Why no love for Focal?

AudioGod

Aug 27, 2023
Finland
Focal speakers are some of the best I've heard
Their beryllium tweeter is probably the best I've heard.
And there's seem to be little talk about them around here .
Why is that ?
Are they not "hi end " enough ?

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Well they maybe aren't the Speaker to die for --rather to die with:oops:!

Saw this on another site this week--haven't witnessed "depreciation" like this since early YG days.

BruceD
Focal 1.jpg

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Focal is a huge company, bigger than most if not all considered part of the "Hi-End". They do have a distinct house sound from pro to car audio to affordable to flagship. Seeing as how big they are they must cater to a lot of people's aesthetic senses maybe just not in this particular forum. My non-audiophile brother has a Focal HT set and he's happy with them. Chorales If I'm not mistaken. He's not crazy like Jimmy and myself LOL

Personally I find them on the light and sparkly side with lots of speed when paired with the usual electronics. Champagne would be my analogy. The only other French speaker company that I have heard at length is Triangle which shares that sparkliness. Curiously enough French electronics I am familiar with like YBA or EERA are full bodied and less sparkly so maybe going all French, these balance out? I really don't know.

AudioGod

Aug 27, 2023
Finland
Focal is a huge company, bigger than most if not all considered part of the "Hi-End". They do have a distinct house sound from pro to car audio to affordable to flagship. Seeing as how big they are they must cater to a lot of people's aesthetic senses maybe just not in this particular forum. My non-audiophile brother has a Focal HT set and he's happy with them. Chorales If I'm not mistaken. He's not crazy like Jimmy and myself LOL

Personally I find them on the light and sparkly side with lots of speed when paired with the usual electronics. Champagne would be my analogy. The only other French speaker company that I have heard at length is Triangle which shares that sparkliness. Curiously enough French electronics I am familiar with like YBA or EERA are full bodied and less sparkly so maybe going all French, these balance out? I really don't know.
Hi end Focals(Utopia )are on a different level

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I've heard 3 generations of Grands. They are what they are just like any speaker. If you like them don't let anybody tell you otherwise.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Bruce, all flagship speakers drop off more than the mid-line models especially when they are superceded. It is a question of demand not quality. The size being the single biggest market shrinker.

divertiti

Jan 12, 2021
Why is that ?
What have you heard in comparison?

Reactions: AudioGod

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
big Focal Utopia's from various years mostly sound good at shows depending on amplification. formidable in many ways. but to my ears the broad front face design approach seems to cause diminished precision and clarity for their price. they don't ever grab me.

i guess i'm watching them as much as hearing them and trying to understand what is holding them back. connecting dots. my SWAG about the face plate could be way off base. might be something else.

i want to like them, but are always shades of 'meh'. especially considering the price/value. this is over 20+ years of hearing them at shows. never heard the big one's in a mature system.

but i certainly view Focal as a quality 'High End' speaker brand and can be a centerpiece of a great system. just not mine.

Last edited:

Porsche

Apr 22, 2023
never been a fan, ive heard several of there grande utopias/utopias and I would never have them in one of my systems but to each there own

Reactions: AudioGod

caesar

May 30, 2010
Why is that ?

Focal is a large, successful hi fi company, in a very small industry. They have sold a good number of their flagship speakers through the years.

As with any luxury hi fi brand, some owners are "clueless rich guys" and some are very knowledgeable audiophiles. The owners just don't happen to hang out on forums. The people who hang out and post on this forum are not necessarily the representative sample of what's out there in the overall industry.

If you were to hang out with the Focal fan social network, Focal is generally marketed as a "non-aggressive Wilson".

Furthermore, their styling is more WAF friendly for the more contemporary home, versus say wilson or magico.

Porsche

Apr 22, 2023
Ha! I was the same for Wilsons. With all the positive reviews and the cutting edge tech, seems I “should” like it. I tried hard to like them at several dealers and audio shows but it just never resonated with me.

same hear, everyone raves about focal and Wilsons, not my cup of tea at all

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Well they maybe aren't the Speaker to die for --rather to die with:oops:!

Saw this on another site this week--haven't witnessed "depreciation" like this since early YG days.

BruceD
View attachment 120502

They are cheap for a specific financial reason.

A2A had a falling out with Focal/Naim and were dumped as the AU distributor. But they made them keep all their inventory.

Hence, atm Focal and Naim, especially the high end are for sale at worlds best prices, as the old distributor needs to get rid of his inventory.

AudioGod

Aug 27, 2023
Finland
They are cheap for a specific financial reason.

A2A had a falling out with Focal/Naim and were dumped as the AU distributor. But they made them keep all their inventory.

Hence, atm Focal and Naim, especially the high end are for sale at worlds best prices, as the old distributor needs to get rid of his inventory.
The prices are amazing

Reactions: XV-1

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing