What's the one pressing you want?

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
In 1992, I was at a flea market in Covent Garden. There was a dealer with all early pink and palm tree Crimson albums. I picked them up for next to nothing. The real treasure from that trip came at a record fair in Camden Town. Peeking into one dealer's Emerson Lake & Palmer section, I stumbled across a test pressing of the first ELP album. No cover, white labels with ILPS 9132 scribbled in black marker.

Back in ancient times, when there were real record stores, you could wander through any used shop in London and first early pressings dirt cheap. A trip to Record & Tape Exchange would uncover a goldmine. No one ascribed any more value to a pink rim Island King Crimson vs a later Polydor. Vertigo swirls were getting attention but relatively speaking they were cheap as chips.

WHERE IS MY WAY BACK MACHINE???!!

I marvel at how good those early UK Big Swirls are- part of it, i think, was simplicity. Master of Reality and Paranoid are very impressive. I've been binging on this stuff recently; the prices are out of sight on many of them, but every once in a while you luck out. The A3 B3 Dark Side UK Harvest is really, really good, and doesn't fetch the money that the solid Blue Triangle does; some of the Island pink rims have the same stampers as the pink labels and are quieter (and far cheaper). I started a thread here on 70's music on vinyl- some of the stuff is very inexpensive, e.g. early ABC Dunhills of Three Dog Night. That one Badfinger record which is a Lee Hulko Sterling pressing can still be found relatively cheaply- great music, sounds wonderful. And so on....
PS: and i agree re the fact that at the time of release, at least here in the States, I didn't really pay attention to the pressings. Most of the Van Morrisons I bought new, on release, were Warner Green Labels; what I didn't have (e.g. Astral Weeks) I eventually paid a price to acquire. Ditto the LZII. The real bite is condition, there are plenty of these records floating around in trashed condition. Thus, one of the values of the reissues, if done right.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I want that John and Yoko album that sold for $400,000. I'd sell it and buy a nice tropical island with white sand, clear water and an acoustically perfect Tiki Hut with lots of original pressing Deccas and BlueNotes in it.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I want that John and Yoko album that sold for $400,000. I'd sell it and buy a nice tropical island with white sand, clear water and an acoustically perfect Tiki Hut with lots of original pressing Deccas and BlueNotes in it.

I couldn't buy a decent 1-bedroom condo in Toronto for $400 large... where's the Island?

lasercd

Member Sponsor
Oct 28, 2010
Voorhees, NJ
www.lasercd.com
My background is progressive rock and psychedelic music. I've been collecting since 1976. Vertigo was marketed as the progressive label so all of these releases are ingrained in me. The Vertigo swirl albums I'm more interested in are from the obscure bands like Still Life and Cressida. I'm OK having a spaceship Vertigo Gentle Giant "Octopus". Sounds quite good.

Lots of documentation on Vertigo swirl if you are so inclined:

http://www.vertigoswirl.com

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
My background is progressive rock and psychedelic music. I've been collecting since 1976. Vertigo was marketed as the progressive label so all of these releases are ingrained in me. The Vertigo swirl albums I'm more interested in are from the obscure bands like Still Life and Cressida. I'm OK having a spaceship Vertigo Gentle Giant "Octopus". Sounds quite good.

Lots of documentation on Vertigo swirl if you are so inclined:

http://www.vertigoswirl.com

I've resorted to that page a number of times. May Blitz is going for crazy money, as is Uriah Heep. There's a lot of very strange stuff on that label I'd love to experiment with, but not at the prices they are fetching....

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I couldn't buy a decent 1-bedroom condo in Toronto for $400 large... where's the Island?

Say what? You mean Toronto real estate is more expensive than southern California? $400K for a 1 bedroom condo in a place you freeze your ass off for most of the year seems crazy. Does Rob Ford provide free crack and free crack pipes?

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Say what? You mean Toronto real estate is more expensive than southern California? $400K for a 1 bedroom condo in a place you freeze your ass off for most of the year seems crazy. Does Rob Ford provide free crack and free crack pipes?

You can certainly buy them cheaper outside of the downtown core, but in Toronto proper....no way. Toronto real estate is pricey (Vancouver's is nuts). I sold my 2,500/4-bedroom on a 50x100ft lot in 1994 for $325,000. That same house today starts at $600-$650. A new house of the same size with a smaller lot goes for more.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I sell Benefit but to be honest I haven't had a chance to crack open a copy for myself so I don't know who did the mastering. If I had to guess I would say Neil Wilkes who has been involved with all of the Steven Wilson remixes for King Crimson and just did Yes "Close to The Edge" and XTC "Nonsuch". I don't believe that Wilkes does any actually mastering. I think he simply does flat transfers of Wilson's new mixes.

All of these remix projects are controversial and if you follow the Hoffman forum or one of the prog rock forums like progressiveears.org you can give yourself a migraine. Personally I think he does a great job - some better than others. I thought his new versions of King Crimson "Lizard" and Yes "Close To The Edge" to be revelatory. Completely transformative (in a positive way) from the original mix. On the other hand...if you are a purist that puts the original mix on a pedestal you won't be so impressed.

I don't believe the vinyl is available separately - just in the box set.

Ken

I got a chance to listen to the UK Wilson remix of 'Benefit' on vinyl yesterday- it is very good, sounds far less compressed, based on my sonic memory of the originals (I didn't directly compare them, though I have the UK first and the US first pressings here too). The mix is different, but it didn't bother me, and whatever affect digitizing the master had wasn't a big sonic negative in my book- perhaps it sounds a little drier than the original UK, but that thing was so muted/muddy sounding, it is worth the trade-off. Interestingly, the earlier albums didn't sound as garbled as the later more popular ones- my 'Stand Up' UK pink label is great, and even my German pink rim of 'This Was' is good. Aqualung is a mess- I have a lot of different pressings, each one has some strengths but the master tape is a mess, I guess. And Benefit was no sonic wonder either, though this Steve Wilson mix may, on balance, be the best sounding one of the bunch(among the various 'Benefit' pressings). I'll do a head to head comparison at some point with my other pressings of 'Benefit,' but it was 'cheap bliss' and quite enjoyable!

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I have never heard a good pressing of Aqualung either.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I have never heard a good pressing of Aqualung either.

My three best, not necessarily in this order are: WLP, original Reprise US brown label and the Clarity 45 rpm Classic (which I recently acquired as part of an 'oddball' comparison set of 8 records, 4 Clarity, 4 black, all cut at 45). I have the DCC, the old MoFi (which I bought new at the time of release) and several others- I sort of lost count!

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
We'll see if it sounds as good as I remember once it arrives, but I just managed to find a US first press of LZ1 that was done at Monarch.
When we did a shoot-out of several copies of this album a couple months ago at my house, this was far better sounding than either a first UK (not turquoise but still first stampers) or first press east coast. I do have, thanks to a forum member, the Piros 74 remaster pressed at Monarch, but never got a chance to compare it with the 69 Monarch. If this one is good, and not chomped, another 'checkmark' on my list of desirable pressings.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Only one choice?

Unplayed Original UK pressing of

Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I can't argue with you guys over Rolling Stones pressings, I have very few of their records, but a close friend/colleague who is an extremely knowledgeable collector of vinyl swears by a US version pressed by Sonic. I actually saw one on ebay recently, only because the vendor had pics of the vinyl and you could see the 'SO' after the catalog number toward the bottom of the record label. It wasn't terribly expensive, but it wasn't in good enough condition for me to consider buying. I doubt many people are 'onto' this pressing, and I trust him implicitly- he's the guy that brought over all the first pressings a month or so ago for our shoot-out (and fwiw, as mentioned above, the LZ1 pressed by Monarch handily trounced the UK first in impact, bass and overall clarity).
He bought me a UK pressing of Jeff Beck's 'Truth' that is far better sounding than the US Epics, so I don't think he's an anglophobe. :)

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
I can't argue with you guys over Rolling Stones pressings, I have very few of their records, but a close friend/colleague who is an extremely knowledgeable collector of vinyl swears by a US version pressed by Sonic. I actually saw one on ebay recently, only because the vendor had pics of the vinyl and you could see the 'SO' after the catalog number toward the bottom of the record label. It wasn't terribly expensive, but it wasn't in good enough condition for me to consider buying. I doubt many people are 'onto' this pressing, and I trust him implicitly- he's the guy that brought over all the first pressings a month or so ago for our shoot-out (and fwiw, as mentioned above, the LZ1 pressed by Monarch handily trounced the UK first in impact, bass and overall clarity).
He bought me a UK pressing of Jeff Beck's 'Truth' that is far better sounding than the US Epics, so I don't think he's an anglophobe. :)

I can't remember who did my US pressing...but the British pressing definitely sounds better (albiet a little noisier). It's actually not a bad sounding LP and the music is amazing...Stones at their peak.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I can't remember who did my US pressing...but the British pressing definitely sounds better (albiet a little noisier). It's actually not a bad sounding LP and the music is amazing...Stones at their peak.
The only 'serious' Stones pressing I have (apart from some allegedly good copy of Exile which I don't think sounds very good) is an unboxed Decca first press stereo of Let it Bleed- the one where the outer jacket had a little hole in the back and the color of the inner liner told you whether it was mono or stereo. I haven't listened to it yet- it's in a growing room of vinyl sitting in Austin, along with my Barclay set of Hendrix and a few other morsels that I'm looking forward to hearing at some point....

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I would love to have a good copy of Sticky Fingers. I have many of the Stones LPs, but I don't have that one and it has many memories for me.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
The only 'serious' Stones pressing I have (apart from some allegedly good copy of Exile which I don't think sounds very good) is an unboxed Decca first press stereo of Let it Bleed- the one where the outer jacket had a little hole in the back and the color of the inner liner told you whether it was mono or stereo. I haven't listened to it yet- it's in a growing room of vinyl sitting in Austin, along with my Barclay set of Hendrix and a few other morsels that I'm looking forward to hearing at some point....

The unboxed blue Decca stereo pressing of "Let It Bleed" is revelatory. It ain't audiophile, but truly like hearing it for the first time. I get goosebumps everytime I fire it up (pun intended)...

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
The unboxed blue Decca stereo pressing of "Let It Bleed" is revelatory. It ain't audiophile, but truly like hearing it for the first time. I get goosebumps everytime I fire it up (pun intended)...
There's something about 'Gimme Shelter' that is pure magic- transcendent, and that comes from somebody that isn't much of a Stone's fan. It's got an intensity that few rock songs deliver, and it grabs me, no matter how many times I hear it.

asindc

Sep 27, 2012
I'd like to see all of Earth Wind & Fire's catalog re-mastered on vinyl and/or SACD directly from the original masters. Not likely, I know.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing