Who’s up for a $2800 fuse?

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
From what I have read , a good number of folk have A-B’d the SR Orange against the QSA Yellow and universally preferred the latter.
I haven’t seen anyone commenting with regard to the SR Purple ... as far as I am aware they have only just commenced shipping.
How much are the QSA Yellow again?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
How much are the QSA Yellow again?
I asked the same questions, and from what I could see on the net, it looked like 'about' the same as the Synergistic Research Orange fuse ($200 or so). The QSA purple is more like $700.

Reactions: christoph

matakana

Aug 26, 2020
UK
I asked the same questions, and from what I could see on the net, it looked like 'about' the same as the Synergistic Research Orange fuse ($200 or so). The QSA purple is more like $700.
So that likely equates to £700 in the uk , I would hope there would be exceptional backup with these from the dealers since the SR fuses are renowned to blow quite easily from what I have read and would hope their rating are spot on as it could be a very expensive affair indeed !

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Not wanting to seem random but I’d consider a cable or tube upgrade might be potentially a better return on investment. Fuses are essentially functionally sacrificial components… if you can pick up the equivalent sonic gains in another aspect of the system that isn’t designed to self destruct that might be a reliably more economical spend.

I bought into the fuse thing but reality is that other areas of system investment can bring possibly bigger potential wins. A fuse seems to me to be a potential moment of minutiae madness… with some great sacrificial pain potentially attached… your expensive mileage may vary.

Last edited:
Reactions: matakana

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I do remember during my period of fuses madness and convincing myself to go the upmarket route, cursing my preamp as I lifted the hood and saw nine of the critters "needing" upgrading. Nine! Lol

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
I think they are talking about QSA Yellow and QSA Violet and the new Synergistic Research Purple Lloyd.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Not wanting to seem random but I’d consider a cable or tube upgrade might be potentially a better return on investment. Fuses are essentially functionally sacrificial components… if you can pick up the equivalent sonic gains in another aspect of the system that isn’t designed to self destruct that might be a reliably more economical spend.

I bought into the fuse thing but reality is that other areas of system investment can bring possibly bigger potential wins. A fuse seems to me to be a potential moment of minutiae madness… with some great sacrificial pain potentially attached… your expensive mileage may vary.
In my experience over the years I have found that both cables and fuses make a difference for the better.
Which to give priority to at any stage depends upon where you are in the evolution of your system.

Reactions: Argonaut

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
I do remember during my period of fuses madness and convincing myself to go the upmarket route, cursing my preamp as I lifted the hood and saw nine of the critters "needing" upgrading. Nine! Lol
Well I guess you won't be going down the QSA road, or at least not for the preamp internals.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I love how the QSA range has as many color options as all the SR fuses to date. A synchrony of craziness.

Aug 23, 2021
Hello All

I agree that cable make a difference,but sometimes the less expensive one sounds better.Every piece is a tone control.It is the interaction of the electronic properties and vibration.I also use different fuses but will never spend $2800on a fuse,that is ridiculous,mad,crazy.I tried the SR blue fuses and took them out,I used them in my CD / SACD/ multimedia player and preamp and power amp.I lost all transparency and the sound was slow and heavy.I then installed Hifi Tuning Supreme and I got what I wanted.

With disgraced I am reading about Quantum mechanic’s and some witchcraft and woodoo practices,I don’t understand.As a engineer and a person with strong insight into quantum mechanics and quantum mathematics and as a retired Professor,teaching these subjects, I love to ask these people to explain the theory to me.Quantum mechanic,s and mathematics are very interesting subjects,but we are light years away of understanding 1% off it.

I don’t disagree with the statement that everything can make a difference,but just how do you charge people a absurd price like it ,for something that is 1 inch long and is made of normal materials.It is a disgrace.
Hello,apparently they did 22 years reseach into developing a fuse.Honestly,they are not very efficient.It took a great Nation only 10 years to reach the moon after JF Kennedey announced we want to fly to the moon.What is harder to fly to the moon or make a apparently good fuse.If Nasa would have used these engineers that made the fuse in 22 years,it would have taken Nasa 1000 years to reach the moon.

Maybe we are all nuts,we audiophiles and we are constantly looking for the perfect sound,that doesn’t exists,,but we keep on looking for it.I is fun,up to a certain point.

Even if these super fuses are really good,but charging customers that kind of money is a rip off.These fuses cost more than one ounce of gold and these fuses are much less than one ounce.

Maybe they just charging whatever ,because they know some people are prepaired to pay that kind of money.It is like changing for a really great paperclip $100 and telling people,they will last a lifetime,even if we know we will loose them in a few days.

Good luck to these people,

Great forum,enjoying it,but sometimes also laughing about some statements.
Cheers and enjoy these fuses

Reactions: Mikem53 and iain
Aug 23, 2021
Hi All

lets settle this.If anyone is prepared to send me that super fuse,I will take it apart and test it in a very advanced lab.I will test all electrical properties and which materials it is made of and everything that comes to my mind and my electrical engineers and people that work daily with conductive materials.In the lab we can go to sub antomic levels on everything.After that,we will know exactly of what it is made of and even where all the materials come from .

I know out of experience,that evey conductive metal or any substance sounds different,even if the electrical properties are almost the same.It’s got a lot to do with sub- atomic vibration,every substance vibrates at different frequencies ( resonance frequencies) and the dynamic vibration and velocity and the amplitude and intensity differs.Everything can make a difference.
What’s it got to do with quantum engineering,I got no idea ,whatsoever.

Pleased enlighten me.I will nominate these engineers and people for next years Nobel price in Chemistry and Physics and Economic Science,you surely know how to make money and are able to sell something that costs $ 0.5 for $ 2800 and you are still able to sleep at night ,Wow ,Well ,I will also nominate you also for the Nobel price in Medicine,lack of sleep is one of our biggest problem in our society .Normal people will never be able to sleep ever again if they ripped off other people like this.Are these practices the new norm,nowadays,to make big buck,in no time and change crazy prices,with no relationship to the cost of manufacturing.

strange new world
Cheers

Aug 23, 2021
Yes,I found it,It is maybe made of Californium (CF),the most expensive substance at £837,000.000 a ounce.Problem is is radioactive ,but can be used to start up a chain reaction or maybe a good power amp,how knows

Question:Did anyone find these fuses radioactive

Cheers

• Haha
Reactions: Mikem53

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Hi All

lets settle this.If anyone is prepared to send me that super fuse,I will take it apart and test it in a very advanced lab.I will test all electrical properties and which materials it is made of and everything that comes to my mind and my electrical engineers and people that work daily with conductive materials.In the lab we can go to sub antomic levels on everything.After that,we will know exactly of what it is made of and even where all the materials come from .

I know out of experience,that evey conductive metal or any substance sounds different,even if the electrical properties are almost the same.It’s got a lot to do with sub- atomic vibration,every substance vibrates at different frequencies ( resonance frequencies) and the dynamic vibration and velocity and the amplitude and intensity differs.Everything can make a difference.
What’s it got to do with quantum engineering,I got no idea ,whatsoever.

Pleased enlighten me.I will nominate these engineers and people for next years Nobel price in Chemistry and Physics and Economic Science,you surely know how to make money and are able to sell something that costs $ 0.5 for $ 2800 and you are still able to sleep at night ,Wow ,Well ,I will also nominate you also for the Nobel price in Medicine,lack of sleep is one of our biggest problem in our society .Normal people will never be able to sleep ever again if they ripped off other people like this.Are these practices the new norm,nowadays,to make big buck,in no time and change crazy prices,with no relationship to the cost of manufacturing.

strange new world
Cheers
It's a lot simpler just to listen to them
CMS footers on your target list too?

Reactions: Cellcbern

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Well I guess you won't be going down the QSA road, or at least not for the preamp internals.
Barry im almost 100 % sure if somebody handed you a painted ordinary fuse without knowing you d hear a difference .
Do me a favour put the old one back in after a month , same thing :)

Reactions: twitch
Aug 23, 2021
Hi Barry

no ,not at all.I very strongly believe in vibration control.I haven’t tried these CMS footers,but I also use a lot of different footers and know they can ,if you find the ones that fit your system ,can make a positive difference .

I got no problem with audio fuses in general and believe everything can make a difference.
1.I got a problem with anybody claiming,some quantum science ,but does not explain it In detail.I am a scientist and would love to learn more.
2.I got a problem if customers get ripped off.I believe every business should make money, but these margins are a bit far fetched.
If I had to design fuses,what would I do,No1 ,I would firstly make a fuse for the AC side and one for the DC side.Very different in design.
A.On the AC side ,use the best conductive material,like pure Graphene and make the ends of the fuse ,with small ribbs,to ensure excellent contact.Best possible vibration control inside the fuse and shield the fuse from any noise and noise pick up and electrical and magnetic interference
B.For the DC fuse would maybe not go for the least resistance as in the AC fuse,but build in some small resistance,now the fuse could work like a small choke,but would do my best to control any vibration and shield the fuse against any noise and noise pick up from any electrical and magnetic interference .A little bit more resistance,could make the sound bit more mellow and the small like choke could minimise some noise.
Again ,this is Theory,will it work,how knows,just some ideas .

If you are happy spending that kind of money,it’s ok with me,it’s your money,but I got a problem with false advertising and claims.

You are 100% correct,with your claim, I should listen to these fuses,if they were $100 ,I would purchase them ,but $2800 is a lot of money.

No bad feeling at all,it is just a hobby and we all know,it is full of strange claims and funny people.I am maybe the biggest clown and refuse to see the obvious,everything is always possible.
Let us enjoy music and find pleasure and peace.
Cheers,

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
Hi Barry

no ,not at all.I very strongly believe in vibration control.I haven’t tried these CMS footers,but I also use a lot of different footers and know they can ,if you find the ones that fit your system ,can make a positive difference .

I got no problem with audio fuses in general and believe everything can make a difference.
1.I got a problem with anybody claiming,some quantum science ,but does not explain it In detail.I am a scientist and would love to learn more.
2.I got a problem if customers get ripped off.I believe every business should make money, but these margins are a bit far fetched.
If I had to design fuses,what would I do,No1 ,I would firstly make a fuse for the AC side and one for the DC side.Very different in design.
A.On the AC side ,use the best conductive material,like pure Graphene and make the ends of the fuse ,with small ribbs,to ensure excellent contact.Best possible vibration control inside the fuse and shield the fuse from any noise and noise pick up and electrical and magnetic interference
B.For the DC fuse would maybe not go for the least resistance as in the AC fuse,but build in some small resistance,now the fuse could work like a small choke,but would do my best to control any vibration and shield the fuse against any noise and noise pick up from any electrical and magnetic interference .A little bit more resistance,could make the sound bit more mellow and the small like choke could minimise some noise.

If you are happy spending that kind of money,it’s ok with me,it’s your money,but I got a problem with false advertising and claims.

You are 100% correct,with your claim, I should listen to these fuses,if they were $100 ,I would purchase them ,but $2800 is a lot of money.

No bad feeling at all,it is just a hobby and we all know,it is full of strange claims and funny people.I am maybe the biggest clown and refuse to see the obvious,everything is always possible.
Cheers,
Why should a manufacturer "explain in detail" all of the trade secrets behind their product innovations?

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Hi Barry

Cheers,
Thanks Music and Wine and I appreciate the tone and terms of your reply.
The QSA fuses work in my system and I am using the violet and the yellows, the latter being of a very similar price to the recently announced SR Orange.
The 13 amp yellow mains fuses are about half the price of the 0.5 amp yellow internal fuses which seems consistent with your thoughts.
I can't comment on the much more expensive top of range examples as I have not heard them, and which in any case strike me as unlikely to be cost effective. How much credence you can give to reviews is always a moot point, but FWIW the author of the Stereotimes review(referred to earlier in this thread) claimed the much more expensive ones improved the sound of his system more than those lower in the range.
There is a wide range of aftermarket fuses, including a number in a similar price range to the QSA fuses . I have not tried those either, but again quite a number of members of this forum have posted on their effectiveness in their systems.
I doubt that we are all wrong and am satisfied that these sorts of fuses can make a difference for the better.
As you say lets enjoy the music and share our experiences with courtesy,respect and tolerance.
Kind regards
Barry

Reactions: Argonaut
Aug 23, 2021
Hello

I believe it is not enough to claim something is just better,but will explain why it is supposed to be better.This is what a manufacturer should do.To justify his claims he should provide us with facts.Lets be honest with each other,we are not talking about war secrets or space secrets of National security,it is just music reproduction.No super high tech stuff .Does anybody thinks HiFi is at the frontier of research,no definitely not.Audio is too small.

Why is the manufacturer not showing us why the fuse are more quiet and produce less noise.Just a graph in comparison with other fuses,for instance

I have read the whole thread and some people really claim they hear a difference,I believe that.
Just the justification of the price is a hard nut to swollow.

In the end we only have to justify to ourselves.Yes I have tried different fuses and yes they make a small difference .

I am guilty as hell.I got at least 5 or 6 complete cable looms and some cost a small fortune.Are they worth it.Not really,but I still bought them,now I think I was crazy.they sound different,yes they do,can I explain it,not really.If I measure them and I have,the differences are small but they sound very different.Some things we still don’t understand fully. Unfortunate fact.Why does a silver 3 ft interconnet soud different to a 3 ft copper interconnet.Believe me they measure within 2-4%.Why does silver sound different,the subatomic vibration is very different.I know people argue,silver is a better conducter,that is correct,but at a length of 3/ft the difference is very small.It boils down to the behaviour of a conductor at subatomic level in the presence of a current flow and interaction of atoms to magnetic fields.

Maybe and the easiest way would be if somebody would just barrows us the fuses and then we could all try them in our own system and decide if these differences are worth the purchase price of these fuses.
In the end we should just enjoy our mad but great hobby,nothing else.

Cheers

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Barry im almost 100 % sure if somebody handed you a painted ordinary fuse without knowing you d hear a difference .
Do me a favour put the old one back in after a month , same thing :)
I can see the point you are making which is why I invariably spend a few days listening to something new in my system before rushing to any conclusions.
There have been times though when a change has been immediately and dramatically apparent.About a couple of years ago the stock valves in my MD109 tuner were replaced with some NOS Phillips valves.
When we switched it back on to BBC Radio 3 they were broadcasting a recording of a live opera. The tenor and female soprano were singing a duet and moving around the wooden stage. Myself and the audio pro who was with me just sat there transfixed and jaws dropped. The differences were unmistakeable, far superior sound quality which improved further with time.
Most mornings after I have got up I put Radio 3 on and since the installation of the QSA fuses it has been difficult not to just sit there and listen rather than listening from the kitchen while I organise breakfast.
I am confident enough in my ears to stay as I am but thanks for the thought.

Mikem53

Oct 1, 2020
It's a lot simpler just to listen to them
CMS footers on your target list too?
Its difficult to comprehend a $2800 fuse. I can think of other places that the money would be better spent, from my perspective.
I can also appreciate those who are willing to try and have reached a point with their systems to where it is top flight, but still looking for that smallest increment of "better".
I would think audio manufacturers would address this in the circuit design and build by controlling vibrations, MU shielding, better fuses, breakers, etc if it made a notable difference.
I have seen and heard some strange tweaks and mods that made no sense, but made a difference.. I have Not tried fuses and am a long ways away if ever from getting there. Many of the audio designers and engineers I know or have asked/read about the validity of audiophile fuses seem to think its not anything to pursue.
I hope to hear for myself some day... Enjoying the conversation..

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing