Whither Audio Research

facten

Feb 13, 2022
Tennessee
Expensive gear that only the 1% can afford

It will be interesting to see how your general narrative pays out over here; it didn't get favorable play over on Audiogon

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
Unlike wine or whisky tube gear only declines sonically over time/use.
Do you mean aging of tubes sonically degrade tube components over time? If consumable nature of tubes can put a product in “sonically degrade over time” category then most of other tubeless components are in the same category. For example;
- All turntables need a retipping of cartridge after a while,
- A CD player needs a laser replacement or a whole new transport,
- A speaker needs a bass reflex foam replacement,

If you don’t mean tubes then which parts degrade over time “sonically” on a tube component? How it’s any different than solid state products?

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
It will be interesting to see how your general narrative pays out over here; it didn't get favorable play over on Audiogon
Membership quality continues to decline.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

godofwealth

Feb 8, 2022
Unlike wine or whisky tube gear only declines sonically over time/use.
FWIW, I’ve owned ARC tube gear for over 30 years and they are absolutely bullet proof and reliable. Their build quality is laboratory grade. Just try lifting one of their Reference preamplifiers or CD players. I can’t tell you how many solid state preamplifiers and amplifiers that I’ve owed in that time period that have gone bad on me. And don’t get me started on junk DVD players and universal players. SACD players? Ha, talk about unreliability.

Meanwhile ARC products continue to function day in day out without a hitch and they will continue to be used in many audiophile systems for decades to come, even if the worst happens and the company closes its doors.

They in fact do age like fine wine. They get better over time as their build quality is hard to duplicate today. Not unlike my Quad ESL 57, which is over 50 years old and functions absolutely reliably every day. I still prefer it to almost any other “modern” loudspeaker. Same holds true for ARC products.

Fishfood

VIP/Donor
Jul 11, 2020
Lee, what do you mean by "membership quality continues to decline", and are you referring to Audiogon or to WBF? Decline how?
I'm sure he's talking about Agon. My recent experience has been that pretty much every interesting post turns into members yelling at one another and there's very little expertise left over there which is a shame. The ad section has been taken over by retailers who repost so often that checking new items is annoying. Love USAudioMart these days.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Lee, what do you mean by "membership quality continues to decline", and are you referring to Audiogon or to WBF? Decline how?

Just referencing JasonBourne.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
FWIW, I’ve owned ARC tube gear for over 30 years and they are absolutely bullet proof and reliable. Their build quality is laboratory grade. Just try lifting one of their Reference preamplifiers or CD players. I can’t tell you how many solid state preamplifiers and amplifiers that I’ve owed in that time period that have gone bad on me. And don’t get me started on junk DVD players and universal players. SACD players? Ha, talk about unreliability.

Meanwhile ARC products continue to function day in day out without a hitch and they will continue to be used in many audiophile systems for decades to come, even if the worst happens and the company closes its doors.

They in fact do age like fine wine. They get better over time as their build quality is hard to duplicate today. Not unlike my Quad ESL 57, which is over 50 years old and functions absolutely reliably every day. I still prefer it to almost any other “modern” loudspeaker. Same holds true for ARC products.
Good post. I have experienced the same thing with my ARC products going back to 1994.

Reactions: Jim Smith

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Sad news. The SP-3 showed me the way back in the day- we had a shoot-out with another highly regarded preamp and the ARC piece was an ear-opener. In 1975, I bought an SP3-a-1 and Dual 75a and eventually upgraded to the SP10mkii and had a succession of their amps.
I still have some of the old literature (along with my Dual 75a, which I kept, bought a set of power tubes from ARC many years ago but never got around to refreshing it). Showed them marketing with Magnepan- the big Tympani panels and a full ARC tube system was a pretty impressive system in the mid-'70s.
I know the company went through a lot of changes. Got to meet WZJ a few times- he was a little fearsome- it was hard for dealers to get the line. I remember their attempt to do solid state with "analog modules" (I think that's what they were called).
They went through a period where the sound was dry and a little bleached but by the time of the Ref series, they seemed to have gotten their sound sorted out.
I hope for the sake of their customers and the legacy of the marque that the company will survive but not happy news. I guess a lot of factors go into this- I'm not going to speculate on all the reasons but my experience with the original company-- when Len still ran the parts department-- was great. That was many years ago.

Dave Gordon

Audio Research Staff
Hello, everyone. This is my first post on What's Best because I want you to know what is happening at Audio Research. Some of you know me since I was hire by Bill Johnson at Audio Research in 1989. I left for a few years and returned to ARC in 1996.
We will be posting a statement on the Fans of Audio Research's FB page, and also the company's FB page as this seems the fastest way to get the facts out.
Nathanu's post is correct. What almost no one seems to realize is that Audio Research has been running since the assignment was filed on April 4th, almost four weeks ago. That was a week and a half before AXPONA, where our VP Sales (Allan Haggar) worked with Quintessence Audio (REF10, REFPH10, 160M MkII). We are staffed, with customer service answering the phone, the service department is repairing products, production is building new products, we are receiving parts, our sales department continues to accept orders, and our shipping department is shipping parts and product orders along with service work.
Trent Suggs was relieved of control of Audio Research. We have been working with individuals who want to purchase the company, and I expect that we will have a new owner within the week. There will be continuity as production, engineering, purchasing, service, and critical personnel will remain working for Audio Research. Warren Gehl, too.
I am writing this quickly as there are a lot of things to attend to immediately. Thanks to Mike for sending me this link to this so I could respond.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing