Why doesn’t dCS partner with CH Precision for transports?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I think this is true but the demand for transports is still there. CD and SACD playback has a big advantage over streaming: the user controls the selection of the mastering and hence the sound quality to some extent.

And ownership, physical contact and ritual of handling the media. For me , it is still much more comfortable to pick something in my CD collection than selecting music in the 70 millions recordings of Qobuz.

But surely CD handling was more ritualistic with the impressive Forsell CD toaster than with the dCS drawer transport.
Some will say that the frisson of knowing if the gas spring rod was operating properly or not also added emotion to the ceremony ...

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
IOT partner with dCS they (CH) need to make a CD/SACD transport first. The transport used in CH D1.5 is a Marantz unit bolted on metal block. Unlike Sony, Philips, Marantz or Sanyo, the companies like CH and dCS don't have the resources, engineering background and the desire to build a transport. I highly doubt they built an IC yet, let alone a full transport with control electronics.

On the other hand buying a good transport from a respectable manufacturer putting it onto a metal block and designing a fancy case for the unit full of ICs from Japanese companies is much easier and profitable. We can not blame CH or dCS for diong this cause same is true for almost all high end companies.

IMHO there is nothing to partner.

Seems they buy the Marantz, then grab the spindle and laser eye, and then thrown everything else out. So it’s very much a full rebuild. new operational software too,

rob

Jul 11, 2012
Seem like a strange idea to me.
Almost Reads as a sneaky advertisement for DCS,

“Partnered with dCS it would be great PR and a huge seal of approval for CH”

“CH Precision: Our new transport is so good dCS wanted it!”

why on earth would CH want to offer a competitor something they invested money in, why would it be so good for CH to have a seal of approval from DCS,? Wouldn’t CS claiming even DCS wanted it equate to them saying DCS is awesome?
The companies are in competition for a very small customer base!

None of this makes any sense to me.

“There’s a new king in transports”

This all reeks of marketing jargon to me and would only make me wary of a companies own confidence in their engineering chops.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: AndrewChen and XV-1

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Seem like a strange idea to me.
Almost Reads as a sneaky advertisement for DCS,

“Partnered with dCS it would be great PR and a huge seal of approval for CH”

“CH Precision: Our new transport is so good dCS wanted it!”

why on earth would CH want to offer a competitor something they invested money in, why would it be so good for CH to have a seal of approval from DCS,? Wouldn’t CS claiming even DCS wanted it equate to them saying DCS is awesome?
The companies are in competition for a very small customer base!

None of this makes any sense to me.

“There’s a new king in transports”

This all reeks of marketing jargon to me and would only make me wary of a companies own confidence in their engineering chops.

• Haha
Reactions: XV-1

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Sounds like blah blah modern marketing buzz words to me.
clicks,likes,views and comments.
can’t deny it works though.

As someone who works on business strategy issues in the corporate world, I can tell you it is a well-proven business model at this point.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
If you don’t like the discussion, you don’t have to click on it.

Lee, I can play this game all day if that is what you want.

Only a (omitted) would start a thread without checking any facts - or an alleged lame arse reviewer regurgitating manufacturers marketing blurb for cheap gear.

AndrewChen

Jul 27, 2018
The Rossini transport is around $25K. The transport is excellent but arguably not at Esoteric levels.

And what is the basis for your comment that it's not at the Esoteric level? Do you have any evidence of this or just your conjecture?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
IOT partner with dCS they (CH) need to make a CD/SACD transport first. The transport used in CH D1.5 is a Marantz unit bolted on metal block. Unlike Sony, Philips, Marantz or Sanyo, the companies like CH and dCS don't have the resources, engineering background and the desire to build a transport. I highly doubt they built an IC yet, let alone a full transport with control electronics.

On the other hand buying a good transport from a respectable manufacturer putting it onto a metal block and designing a fancy case for the unit full of ICs from Japanese companies is much easier and profitable. We can not blame CH or dCS for diong this cause same is true for almost all high end companies.

IMHO there is nothing to partner.

i think if information wise many do not know this, we can still reword the original post as does it make sense for dCS to take the marantz unit bolted on a metal block from CH to convince the market to pay a premium for the venture between a company resident in the U.K. (high talk estate and labour costs) and a company resident in Switzerland (high real estate and labour costs)?

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
i think if information wise many do not know this, we can still reword the original post as does it make sense for dCS to take the marantz unit bolted on a metal block from CH to convince the market to pay a premium for the venture between a company resident in the U.K. (high talk estate and labour costs) and a company resident in Switzerland (high real estate and labour costs)?
I think it would be more appropriate. Alternately dCS can buy the transport directly from Marantz and bolt it onto a metal block in house. We can discuss that too.

It’s written at the hifi+ magazine CH D1.5 review "only laser block and motor are scavenged from Marantz unit" as if it doesn't mean the whole transport. A CD/SACD transport means a spindle motor, a laser block and servo control cards, nothing else. Servo cards are needed to control motor and laser and proprietary to original manufacturer.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I think it would be more appropriate. Alternately dCS can buy the transport directly from Marantz and bolt it onto a metal block in house. We can discuss that too.
Doesn’t sound cool enough, will make people think they are getting fleeced for lower quality products rather than suspend disbelief it is a high quality, proud-to-announce purchase. Don’t think this will be statistically preferred

Reactions: mtemur

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia

It’s written at the hifi+ magazine CH D1.5 review "only laser block and motor are scavenged from Marantz unit" as if it doesn't mean the whole transport. A CD/SACD transport means a spindle motor, a laser block and servo control cards, nothing else. Servo cards are needed to control motor and laser and proprietary to original manufacturer.

That’s not correct. The platform, the control software, the sled were all changed. It’s a significant redo. As Alan himself says::

”A big part of the reason for the D1.5’s significance in 21st Century top-notch disc-spinning comes down to the transport. That high mass transport mechanism (MORSe to its friends) is a thing of beauty. There are two parts of a transport that are ludicrously expensive to fabricate for a company that isn’t making transports by the millions; the laser eye and the spindle. Technically, a company could even fabricate the spindle if it went a little crazy, but even in the highest of high-end there’s a degree of pragmatism that holds when facing vast tooling costs to make something that is already well-designed and engineered elsewhere. The laser eye… well, that’s simply outside of the wheelhouse of almost all companies in the audio world. In making its transport mech, CH Precision used the spindle-housing and laser eye from top-end Denon/Marantz CD/SACD players and engineered the rest. In other words, this is a massively engineered, 3kg transport mechanism that uses two parts from another company’s CD/SACD sled. The cynics in audio – of which there are many – will doubtless claim this means the D1.5 ‘is built around a Denon or a Marantz’ but that’s like saying a gin and tonic that’s in the same room as a bottle of vermouth is a martini!”

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
And what is the basis for your comment that it's not at the Esoteric level? Do you have any evidence of this or just your conjecture?

Experience based on my friend’s having esoteric transports and my use of the Rossini transport.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Lee, I can play this game all day if that is what you want.

Only a (omitted) would start a thread without checking any facts - or an alleged lame arse reviewer regurgitating manufacturers marketing blurb for cheap gear.

Seems you only know how to make personal attacks and not consider someone’s different point of view.

facten

Feb 13, 2022
Tennessee
WBF gets held up as above the commentary on Audiogon and yet

If you don’t like the discussion, you don’t have to click on it.

Only a (omitted) would start a thread without checking any facts - or an alleged lame arse reviewer regurgitating manufacturers marketing blurb for cheap gear

Not to mention some of the back and forth on the Towards a Better WBF thread. The above two posts definitely shoot down the initial premise of that thread Lee

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: AndrewChen and XV-1

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
WBF gets held up as above the commentary on Audiogon and yet

Not to mention some of the back and forth on the Make WBT Better thread. The above two posts definitely shoot down the initial premise of that thread Lee

yeah, I should not have called him a (omitted) but I was frustrated by the lack of respect. This was a thoughtful and well intended thread and it should not be called BS. That’s the lack of respect we see here daily on WBF.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Seems you only know how to make personal attacks and not consider someone’s different point of view.

Just playing your game Lee. It's fine for you to throw out personal insults, yet when someone does the same you chuck a hissy fit.

If you don't like it, don't play with matches - you will get burnt.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing