When is Hi-Res not really Hi-Res?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I am reading your other comments in the article and I read "I only kept it to 48kHz sampling, but you can see what happens at 21kHz." What do you mean by that?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
And as far as I can tell, there is no normalization. Audacity simply chops off the top but the scale is still down to -90db or so. I suspect its FFT has 16 bit resolution and hence can't go below.

Notice how Audition shows the same initial peak at -36db but keeps going to -120+. And notice how different the two pictures are. Audacity makes you think all is gone after certain point where as Audition keeps going.

wgscott

Sep 1, 2011
CA (USA)
Notice how Audition shows the same initial peak at -36db but keeps going to -120+. And notice how different the two pictures are. Audacity makes you think all is gone after certain point where as Audition keeps going.

OK, but is it anything apart from noise? The part with a gradually increasing slope between ~27kHz and 48kHz is unlikely to be audio, so the noise cutoff, generously, looks to be at -120dB, which is consistent with the plot on the left, (if you were to fit a monotonically decreasing line to the spectrum, it would intersect the x-axis at about 27kHz). In other words, I think both plots show the same signal.

Also, this doesn't account for (a) the shape of the curve, as you noted, and (b) why Audacity appears to get the "positive control" right under otherwise identical conditions.

Can I send you a copy of the file and have you take a look at it?

Last edited:

wgscott

Sep 1, 2011
CA (USA)
I am reading your other comments in the article and I read "I only kept it to 48kHz sampling, but you can see what happens at 21kHz." What do you mean by that?

If you go down a bit further, I found the original 96kHz file of Lush Life, and posted that, which I also posted in this thread (i.e., the negative control).

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Yes, there is still more to be figured out. Do you have a link to the track for me to buy? Or do you have to buy the whole album?

wgscott

Sep 1, 2011
CA (USA)
You have to buy the whole album I am afraid. I can put the first track on a password-protected server and email you the password.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks for the offer but I can't accept it. :) Can you provide a link to the album so that I don't buy the wrong thing?

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
A quick play with Audacity 1.3.13: if file is 16 bit then you get -90dB range on plot; if file is 24 bit then y-axis extends to -120dB. So the program autoranges depending on source file.

Frank

The reason I go down to -150dB is because 24-bit goes down to -144dB

The TH file in question was done by us for HDtracks. The FFT I posted is from the very first track "Love for Sale".

Here is Track 03 and Track 07

Attachments

• TH - True Stories&#.jpg
    TH - True Stories&#.jpg
    260.4 KB · Views: 472
  • TH - True Stories&#.jpg
    TH - True Stories&#.jpg
    262.2 KB · Views: 472

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
A quick play with Audacity 1.3.13: if file is 16 bit then you get -90dB range on plot; if file is 24 bit then y-axis extends to -120dB. So the program autoranges depending on source file.

Frank
It doesn't do that for me. I showed that graphic with identical 24-bit/96 Khz file. It acknowledges the same on the main display but still clips in FFT.

wgscott

Sep 1, 2011
CA (USA)
So even if we forget about the different baselines, there is something qualitatively different between the shapes of the curves you are displaying and the ones I am finding, unlike all the tracks from Remain in Light, which look absolutely fine, and qualitatively very similar to what you are posting.

Is it possible HDtracks is selling the wrong files, or they did something wrong in the wav to flac conversion?

Again, I am happy to provide one of the files on a password-protected server so you guys can compare this.

If by chance HDtracks is selling the wrong files, I would be very grateful for the opportunity to get what I paid for.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-&#4.jpg
    Screen shot 2011-&#4.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 449

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
OK. A bit more of a play, and this demonstrated that the program truly auto-ranges in every situation: if you even change the size or function the y scale alters. This implies that the program has decided that there is no true detail to be shown below a certain level and indicates such by truncating beyond that point ...

Frank

wgscott

Sep 1, 2011
CA (USA)
Well, I need to go to bed. I suspect the files I have aren't the same as what Bruce has. In addition to the different shaped curves, his top out at -70dB, which seems to be about the mid-point for mine.

To test this, I converted the first track to wav using XLD. Since wav has no metadata, it should have the same checksum as the file Bruce has if it has the same music content. Here are my results:

Code:
zsh-% md5sum 1-Love\ for\ Sale.wav 
1381a3693fa2cc5828bbb83e3fb7467e  1-Love for Sale.wav

zsh-% ls -lh 1-Love\ for\ Sale.*
-rw-r--r--  1 wgscott  staff    98M Sep  1 19:00 1-Love for Sale.flac
-rw-r--r--  1 wgscott  staff   149M Sep  1 22:44 1-Love for Sale.wav

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I bought the album. Looks like there may be an issue here. Please stand by as I do more testing and cross referencing.

wgscott

Sep 1, 2011
CA (USA)
Here's another one I bought from HD Tracks (Kodama Beethoven Piano Sonatas) that I have never been able to make heads or tails of, despite long periods of reflection:

I am grateful for any insights.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Wg, I am going broke buying music to test so that one would have to wait :).

Meanwhile, there is investigation going on to see what is wrong with the other album.

For now, let me curse something else: the HD Tracks download manager. Yes, it makes the job of downloading files easy. But here I am a day later wondering why my CPU load is so high. The machine was using some 30% doing nothing. A quick look at the performance manager shows that it was the download manager taking up all that space, doing absolutely nothing, having finished its work last night! So be sure to not let it sit round after you are done downloading.

wgscott

Sep 1, 2011
CA (USA)
I was just wondering if anyone knew what went wrong with this. I certainly wasn't suggesting you buy it! But it is the weirdest-looking download I ever purchased.

wgscott

Sep 1, 2011
CA (USA)
The TH file in question was done by us for HDtracks. The FFT I posted is from the very first track "Love for Sale".

I've managed to figure out how to generate the analogous plot in Audacity with a -144dB baseline, as shown below. As you can see, the 22kHz step function becomes even more pronounced. Is it possible HDtracks is selling something other than what you provided? I would be more than happy to provide the files if you want to check to see if they are the same.

Screen shot 2011-&#4.jpg

Link to full-sized image

Link to a positive control: Talking Heads: Remain in Light Track 01
obtained under identical settings, thus absolving
Audacity of alleged data misrepresentation.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing