? What Jazz Music Selection are you Listening to in the Now? | Analog, Digital ??????

0032644395_10.jpg
Nice recording!
From same label:
Screenshot_2023_0622_113318.jpg

Reactions: Long Live Analog
Great music, which version are you listening to?
It’s the 44.1/16 FLAC file on Qobuz. Release date was 22 January 2002. It was recorded in 1957.

I’m a fan of Art Blakey. His drums delight me, and the musicians who cut their teeth with him during the 35 year run of The Jazz Messengers is a veritable Who’s Who of the best.

image.jpg
At this point I’ve moved on to this. She gave a concert at Axpona this year. This particular album seems to have more gimmicky interpretations than I like. It’s recorded well as far as sound is concerned. But the mastering goes along with the interpretations. Maybe that makes sense.

FWIW, I’m listening to this file (flac 44.1/16) from Amazon, via a Marantz ND8006 on my network via WiFi. HEOS controls and the DAC is the one in the Marantz Ruby SA-KI. It violates so many best practices it’s embarrassing, but it sounds great.

Last edited:
This afternoon I remembered Bobby McFerrin’s”Simple Pleasures.
image.jpg
This was a very unusual bit of work because the whole 33 minute performance is vocal tracks from Bobby. There are no instruments. It is all done by his voice.

I haven’t listened to this in a long time. It starts with his hit “Don’t Worry. Be Happy.”

If you’ve got a high end system, this album is fascinating. He does Trios and Quartets with himsel, as well as providing all of the augmentation by voice. The better your system, the more clear the many layers become.

While this never caught on as an audiophile reference recording, it is worth a listen, and you may discover new things about your system’s resolving power. There is no right image (this is true of many multitrack recordings). But it is good fun. And the first cut is great advice!

Reactions: Long Live Analog
d8tmxz7g8evnb_600.jpg

Reactions: Another Johnson
gnil336qqrmub_600.jpg

Reactions: Another Johnson
Aki Rissanen - Hyperreal

y5rb34mm28p2b_600.jpg

51NNS+eWPSL._UXNaN_FMjpg_QL85_.jpg

Horatio "Chiva' Barraro, "Blues Para Un Cosmonauta".
Dorothy Ashby, "The Rubaiyat of Dorothy Ashby, the re-release on 'Verve By Request'.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing