakers after they were initially completed he thought they were imaged too much toward a Rock taste in early testing. He quickly changed them to meet my more musical tastes. i will also say his woodworking skills and finish are exceptional. My wife was not a fan of horn speakers to begin with but after seeing these she changed her tune.

Throughout this whole process of building a house and finding a new system, I had some major health problems this summer which left me Functionally Blind. So, if there are mistakes....oh well.... Sometimes voice activation doesn't work as well as I would like.

I would like to thank all of you who participated in my forum and a special thanks to the following people:

Finally, I think I almost have my be all end all system. David makes a speaker called Gottenburg which would be my dream. I am also thinking about a Lampizator Pacific DAC even though I love my Lumin X-1. Are Audiophiles ever perfectly happy with their system...LOL Peace and Happiness in the new year.
Hi Will
Thanks for sharing and enjoy your wonderful system :cool:

Yakamozan

Jul 23, 2019
You have a killer avatar BTW.

Thanks for the insights. I´m waiting on things returning to normal again and will then have extended listen to the WvL Chicago´s, which is top of the list without competition at the moment.
By now, i am very much tempted to just order them, but i do not know for sure if they will work in my 100sqm loft with approx. 500 cubic of air to move. Thomas (Fast audio) as well as Wolf, both are convinced, it will work just fine, but said that we should try it first.

Looking at the Viking System, the specs and your review, this could be an alternative to at least check and listen, in case, the open baffle of the Chicago´s will not produce the bass sound in my big room, that i like to hear from a 50+k speaker.

Is there a dealer for this speaker in Germany or a demo room to check them out ?

ps. Aries Cerat Diana Forte has arrived now ( Thanks to Brad Morrical from Sound Castle for this beautiful fat lady it´s good to know that there are at least some dealers out there, which are fun to deal with ! It´s been a pleasure mate ).

My Aries Cerat Genus 813 ( one of the latest 813 built, with separate bias control for each channel ) will go out for sale soon, together with my Lampi Big 7 SE, incl. Kron242RK and RK recti next to the 45´s and 274, which i believe is still more magic than most of the Dac´s on the market today and all the Lampi´s up to the GG2.5, which i had in house for a month from Lukasz, ending up calling him and asking him: "Lukasz, how come the 2.5 makes every single thing better then my Big 7 as it seems, but the Big 7 is clearly more joy to listen?".
His answer, after a loud laugh " That´s the beauty of the Big7 and the reason why so many dealers have this particular DAC as their favorite source still in their show rooms. The chip set inside the Big 7, in combination with the parts we put in there makes it much more emotionally involving, even if there is obviously less resolution and timbre".

Might be the final DAC for quite some folks out there. I´ll drop a note here, once i put it out on Audio-Markt.de.

Genus + Big7, connected with a FTA Ganymede RCA = perfect match and for most music lovers maybe the final word in music reproduction.

Reactions: morricab

Yakamozan

Jul 23, 2019
Massive Attack is one of my all time favorite "bands." How is the ribbon integration with the 12"?
I´d say, perfectly fine. Probably much related to the fact, that the field coil driver is not handling the lowest frequencies, which are mostly handled by the passive radiator on the back of the Son´s. At least, if i got it right ....

Exlibris

Oct 7, 2015
Canada
systems.audiogon.com
Thanks for the insights. I´m waiting on things returning to normal again and will then have extended listen to the WvL Chicago´s, which is top of the list without competition at the moment.
By now, i am very much tempted to just order them, but i do not know for sure if they will work in my 100sqm loft with approx. 500 cubic of air to move. Thomas (Fast audio) as well as Wolf, both are convinced, it will work just fine, but said that we should try it first.

Looking at the Viking System, the specs and your review, this could be an alternative to at least check and listen, in case, the open baffle of the Chicago´s will not produce the bass sound in my big room, that i like to hear from a 50+k speaker.

Is there a dealer for this speaker in Germany or a demo room to check them out ?

ps. Aries Cerat Diana Forte has arrived now ( Thanks to Brad Morrical from Sound Castle for this beautiful fat lady it´s good to know that there are at least some dealers out there, which are fun to deal with ! It´s been a pleasure mate ).

My Aries Cerat Genus 813 ( one of the latest 813 built, with separate bias control for each channel ) will go out for sale soon, together with my Lampi Big 7 SE, incl. Kron242RK and RK recti next to the 45´s and 274, which i believe is still more magic than most of the Dac´s on the market today and all the Lampi´s up to the GG2.5, which i had in house for a month from Lukasz, ending up calling him and asking him: "Lukasz, how come the 2.5 makes every single thing better then my Big 7 as it seems, but the Big 7 is clearly more joy to listen?".
His answer, after a loud laugh " That´s the beauty of the Big7 and the reason why so many dealers have this particular DAC as their favorite source still in their show rooms. The chip set inside the Big 7, in combination with the parts we put in there makes it much more emotionally involving, even if there is obviously less resolution and timbre".

Might be the final DAC for quite some folks out there. I´ll drop a note here, once i put it out on Audio-Markt.de.

Genus + Big7, connected with a FTA Ganymede RCA = perfect match and for most music lovers maybe the final word in music reproduction.
Would you say a few words about how the Aries Cerat Diana Forte compares to the Aries Cerat Genus 813?

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Would you say a few words about how the Aries Cerat Diana Forte compares to the Aries Cerat Genus 813?
I don’t know if he has set it up yet but I can say that sonically they have a similar character where the amps don’t get in the way of what’s on the recording by editorializing the tonality. Transparency is about the same for both, being the best I have heard outside of a couple OTLs.
Where Diana Forte gives more is in the slam and dynamics, which are already very high for Genus, and for some speaker types (Particularly vented and sealed box) a more potent bottom end. Obviously with 60 watts headroom is higher.

Forte might have a tiny bit more inner resolution due to being all direct heated (it uses an 814 as a driver vs. E280F for Genus) but this is pretty subtle I would say.

Yakamozan

Jul 23, 2019
I honestly haven´t set it up yet.
Escaped Germany before the latest lock down in Dec., enjoying myself at the seaside way south, wondering how it happened to be, that the democrats in Germany are on the streets and demonstrating, while the leading government is full of fascists...Sad but true... Couldn´t really stand it any longer ...
Happy to drop a note once i´ve installed it

Reactions: Exlibris

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing