What's Spinning Tonight?

Killing Joke – Pandemonium - 1994 original US pressing - large change in direction where they go from post punk to Industrial - this album kicks A and is totally underrated.
careful, not your normal audiophile fodder - this is aggressive, powerful and in ya face.

nOJ1CWU.jpg

Just arrived - Prince - Diamonds & Pearls deluxe box set. took over a month to get one, but it is here. Locally, Warners are charging almost $1100 for this box. they are well and truly trying to close physical sales down in AU with these total ripoff prices.

Good news - the box is well packaged. The content is beautiful with exquisite artwork. Bad news - no bloody poly inner sleeves

can't wait to be spinning this box later tonight.

bK3AK30.jpg

maFjShA.jpg

2JklL1K.jpg

opaSDAO.jpg

EwzkyI0.jpg

NP0h9lq.jpg

Prince - Diamonds & Pearls - 2023 BG remaster vs original 1991 Euro pressing. been waiting ages for the box set to arrive since it was released on Oct 27th. cleaned all records and time to put on the actual album.
I pull out the first record and immediately notice that the tracks do not go anywhere near close to the inner label than I remember, especially side 2 that has 4 tracks and close to 20 mins.

started playing the remaster and it did not "jump" out like I remember the original and had to put the volume higher. Played both sides and it sounded good, but it seemed to be a bit too polite and lacked the huge dynamics I remember from the original pressing.

Put on the original and POW!! Thunder starts and the bass is deeper with more impact, the vocals more forward and the lead instruments are actually in the lead. the top end is also more extended, however one complaint of the original is that it was a little hot in the top end - yea maybe on tracks like Jughead or live 4 Love. I then played Cream - similar - huge powerful sound.
Spun Willing and Able as this almost sounded like a different song on the remaster. About 3/4 the way thru this track there is an amazing organ solo coming out of the left channel and out of the right was some rapping, however it was the organ slightly in front of stage leading the jam and the rapping just behind - really gives the song a great groove. On the remaster, the organ is now behind the rapper and in the background.

Anyway I got bored of the remaster. I think BG has gone way to safe with this and should have cut the record louder and maintain the subterranean bass with more actual vinyl used and subdued the top end just a little while maintaining the leading edge groove. I have a large system with deep bass extension, so maybe my complaints are based on this as many systems will miss the deep bass or the original pressing and just get the lively top end.
time to start spinning the Vault material, which is why I bought the box.

new album cover - which one do you like?
aT3lwnT.jpg

Old album cover

l2vm7yN.jpg

new remaster vinyl pressing side 1 and 2 - notice how much vinyl has been used for the pressing

wW06HrG.jpg

aMni2sJ.jpg

original 1991 pressing both side spread out to similar areas - notice the pressing spread over the vinyl more - this allows it to be cut hotter ( which it is) and give better dynamics, especially bass - which it does.

m75Myly.jpg

Great report Shane… Very sorry to hear this new reissue box set not lived up to expectations… Original usually stays the best, as it was intended from the beginning. Sometimes these ”new” box sets seem to be made just to milk out the last penny from the artists… very unfortunate:confused:.

/ Jk

Reactions: facten and XV-1
Great report Shane… Very sorry to hear this new reissue box set not lived up to expectations… Original usually stays the best, as it was intended from the beginning. Sometimes these ”new” box sets seem to be made just to milk out the last penny from the artists… very unfortunate:confused:.

/ Jk

It's fine Johan. The first 4 sides of the unreleased vault material is really good.
It's the vault stuff I am after.

• Love
Reactions: Johan K

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing