What SPECIFICALLY is better or different about the Wadax Design? How do these design choices manifest in better sound?

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Also, recommend doing some sessions with John Atkinson, as these great designers have done:
i think Wadax has an appointment with Mr. Atkinson as soon as they get their speaker prototype done. of course, they are not planning on doing a speaker. but maybe you can convince them to get right to it?

Reactions: Elliot G.

caesar

May 30, 2010
I'm sure Javier will take note of your recommendation... :cool::p
Marketing is about associations. Associate yourself with rambling fools and disgusting hype artists who present no useful information to the audio fans, and people will be talking about how your product looks, how much it costs instead of its sonic merits. So, yes, it would be a wise choice.

caesar

May 30, 2010
i think Wadax has an appointment with Mr. Atkinson as soon as they get their speaker prototype done. of course, they are not planning on doing a speaker. but maybe you can convince them to get right to it?

Don't discount Jurgen Reis' ability to design DACs (and electronics)! The MBL reference DAC may not win the popularity contests on the forums, but it is an incredibly musical piece that blows away most of the hyped up hi-fi sounding drek audiophiles gravitate towards.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Marketing is about associations. Associate yourself with rambling fools and disgusting hype artists who present no useful information to the audio fans, and people will be talking about how your product looks, how much it costs instead of its sonic merits. So, yes, it would be a wise choice.
Americans are masters at marketing .
Remember Marlboro man .
You aint a real man if you re not smoking
Try to sell that these days .

Ceasar negative publicity is also publicity ask Floyd money mayweather.
You re doing a fine job
Wadax should put a diamond in the frontpanel that gets people talking

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Don't discount Jurgen Reis' ability to design DACs (and electronics)! The MBL reference DAC may not win the popularity contests on the forums, but it is an incredibly musical piece that blows away most of the hyped up hi-fi sounding drek audiophiles gravitate towards.
not watched the Atkinson/MBL video, does he measure the MBL dac and talk about those measurments?

btw; i have nothing but respect for all things MBL, and have never been less than impressed with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lagonda

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
In modern terms id say CH precision is the next best thing in solid state terms .
But luckily me ( this deaf audiophile ) still apreciates old( cheap ) ML dacs .

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
In modern terms id say CH precision is the next best thing in solid state terms .
But luckily me ( this deaf audiophile ) still apreciates old( cheap ) ML dacs .
If you like the 360s then you would love something like and Ayon Skylla or CD5s or an Aries Cerat DAC.

Reactions: Argonaut

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
and yet you insist on using the same words that you criticize others for. You know what music sounds like, you are the judge of musicality. You may be the judge of you but you are not the final word for everyone else. So many people have reviewed/commented/purchased and love the Wadax products but you know better. This type of comments is really old and to be honest boring and insulting to the forum members.
We get it truly we do. Whats "drek" is the same old comments that bring absolutely nothing to the forum or to the discussion.

Maybe you can enlighten us on Tubes versus Transistors? or Analog Versus digital? Cats versus Dogs? Hot Dogs versus Hamburgers? Men Versus Women?
Please find a new act, this one is gotten old!

Reactions: Docluis

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
Lamm made use of audio psychoacoustics in his designs, perhaps Javier is doing something similar. Sure he will not share the “secret sauce”, but let’s not pretend that it is something that is not if that is what it is.

I remember Lamm pre had a special effect on sound if i am not mistaken, a special analog signal processing for both channels inside the Pre-amplifier.

1665475579794.png

I do not know why Wadax is far better than other dacs but i think all good audio equipments should have good power supply.

Wadax DAC psu capacity is around 1000VA.
TAD D600 psu capacity is around 400VA.
Weiss Maya 100kg PSU

many audiophiles care about which converter chip used in dac (is it r-2r or not and ...) or which digital filter used and ...
in my idea MSB r-2r modules and dCS ring dac and ... non of those specs are the key factor for good sound. Specs are just Specs and have no relation to sound.
I also do not think Wadax secret is the implementation of the musIC feed-forward error correction technology.
coming Wadax Reference was a good event in digital world.

Daniel Weiss Response to a question about good dac design, as you see the first and most important is the PSU design:

"What are the most important things in dac design?

The usual digital and analog design guidelines regarding:

• Power supply regulation and distribution
  • Ground handling – best is to have a balanced design throughout the unit
  • Low noise design, i.e. low impedances and low noise active elements.
  • Clock jitter handling, i.e. local clock generation if possible.
Good design is a matter of a lot of experience and know-how. There isn’t any simple recipe I am afraid.

Daniel Weiss"

Last edited:

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
My biggest problem with ASR, and engineers in general, is that they are not scientists...they are engineers and there is a big difference in the way of thinking. Engineers design to a set of criteria and once they hit that target they are satisfied. Some of them are also defining that target but it is often based on purely objective goals (certain THD and jitter over X frequency range etc.). Very few of them are actually concerned with the WHY does it sound a certain way and is that the way it is supposed to sound. Psychoacoustics is the realm of science where understanding what and why we prefer certain sound quality over other quality, when objectively, the differences are quite small (or arguably inaudible).

The problem is those guys are convinced (not sure by what other than their own disbelief in how sensitive human hearing can be) that below certain levels of distortion and noise or whatever other artifacts are generated that all things will sound the same. However, experience tells us that this isn't so... no matter how good it measures... it seems that the path in design to get to certain measurements matters a lot too.

I think most ASR members are not expert in Electronics Engineering. non of them even knows audio systems are not linear systems and measuring non linear systems is different to what they think about measurements.
there are many angry members there and insult to any idea against them, I do not like ASR forum/members .

if you trust them then you will sell your Wadax and replace it with a 100$ china made DAC.

Last edited:
Reactions: Docluis

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing