What is new in my music library? (recent purchases I enjoy)

Invincible - epic music - soundtrack-like
Piano Guys 2 - cello and piano, charming and lyrical combination of classical composition with modern wit
Tunnel of Love - Japanese remaster of LP...supposedly a bit nicer sounding version

Finally received ECM's Steve Reich - Music for 18 Musicians. Only took a little over 2 weeks :rolleyes:. No other digital purchases though.

Have Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road coming from Speakers Corner on vinyl, and also Keb' Mo' - S/T Debut from Pure Pleasure on vinyl. Should be here tomorrow or Saturday.

Tunnel of Love LP by Dire Straits or another artist? I'm a bit confused if it's by Dire Straits because Tunnel of Love was a track on the Making Movies album and as far as I know was released only as a 7"; http://www.discogs.com/Dire-Straits-Tunnel-Of-Love/release/419090

Bruce Springsteen. His regular CDs are great music but some of the worst imho in my collection of music in terms of compression and 'unlistenability'. I have come across recommendations recently that the Japanese reissues from 2005 were quite good and am giving them a try on two albums...one I don't have anyway, and the other I really like...and just cannot stand listening to the original CD. and I own 1800 and don't say that about probably more than (well)...this one. maybe 2 or 3 others, but that's it.

The Grateful Dead: American Beauty (Warner Music Japan 2011 CD)
The Paul Butterfield Blues Band: The Paul Butterfield Blues Band (Warner Music Japan 2009 CD)

Just ordered:
- Gould - Bach Goldberg Variations - State of Wonder version. Apparently the 1981 Goldberg was the digital recording when they were just beginning to do digital recordings. The State of Wonder is a remaster that came from Sony discovering the analog recording of the performance and apparently preferring it.
- Gould - Japanese remaster of Well tempered Clavier I & II (Bach)
- Tureck, Goldberg Variations (remastered)
- Richter - Russian Melodiya Remaster Well Tempered Clavier (Book I)

Invincible - epic music - soundtrack-like
Piano Guys 2 - cello and piano, charming and lyrical combination of classical composition with modern wit
Tunnel of Love - Japanese remaster of LP...supposedly a bit nicer sounding version

As requested, coming back on the Japanese remasterings. Big success after so many tinny Bruce Springsteen CDs. Just got Tunnel of Love and first 2 tracks are really great. On a scale of 1-10, the originals were 3-4 (reserving 1-2 for historic recordings which are outright scratchy). This one seems more like a 7-7.5 so far. No its not FIM, but its darned good and extremely listenable from an audiophile perspective...and helped by the fact that its good music.

As requested, coming back on the Japanese remasterings. Big success after so many tinny Bruce Springsteen CDs. Just got Tunnel of Love and first 2 tracks are really great. On a scale of 1-10, the originals were 3-4 (reserving 1-2 for historic recordings which are outright scratchy). This one seems more like a 7-7.5 so far. No its not FIM, but its darned good and extremely listenable from an audiophile perspective...and helped by the fact that its good music.

Great, I'm not surprised to hear that the SQ is better ;)

The Allman Brothers Band: The Allman Brothers Band (Universal Music Japan 2010 SHM-CD)
Wishbone Ash: There's the Rub (Universal Music Japan 2013 SHM-CD)
The Flying Burrito Brothers: Burrito Deluxe (Universal Music Japan 2010 SHM-CD)

Bersarin Quartett: II
Silent Harbour: Silent Harbour
Cosmin TRG: Gordian
Juan Atkins & Moritz von Oswald: Borderland
John Roberts: Fences
Kuedo: Severant
Redshape: Square
Voices from the Lake: Voices from the Lake
Marcel Fengler: Fokus
Minilogue: Blomma
Vessel: Order of Noise
Kriptic Minds: Can’t Sleep
Lapalux: Nostalchic
Deadbeat: Eight
Balam Acab: Wander/Wonder

Finally received ECM's Steve Reich - Music for 18 Musicians. Only took a little over 2 weeks :rolleyes:. No other digital purchases though.

Johnny,
Steve Reich - Music for 18 Musicians was recorded in 1976 - it is one of my oldest ECM LPs. Are you sure that your version is a digital LP?

Johnny,
Steve Reich - Music for 18 Musicians was recorded in 1976 - it is one of my oldest ECM LPs. Are you sure that your version is a digital LP?

Micro - I should have been more specific...I ordered the CD, not the LP.

Mono!

$(KGrHqF,!jME+sb-GB)vBQVJ+-cLJ!~~60_57.JPG

Kollektiv Turmstrasse: Rebellion der Träumer
Dadub: You Are Eternity
Triosence: Turning Points

Distillation - Wishbone Ash Box set

Deepchord: Sommer
Sigur Ros: Valtari
Rod Modell: Incense & Black Light
Martin Schulte: Silent Stars
Model 500: Starlight
Stars of the Lid: And Their Refinement of the Decline
Echologist: Subterranean
A Winged Victory for the Sullen: A Winged Victory for the Sullen

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing