What's best in highly sensitive/efficient speakers.

Exlibris

Oct 7, 2015
Canada
systems.audiogon.com
The Odeons are 93dB so no where near enough for realistic dynamics with 2W. You need higher powered SETs as Morricab says. My Zingalis are 95dB but still need current to control and drive them correctly, as they have 12 inch bass drivers. The Odeons have 26cm I think? Probably similar situation.

After trying a range of 300B SETs, 211s and then the Aries Cerat 813 Genus, I would say big bottle high current tubes is the way to go in none active speakers setups (bass active), unless you go super high efficiency horns at 99dB or more. That is to get decent volume and real world dynamics. 300Bs into the Audio Note AN-Es never did it for me, even stuffed in the corners of a room. They never sounded full range and uncoloured, and soon got flabby when pushed. All IMO.
I don't have much chance to hear those very powerful SETs with these speakers unfortunately. That and budget constraints would have me looking at a PSET for the Odeon No. 33, or looking at other speakers.

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
I don't have much chance to hear those very powerful SETs with these speakers unfortunately. That and budget constraints would have me looking at a PSET for the Odeon No. 33, or looking at other speakers.
Have you considered the Genus Integrated. It's 15K euros and is 25W SET, no problem driving the 93dB Odeons, a match made in heaven in fact...

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
I have a Thomas Mayer 10Y linestage on order so that would rule out an integrated at this point.

The Genus can be ordered as a power amplifier version, so without the relay and attenuation circuits. It is thus cheaper, and it is a superb power amplifier. Price is circa 12K euros.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
My friends Odeon 33 sound wonderfully, driven by 30 SET watts from either a KR VA 350i or Ayon Crossfire 3 integrated SET amps.
He had both at home for an extended test drive time and then decided on the KR VA 350i. Secondhand probably the best bang for the buck amp sonically that I know ;)

PS: Both, the Ayon Crossfire 3 and the KR Audio VA 350 can be had as power amp only

Last edited:

christoph

Dec 11, 2015

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
I have a Thomas Mayer 10Y linestage on order so that would rule out an integrated at this point.
Why not go all Thomas Mayer then? ;)

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
I can't afford them.
Would you consider buying second hand?
Those amps (Ayon Crossfire 3 and KR VA 350) can be found for something between 5 and 8k Euro.
Or maybe Thomas Mayer knows someone who wants to upgrade and sell his current amp?

Reactions: Exlibris

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
I bought used Audio Note MBs direct from the factory, and it was a disaster. I had to nearly threaten legal action to get another pair. The chokes were melted and the transformers leaking. Peter Q told me they were 18 months old, I would have put them at 6-7 years at least looking at the board numbers and the condition was terrible.

But used can work. IMO local buy only, avoid remote, unless you can return them. Tube gear gets hot and can be abused in use, not cared for.

Reactions: Exlibris

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US

Exlibris

Oct 7, 2015
Canada
systems.audiogon.com
Would you consider buying second hand?
Those amps (Ayon Crossfire 3 and KR VA 350) can be found for something between 5 and 8k Euro.
Or maybe Thomas Mayer knows someone who wants to upgrade and sell his current amp?
If you are living in 220V region.

You can consider buying new Line Magnetic 508 at 2000 euro including shipping.

https://www.hifi-amplifiers.com/en/...5-integrated-vacuum-tube-amplifier-p-871.html

If you spend another 2k euro on Acme 805, 300B, NOS Sn7 , Sl7 and Synergistic Blue fuse then, it sound very nice.

It will have enough power to drive your speaker.
Hopefully I will be able to hear some of these suggested amps with the Odeons.

Reactions: christoph

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
. . . the EL34s run in triode mode had a lot going for it musically.

+1

(on the right speaker so the EL34s in triode mode don’t sound sluggish or slightly syrupy)

Reactions: the sound of Tao

Exlibris

Oct 7, 2015
Canada
systems.audiogon.com
The Anima is much superior to the Odeon though the Marvel is not. Yes the downward firing doesn't help but that aspect can easily be tested, just play your current speakers booming loudly face down on the floor and go down to your neighbor's and see if you hear issues
I spoke with Tune Audio about down-firing and they gave me detailed information describing why this isn't going to be an issue. I'll do my best to hear them before committing to the Odeons.

Exlibris

Oct 7, 2015
Canada
systems.audiogon.com
Not in all ways...coherence and bass are both better with the 33 I think. Animas extreme dynamics and presence are better for that speaker.
Now that the Anima is a possibility for me (but I'd have to travel to demo it), I'd like to hear more about how it compares to the Odeon No. 33.. Thanks.

Last edited:

christoph

Dec 11, 2015

Exlibris

Oct 7, 2015
Canada
systems.audiogon.com
Can you elaborate why?
Rather than trying to paraphrase the response I received from the company I will simply quote it here:

"If your room floor is not floating wood or so, down firing or not makes no difference. The energy of bass excites the whole structure of the room and not particularly the area where the source is. Maybe you have experienced this outside a club there is not difference where the bass units are installed, the radiated energy depends solely on the structure of the building -other things being equal-.

Additionally horns exhibiting the best transient response compared to other designs will excite the room much less.

Lastly rock music doesn't have much content on lower bass -unless we are talking about doom rock etc- and 90dbs peak is not that loud also."

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing