What turntables do you use? Pictures would be nice as well :-)

jazzdude99

Jul 10, 2021
I guess he thinks about pointsource possibility......heard some solutions like that, but the double FLH as stand for HF stack from floor and up is way better
theese also have slots for sandfilling, but I never bothered
View attachment 82236
Hi Leif

would you mind commenting on your choice of midrange horn profile please? There are several available from Poland - tractrix, conical, Iawata - what properties of the le cleach horn took you in that direction?

many thanks

Andy

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
the aerodynamics of the full rollback profile and the Nextel paint results in the smoothes horn I´ve yet to hear, maybe apart from the CD approach above
the same horn in white glossy paint didn´t sound as smooth
I guess it´s a similar phenomenon to the dimples in the golf balls
that´s why...
the Iwatas were no good, like radials...something wrong with the relation between width and height gives reflections...
I came from kugelwellen/tractrix in Avantgarde Trio, so that was a passed stage

jazzdude99

Jul 10, 2021
the aerodynamics of the full rollback profile and the Nextel paint results in the smoothes horn I´ve yet to hear, maybe apart from the CD approach above
that´s why...
the Iwatas were no good, like radials...something wrong with the relation between width and height gives reflections...
Awesome- thank you!

Horsti62

May 31, 2021
Moin Moin,
Origin Live Sovereign & Conqueror ( an old "full metall jacket" one ) fit with Miyajima Waza & FR64S with Miyajima Premium BEII
--> no more questions for myself... can´t hear any more without "cross ring feelin´"
cu LG Horsti ST OL Sov Conq.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Scott Naylor

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
that´s why...
Lukasz Lewandowski from hORNS advised me to order the mid horn in structured matt finish for best SQ but the treble horn had to be high gloss for the best SQ.
I guess the reason behind this has to do with different wavelengths for the mids and treble

jazzdude99

Jul 10, 2021
During my DIY period around 10 or more years ago I built up a pair of speakers with a Sierra Brooks 12” hard wood tractrix horn driven by Tad 4001 ( long gone sadly, may have the model wrong), bass was a pair of Altec 12” 414 drivers in bass reflex cabinets. I really enjoyed the immediacy, tactile nature of those speakers, but moved on and now am listening to Sound Lab panels.

Im pondering about revisiting the horn idea - within my budget and wood working skills - onken cabinets following the Hiraga publication with JMLC or tractrix for mid/highs. If I do follow up this will take a while , but I am tempted to do this as a second system to alternate with my panels.

cheers

Andy

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
During my DIY period around 10 or more years ago I built up a pair of speakers with a Sierra Brooks 12” hard wood tractrix horn driven by Tad 4001 ( long gone sadly, may have the model wrong), bass was a pair of Altec 12” 414 drivers in bass reflex cabinets. I really enjoyed the immediacy, tactile nature of those speakers, but moved on and now am listening to Sound Lab panels.

Im pondering about revisiting the horn idea - within my budget and wood working skills - onken cabinets following the Hiraga publication with JMLC or tractrix for mid/highs. If I do follow up this will take a while , but I am tempted to do this as a second system to alternate with my panels.

cheers

Andy
Very good panels and excellent horns are a very nice combo to have :cool:

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
The turntable of my secondary system got seriously improved: a TD 124/II fully overhauled and upgraded by Hanze with an Artisan Fidelity plinth.

I will spare you the list of all the upgrades from Hanze Hifi (basically it is the full monty). According to Jaap from Hanze Hifi, this particular example is showing some of the best measurements he has obtained so far. The turntable is fitted with a Schröder CB Carbon tonearm and silver cable. The cartridge is a Lyra Etna. My tech specifically designed a stainless steel plate for fitting the toneram to the tonearm basis.

The setup was fine tuned by Ana Mighty Sound. These guys are experts for getting the best out of an analog setup.

3F95EEDD-4F10-4D74-B055-16C3C9E98127.jpeg

Last edited:

jazzdude99

Jul 10, 2021
The turntable of my secondary system got seriously improved: a TD 124/II fully overhauled and upgraded by Hanze with an Artisan Fidelity plinth.

I will spare you the list of all the upgrades from Hanze Hifi (basically it is the full monty). According to Jaap from Hanze Hifi, this particular example is showing some of the best measurements he has obtained so far. The turntable is fitted with a Schröder CB Carbon tonearm and silver cable. The cartridge is a Lyra Etna. My tech specifically designed a stainless steel plate for fitting the toneram to the tonearm basis.

The setup was fine tuned by Ana Mighty Sound. These guys are experts for getting the best out of an analog setup.

View attachment 84685
Very nice! How do you like the tonearm?

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia

View attachment 84685
Very nice indeed.love the wood finish.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Technics SP10 mk3 with Acoustand plinth.

[IMG]

back left you can see a mount for a 2nd arm - I have an SME arm board ready

[IMG]

[IMG]

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
Very cool looking TT ! :cool:

leyenda

Mar 2, 2011

So the plinth arrived, congrats! Pls share some thoughts? What sonic advantage does the new plinth offer and how significant is it? Does it require an A/B/A comparison or is it clearly audible from just one swap? Thanks.

Reactions: XV-1

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing