What turntables do you use? Pictures would be nice as well :-)

SOS

Jun 20, 2015
www.soundsofsilence.com
Bonesy Jonesy the only other MSL I've used is the Gold Sig. Here are my thoughts on them.
MSL Gold vs Platinum (I only had the Gold for less than 35 hrs when a customer came over and loved it and made an offer to buy so sold it and bought the Platinum. The Platinum has less than 25 hrs on it so with that being said)
The Platinum has some more low-level detail, but not significant. It has more microlevel information throughout. With both MSL cartridges the sound between the speakers seemed particularly un-hi-fi—less mechanical sounding, just more “you are there” sound. Still the Gold, from my perspective, is the more musical sounding cartridge, maybe a touch euphoric but I do like that quality. The platinum is a bit flatter in frequency, and I would think classical lovers would find this the preferred cartridge. Both cartridges sound like there are actual physical bodies of human beings and musical instruments in the actual spaces they are performing, a nice “act” that no other cartridge I’ve owned has accomplished.
The only other thing is the Gold was unimpressive initially, took close to 20 hrs to sound alive whereas the Platinum sounded very good out of the box.

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
Bonesy Jonesy the only other MSL I've used is the Gold Sig. Here are my thoughts on them.
MSL Gold vs Platinum (I only had the Gold for less than 35 hrs when a customer came over and loved it and made an offer to buy so sold it and bought the Platinum. The Platinum has less than 25 hrs on it so with that being said)
The Platinum has some more low-level detail, but not significant. It has more microlevel information throughout. With both MSL cartridges the sound between the speakers seemed particularly un-hi-fi—less mechanical sounding, just more “you are there” sound. Still the Gold, from my perspective, is the more musical sounding cartridge, maybe a touch euphoric but I do like that quality. The platinum is a bit flatter in frequency, and I would think classical lovers would find this the preferred cartridge. Both cartridges sound like there are actual physical bodies of human beings and musical instruments in the actual spaces they are performing, a nice “act” that no other cartridge I’ve owned has accomplished.
The only other thing is the Gold was unimpressive initially, took close to 20 hrs to sound alive whereas the Platinum sounded very good out of the box.
Thank you 'SOS' for your very informative reply. Very much appreciated.

Have been tolling over whether to upgrade my MSL Eminent Ex to either the Gold or the Platinum although after 298 hours now on the Ex it is sounding great with my CH P1 and my XL DC with 4Point 11".

From your information, I would most probably go for the Gold (also matches my XL DC lol :cool: ).

Or whether to spend the extra money either towards the CH X1 for the P1 or get the Kuzma Outer Ring Clamp & Ebony Spindle Weight / Clamp ?

SOS

Jun 20, 2015
www.soundsofsilence.com
So personally, I would save your $$$ and get the Safir arm for your XL DC. Previously I had the 4Point 11" but this arm has shown me what a difference (always heard different flavors in arms) BUT the Safir is just so far ahead of anything I've heard before it is an easy recommendation, especially given what table you have.

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
So personally, I would save your $$$ and get the Safir arm for your XL DC. Previously I had the 4Point 11" but this arm has shown me what a difference (always heard different flavors in arms) BUT the Safir is just so far ahead of anything I've heard before it is an easy recommendation, especially given what table you have.
Thank you 'SOS' for such great food for thought ! Much appreciated.

fordy964

May 25, 2020
A little intro and some pics of some of my analogue gear. First to say I've been an audiophile for over 35 years and in that time, like many of you here, I've been mainly obsessed with records and record players and all the growing list of paraphernalia that goes with the territory. I've owned a large number of tables from Rega (several), to Technics (SL1000), Thorens (most) to Lenco (lots), Michell to Revox, Pink Triangle (all of them inc. Anniversary) to Voyd and beyond. Tonearms and cartridges are too many to mention here but over 50 and 70 different models respectively. Safe to say I live and breath the topic.

This post is for the Linn geeks amongst you because one turntable that's long been an obsession is the venerable LP12 which I've become a total nerd about having built, upgraded, restored and modified over 50 examples over the years. It's a turntable I know really well in almost all of its guises which I've come to understand by buying and selling them. Of all of the variations that have passed through my hands, these two have become permanent fixtures in the all Naim 'office' system.

Chris Harban 'Wenge' plinth, Tangerine Audio Karmen top plate, Linn Karousel bearing, Trampolin 2 base and Troika cartridge, Tiger Paw sKale counterweight, Keel (German copy) sub-chassis with a Naim Armageddon PSU, Aro tonearm & Superline/HiCap2 phono stage.

Chris Harban 'Movingui' plinth, Tangerine Audio Karmen top plate & Phoenix sub-chassis, Tiger Paw sKale counterweight, Linn Karousel bearing, Radikal PSU, Urika phone stage, T-cable tonearm cable and Ekos SE tonearm with an Audio Technica AT50ANV cartridge.

Last edited:

fordy964

May 25, 2020
Currently sitting in the 'guest' spot in the main system is this Townshend Rock II turntable, Excalibur tonearm, Merlin PSU, Seismic Sink base and a vDH MC10 cartridge. In the few months I've owned it this has never failed to put a smile on my face. Its seriously good and seriously good value for money. Bass performance is outstanding on it. Criminally undervalued these days because even as it is capable of worrying some big buck turntables, including some I own. I'm in two minds about it though. It needs refurbishment and I know of an expert on these that would love to get his hands on it and show me what it can really do. On the other hand, do I really want to sink more bucks into something that long term is probably just a distraction? Any other owners on here?

fordy964

May 25, 2020
Finally, here is my TW Acustic Raven AC3. I've owned it for about 10 years now and its my pride and joy. It's quite an early example but I upgraded the power supply, added the extra motors, Black Night feet and all the extra tonearm mounts over the years. Its an absolute joy to use and a brilliant platform for discovering tonearms, cartridges and of course new music and oh what a lot of music this has played!

Currently sporting a Graham Phantom, Fidelity Research FR64s and FR64fx with clone B60 VTA bases and Ultracraft AC30 tonearms.

Cartridges are in constant flux but this week I'm having a Lyra phase enjoying Titan, Dorian, Parnassus and Delos. Other regulars are Ortofon's SPU Royal GM, MC 3000mkII and Rohmann, Shelter 90C, Clearaudio Accurate, AT33mono and a Miyajima Zero 1.0 mono.

A Koetsu Urushi Sky Blue was the most recent addition though and I'm absolutely besotted with it.

Phono stages are mainly an Aesthetix Rhea and occasionally a kit Hagerman Bugle Pro for mono and variable EQ with Phasetech T1 and Hashimoto HM3 SUT's available.

I'm toying with the idea of replacing the early bearing and getting the Anniversary platter for this setup next year and maybe making a significant tonearm change. On the one hand I could do with a medium mass tonearm with interchangeable head shells but I'm really drawn to getting hold of a swanky Glanz to get the best out the the SPU and Koetsu.

So thats it, can I join the club?

earl3090

Jun 7, 2019
Finally, here is my TW Acustic Raven AC3. I've owned it for about 10 years now and its my pride and joy. It's quite an early example but I upgraded the power supply, added the extra motors, Black Night feet and all the extra tonearm mounts over the years. Its an absolute joy to use and a brilliant platform for discovering tonearms, cartridges and of course new music and oh what a lot of music this has played!

Currently sporting a Graham Phantom, Fidelity Research FR64s and FR64fx with clone B60 VTA bases and Ultracraft AC30 tonearms.

Cartridges are in constant flux but this week I'm having a Lyra phase enjoying Titan, Dorian, Parnassus and Delos. Other regulars are Ortofon's SPU Royal GM, MC 3000mkII and Rohmann, Shelter 90C, Clearaudio Accurate, AT33mono and a Miyajima Zero 1.0 mono.

A Koetsu Urushi Sky Blue was the most recent addition though and I'm absolutely besotted with it.

Phono stages are mainly an Aesthetix Rhea and occasionally a kit Hagerman Bugle Pro for mono and variable EQ with Phasetech T1 and Hashimoto HM3 SUT's available.

I'm toying with the idea of replacing the early bearing and getting the Anniversary platter for this setup next year and maybe making a significant tonearm change. On the one hand I could do with a medium mass tonearm with interchangeable head shells but I'm really drawn to getting hold of a swanky Glanz to get the best out the the SPU and Koetsu.

So thats it, can I join the club?
Whats your method for aligning all 4 of your carts? My front arm is a pita........

Reactions: fordy964

jespera

Jan 12, 2018
London
Now using a GrooveMaster III in place of the Bokrand and Schröder arms. It has a sliding base so it's compatible with all my cartridges. Enjoying the sound so far with the AnaMighty A .4 that I just got back from Francois completely rebuilt!

View attachment 101560

The denon 103 is a very capable performer that deserves the best surroundings. Freeing it of its plastic jail makes a lot of sense. Whar cables and sut are you using?

If you ever get the chance try it in a lenco l70 tonearm.

Fishfood

VIP/Donor
Jul 11, 2020
The denon 103 is a very capable performer that deserves the best surroundings. Freeing it of its plastic jail makes a lot of sense. Whar cables and sut are you using?

If you ever get the chance try it in a lenco l70 tonearm.
I'm using the Auditorium 23 SUT and custom cables from VAS Audio.

Reactions: jespera

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -

Catcher10

Dec 28, 2018
Added a Project Xtension 10 Evolution in Olive wood last week.

jwhite613

Feb 3, 2012
New Mexico
Former 3 arm VPI Prime owner. Now own a Feickert Blackbird B958F016-140D-48E3-8A3D-8B846AD44C10.jpeg B3139833-89F2-40D5-BA11-E28D396B1E3A.jpeg 8A8D87B4-CA31-4E38-AAB6-03C55220850F.jpeg

Fishfood

VIP/Donor
Jul 11, 2020

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing