Exploration, the risks and the unknown

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Greetings from down unda.
Just thought I'd share a few thoughts, especially after this incident. As usual on my travels, I bumped into a kid, no more than 5yrs old. He was in that "why" stage...
So as we got talking on the topic of submarines... the covo ended with the recent tragedy of Ocean Gates Titan (expedition to the wreckage of the Titanic). The depth was around 3200m approx. 4km... he asked me one question, "why?" The only viable answer I could think of was that those who went exploring really wanted to go exploring! They wanted it so bad, they just had to go out there no matter what. So during the next cocktail party they could actually say, yeah I went and saw the Titanic! Beat that...

There were several warnings about this depth, such that this kind of depth had not been tested before. Various warning signs were out there and every single authority of the search and rescue mission said this was very risky and avoidable. Just like the Titanic! The captain never listened to his crew and thought the Titanic was unsinkable... but it wasn't.

Billionaire Shazad Dawood and his teenage son Sulaiman also perished, along with another Billionaire from Britain and the rest of the crew, comprising of a former Naval officer and scientist. I'm not sure what's up with the Billionaires... I guess no matter how much money you have in the world, it will never buy happiness. $250grand for a damn ticket to the depths... which is never guaranteed in this case. Do you really need to spend that kind of money? If I had that kind of money, I know what I'll do with 250grand... pay off the damn mortgage! No, not hi-fi!

The kid, Sulaiman, teenage son of Billionaire S Dawood, apparently didn't ever want to join this expedition, knowing the risks. Even he could sense that it was pretty stupid and risky but he didn't want to let his dad down... so he just rolled with it. Poor kiddo never made it. Why would you want to engage in such an event so desperately... as that little kid asked, why? No one has the answer.

Life's lessons:
1. Be satisfied and content with what you have! If it's good then it's certainly good enough!
2. Know the risks and learn all factors before divulging in such situations. If the bloody warning signs are out there, ringing off all the bells & whistles then why risk it.
3. Listen to the kids! When they ask why... stop and listen as to why... then it may actually make sense. We as adults or audiophiles think we know it all... actually we know very little.

What a sad and tragic ending, most certainly a terrible way to go.

Bless you all and keep safe, and most of all enjoy those fine tunes! At this stage, it's good enough for me.
Cheers, RJ

Reactions: Guillaume and dbeau

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing