What's the most recent piece of audio equipment you have purchased and when?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
An Oppo BDP95, Morrow Audio MA3 balanced cables, PS Audio AC12 powercable and HiFi Tunning fuses (3).

Hi. Nice player. Have you compared to Oppo 83 by any chance?

In fact, is anyone aware if the Oppo 95 is any better as a transport? I use a DAC, so was just curious. Thanks.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Lloyd, I am hoping that the much smaller REL will be a lot easier to get right with the GH's. The GH's are so fast and clean that it is no surprise to me that your DD-18 was brutally difficult to blend with them. I sometimes wonder if the choice of sub can impact the way a listener ultimately feels about his mains. How many of us have ditched the mains believing that they were an issue, when in fact the sub/mains synergy was the problem:confused:.

Hi DaveyF...actually, i had trouble blending my old Velodyne (era 1993) with the Gs. The Velodyne DD18 was in fact much, much easier. I agree with you that the speed of the GHs are a challenge, and that the REL might well be able to keep up. No doubt you will master this, but if for whatever reason you have any questions, i am happy to share whatever experiences i had in blending the 2. Good luck!!! i am confident it will be fantastic!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Leben CS 600.

Nice one...i wish i had access to hear Leben. only heard good things about it. Have you ever compared with Shindo? I have heard Shindo and enjoyed it very much.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City

Nagra T deck!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Congrats!!!

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
Now this is where it gets interesting. The subs were working, as in that you could hear them, it wasn't that you could see the cones moving or feel with your fingers the vibration of the enclosure or anything else, correct?

Not correct. I put my fingers on the cones (and removed the grill covers)to try to get a sense of how much they were moving. The cones were moving and I was hearing sound. My subs use dual opposed drivers. There is no sub vibration. You can put a glass of water on the top and it will not move.

If so, how do you know that the sound you were hearing was not totally distortion, as in harmonics above 40Hz, no fundamental at all was being detected by your ears? If you put a mic on the sound in the room and recorded that supposed 40Hz and below sound you would get a big shock, with a huge spray of frequencies well above 40Hz happening.

With 144db/octave, there is no way I was hearing harmonics (or anything else) above 40hz. This slope is basically a straight vertical line which means that at 60hz (a half an octave up) the signal was down 72db!!!!! Can't speak for you but I can't hear that well.

Woofers are mega distortion generators, dead easy to get 10% and above distortion no matter how expensive they are. So what you are getting with different subwoofer arrangements is nicely customised, bass tonal enhancement, courtesy of tube like distortion ...

I suggest you try my experiment. It was NOT distortion and it was not higher end harmonics. You may certainly want to believe what you believe, but if you do what I did, I'm reasonably comfortable that you will have to come to the same conclusion.
Frank[/QUOTE]

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
With 144db/octave, there is no way I was hearing harmonics (or anything else) above 40hz. This slope is basically a straight vertical line which means that at 60hz (a half an octave up) the signal was down 72db!!!!! Can't speak for you but I can't hear that well.
I'm not talking about harmonics being fed to the subwoofer; I'm sure the signal there is extremely clean. No, the subwoofer drivers themselves produce lots of harmonics in their attempts to physically move lots of air, at the surface of the cones. Unless you spend lots and lots of money, subwoofer drivers themselves can't help but have high levels of distortion, the physics of getting electromagnetic mechanisms to couple cleanly with diaphragms to shift large volumes of air is a long way from being a trivial thing to do. Again, put a mic on the room, you'll be surprised at what's there ...

Frank

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Hi. Nice player. Have you compared to Oppo 83 by any chance?

In fact, is anyone aware if the Oppo 95 is any better as a transport? I use a DAC, so was just curious. Thanks.

Lloyd - I have a modified NuForce Oppo 95 and using it as a transport, it is a "decent" transport, but the Accuphase transport is just another league in comparison.

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area

A.wayne

Jan 14, 2011
Front Row Center
Started the year out with a Dynavector cartridge purchase, next inline will be a new DAC and 2 custom built monoblocs to drive the amp slayer........ :)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Lloyd - I have a modified NuForce Oppo 95 and using it as a transport, it is a "decent" transport, but the Accuphase transport is just another league in comparison.

Thanks! I could believe it.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Transfiguration Proteus, a few weeks ago. Still unmounted. I've been too busy.

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland
$600 AK100 astell & kern super ipod thingee 24/192 on the move , sheer bliss
add vertere 3.5mm headphone to rca adaptors makes a superb cd transport/dac

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I didn't know this thread existed!:b

I've made lots of changes this year and am no longer living almost exclusively in a vintage world, or a truly humble one for that matter. I've stepped up my game!:)

McIntosh MC122 Power Amp
Ortofon 2M Black MM Cartridge
Genesis G7.1f loudspeakers

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
The last purchase I made was a Musical Fidelity V-DAC strictly for the TV/Directv. Still debating whether it was worth it or not.....but one can only expect a certain type of signal coming digital over the air. Still, an improvement. Slight at that but still an improvement nonetheless. I had always wondered what DAC could do for the end result in this situation. Now I know.

Tom

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I didn't know this thread existed!:b

I've made lots of changes this year and am no longer living almost exclusively in a vintage world, or a truly humble one for that matter. I've stepped up my game!:)

McIntosh MC122 Power Amp
Ortofon 2M Black MM Cartridge
Genesis G7.1f loudspeakers

Whoa! That's some serious firepower! Good stuff! Look forward to reading about your impressions and how you came to decide on the equipment! Big congrats!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Good News: The new TT is scheduled to ship out on my Birthday no less :)

Bad News: The filter platform will arrive a whole two weeks later :(

Good News: My current TT is still a gem so the weeks of waiting will have the same musical enjoyment I've been getting for a few years now. :)

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Good News: The new TT is scheduled to ship out on my Birthday no less :)

Bad News: The filter platform will arrive a whole two weeks later :(

Good News: My current TT is still a gem so the weeks of waiting will have the same musical enjoyment I've been getting for a few years now. :)

Awesome. How many arms are you going to mount?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Just one for now Myles. My old Phantom II. There's a backlog for Supremes and Elites but I've already ordered the latter from the local distributor. That might take a few months.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Just one for now Myles. My old Phantom II. There's a backlog for Supremes and Elites but I've already ordered the latter from the local distributor. That might take a few months.

If you're lucky :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing