What's best in highly sensitive/efficient speakers.

Modfi-7

Aug 29, 2021
Take a look at Destination Audio.

Never heard them but understand they sound amazing and are naturally designed low-powered SET's. Destination makes dedicated electronics in some of the most beautiful chassis I have seen.

abrich

Mar 6, 2012
Eyeballing John Atkinson's measurements, the impedance curve of the Volti Rival does not look particularly SET-friendly to me.
I will not pretend I fully understand the measurements, but what JA says in his final comments ("Summing up the Volti Rival's measured performance is difficult: Its perceived balance will depend to a greater degree than usual on the listener's choice of music and the size and acoustics of the room.") just stops me dead in my tracks: IMHO, quality speakers should definitely be "genre-agnostic"...;)
Those big Radians are what I would be using if I were doing coaxials.
Such high praise coming from you means a lot!:) The question is the implementation, and you commented:
The ceramic version will have a bit more low end and might get away with not needing subs; the more efficient neo version would imo very likely need subs.
I would definitely like to get away without needing subs. Could you please clarify what you mean by "ceramic version"? Is it the driver Magnetics / Diaphragm called "Prime : Ferrite / Aluminum" on the manufacturer's website, please?;) I also noticed MGRA Floorstander goes 7 Hz deeper than GRA Super Monitor. Is it just due to the bigger internal volume of the speaker cabinet?;)
I have been consistently VERY favorably impressed with the Volti Vittora
I wish I could afford this beauty and call it a day...:)
I have heard a Spatial Audio speaker which used the 15" neodymium Radian coaxial (with the aluminum diaphragm), augmented by a separate dedicated woofer, and imo it was in the same league as the Vittora.
In the same league as Vittora! Wow! Do you remember, by any chance, what model from Spatial Audio were you auditioning, please? Was it M3 Sapphire or, perhaps, X3?;) I noticed there is a 5 dB difference in sensitivity: 92 dB vs. 97 dB. What are the major contributing factors here, if I may inquire, please? Passive vs. active or more due to the different woofers and tweeters employed in both models?;)
Your Bohemian is truly a work of art! Just to make this beautiful horn takes a lot of knowledge, research, and experimentation. My most sincere congratulations on such high achievement!:)

Reactions: Duke LeJeune

Duke LeJeune

[Industry Expert]/Member Sponsor
Jul 22, 2013
Princeton, Texas
Could you please clarify what you mean by "ceramic version"?

"Ferrite magnet" = "Ceramic magnet".

Is it the driver Magnetics / Diaphragm called "Prime : Ferrite / Aluminum" on the manufacturer's website, please?

I think so, though it's possible that Coherent Audio has their own custom version.

I also noticed MGRA Floorstander goes 7 Hz deeper than GRA Super Monitor. Is it just due to the bigger internal volume of the speaker cabinet?;)

That would be my guess.

In the same league as Vittora! Wow! Do you remember, by any chance, what model from Spatial Audio were you auditioning, please?

I think it was called the "Lumina".

Your Bohemian is truly a work of art! Just to make this beautiful horn takes a lot of knowledge, research, and experimentation. My most sincere congratulations on such high achievement!:)

Thank you very much! We're excited about it too, but unfortunately the Bohemian 215 will inevitably be kinda pricey. The game plan is for the Bohemian 215 to be the "statement speaker" that gets us noticed and showcases some of our somewhat unorthodox ideas, and then a more affordable model which embodies the same concepts would probably be our bread-n-butter speaker.

Do you have a particular amplifier in mind? Imo amp + speakers + room = "a system within a system".

Last edited:
Reactions: the sound of Tao

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Nah...not big enough.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Reactions: the sound of Tao

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Klaus in Germany,his Klaus_5wayHorns.jpg Klaus_Midbass_Horn.jpg 5way Horn system 124dB/ 1 watt with Goto drivers

Thats the tweeter 70 pounds 10120725_59df977ebadfb.jpg

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Never bring a pea shooter to a cannon fight.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
maybe the guy in the video is only 1.5m "tall" :p
Apparently Christoph they’ve utilised DSP to help extend him up a bit more up top… so now he is closer to 1.8m high

• Haha
Reactions: christoph

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
A recent video of the new Klipsch Jubilee that's due out this week...that's apropos to this topic, I believe:

Chris
They use the relatively new "full range" Celestion Axi-2050 (2") compression drivers with a new phase plug extension that Roy has just revealed that apparently helps spread out the polars above 7 kHz. More on that driver on a K-402 here: Celestion Axi2050 2" compression driver on K-402 horn.

Chris
Thanks Chris for this video and welcome to wbf.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
I am thinking of buying a pair of these already.I own 2 pairs of la Scala and a pair of klipschorn.
In this case, you owe that to yourself ;)
..and to Klipsch as well :D

Reactions: Addicted to hifi

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing