Why do High-Efficiency Lovers primarily prefer R–2R DACs? And which specific ones?

paul79

Nov 2, 2014
OK, USA
www.manymoonsaudio.com
Because R2R done right tends to be allot more fluid, clear, and analog sounding. Think of your very sensitive very revealing speakers as a microscope. When you have that in your system, the rest needs to be right or they will tell you all about it. I will say though, that the most important thing to get right with a sensitive speaker is an amplifier that makes them happy.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
High efficiency is overrated, but R-2R/ladder DACs aren't.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
High efficiency is underrated, r2r DACs are overrated lol

opus112

Feb 24, 2016
Zhejiang
Could be because high efficiency lovers are dynamics junkies and R2R DACs tend to avoid those dynamics-slaying devices called opamps?

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
So, if I move from GG2 (R2R) to Pacific (delta sigma), I’ll have to change my speakers to low efficient ones?o_Oo_O;)

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Says a YG dealer ;)

And WIlson, and Evolution Acoustics, and many others :)
High-efficiency doesn't guarantee good sound quality, that's all. There are many ways to skin that particular cat, and not all of them lead to (to my ears) good results.

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
Probably they like R2R because the new ones are more discrete in design, which means that the digital filtering can be carefully selected or non-existent. Digital filtering is usually the culprit in Delta-Sigma designs. Orthogonal to high-efficiency speakers IME.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing