What is the most highly resolving speaker you have ever heard?

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
I wish to inform you that my wife would disappear before my Acoustat's and that's the truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth, i'm from the old scholl, it's my way or the highway.

Buch73

Apr 1, 2013
Denmark
Most resolving speaker for me is Raidho speakers.
Their new D series with Diamond cones are very resolving/revealing and gets every little detail out.

Buch

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
Most resolving speaker for me is Raidho speakers.
Their new D series with Diamond cones are very resolving/revealing and gets every little detail out.

Buch

I agree i heard these at the Montreal show a few weeks ago EXCEPTIONAL so is the price 28k US for a bookshelf that's good money I WILL KEEP MY ACOUSTAT'S.:):):)

Raidho D-1 speaker  & Jeff Rowland.jpg

Last edited:

bestman

Jul 1, 2013
Oxon, UK
www.dreheadphones.co.uk
I'm pretty partial to my ALS Platinums. Haven't heard anything better for less than $10K.

x2 on any of the Carver Amazings....the ribbon panels are WAAAAY fast.

IMO, they are the best speaker VALUE on the planet.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
They're in this room:

STAX_Top_Of_The_Line_SR-009_Electrostatic_Earspeakers.jpg

But while they are incredibly revealing, there's something about the sound of them that I don't prefer. I'm a subjectivist.

For the resolution of detail, though, they're hard to beat.

Tim

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
Some custom built horns I heard last year. Even playing just at a bit higher than whispering conversation level the detail was incredible. The amp was probably only putting out a handful of milliwatts.

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
Can you adopt me! Who says big isn't better?

I recently got the Sanders Sound ESL that comes with a 10" woofer, bi-amped. While it may not beat plasma and it does have some quirks like narrow listening area, it does have a lot more wonderful properties - microdetail (flies, drum squeaks, violins breathing - given to me by a Broadway actress). It also has very good bass. surprisingly, partly because it is so directional, it does not have a lot of issues with the room set up. In fact it sounds better asymmetrical. That may also be because I am a little asymmetrical.

With speakers, as some of the other esteemed members noted, is one part of the equation. Amp + source + interconnects + active crossover + speaker cable = sound. I am sure I left something out. Ohhh where is Einstein when you need him.

Some descriptions of what I hear. Of course all the detail. The music is much more present, compare to ML, Quads which I have heard. The dimensionalality (not approved by Oxford dictionary) is much larger as is the image height.

My perception (which is obviously not reality) is that the accuracy brings about brilliance rather the a rounded, smoother image, richer (higher) mids which lose some detail. My time is up, I have to get back into my straight jack now......$%*@&)S

Hi just to give you an idea of the performance of those DIY Acoustat Spectra 8800s the Martin Logan Clx,s at 25k DON'T even come close when whe compared the two speakers it wasn't even close the ML,s with subwoofers couldn't compete with the Acoutats without subwoofers now imagine with two JL,s F-112 in the picture i know hearing is believing and i have heard them many many times they don't call me MrAcoustat for nothing.:):):)

SoupRKnowva

Feb 19, 2013
They're in this room:

View attachment 10509

But while they are incredibly revealing, there's something about the sound of them that I don't prefer. I'm a subjectivist.

For the resolution of detail, though, they're hard to beat.

Tim

I would have said the same thing but it wasn't a speaker so I'm not sure it qualified. But yeah, I have never heard an audio transducer put out as much detail as the Stax Sr-009s do, and that was on an A-10 with a boulder 1021 cd player. I can't imagine them on a Head Amp BHSE instead...

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
Lamhorn 1.8 & Consonance 211 mono blocks.jpg

Lamhorn 1.8 with Consonance 18 watts per channel mono blocks how very sweet it was YES i'm pro panels BUT when it's good it's good no matter if it's panels or boxes and that my friends was VERY GOOD.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
View attachment 10641

Lamhorn 1.8 with Consonance 18 watts per channel mono blocks how very sweet it was YES i'm pro panels BUT when it's good it's good no matter if it's panels or boxes and that my friends was VERY GOOD.

Are those the dreaded Lowther speakers with their peaky beaming treble that keeps interior wall paint companies in business?

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
Are those the dreaded Lowther speakers with their peaky beaming treble that keeps interior wall paint companies in business?

Well to me even in show conditions they sounded real good.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV

Apparently the enclosures can be used with Lowthers, but the preferred drivers are the AER MK I or REPS R-1.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Those cabinets are big enough to be 1/4 wavelength transmission line sub cabinets tuned to 20 Hz flat. That is a pretty heroic effort to get some decent bass response from some speakers that probably don't really have decent bass response. How do the other drivers you mentioned differ from the Lowther drivers?

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I have no idea, only that the manufacturer specs them as preferred. I'm the wrong person to ask, I don't like this type of single driver speaker. Even the Voxativ's didn't thrill me, although they were certainly better than most (or maybe all) I've heard.

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
I have no idea, only that the manufacturer specs them as preferred. I'm the wrong person to ask, I don't like this type of single driver speaker. Even the Voxativ's didn't thrill me, although they were certainly better than most (or maybe all) I've heard.

Liked those to but at 28k compared to the R.L. Lamhorn 1.8 at 10k i choose the Lamhorns.

Voxativ-Ampeggio-Loudspeakers-02.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing