What is going on with TACT and Lyngdorf

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Amir, check out the Behringer gear I described in my post to Franz. Outstanding DSP is really not expensive anymore.
Marty
That's a manual system Marty. Bob was asking for automatic systems. One would need fair bit of training and other tools like calibration mic to know how to program these. It can also get very tedious for multi-channels.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Bob was asking for automatic systems.

Amir, the Behringer EQ does indeed have an automatic mode. See section 3.8.1. of the manual. However, the unit does not come with a microphone. But the flexibility is enormous. You can program your own target curve, or you can ask for a flat curve and then press a button which tilts the slope downward 1dB/octave (thus mimicking your preferred curve from post #27- the top one in red.)
http://www.behringer.com/assets/DEQ2496_P0146_M_EN.pdf

So perhaps we should call it "conditionally automatic" whereby the condition is that you need a microphone! But hey, for $400, one can do a lot worse!

BTW, since it s a little hard to find, I am providing the link to the Lyngdorf target curve here. The URL brings up a 2 page site and the forementioned target curve is on the second page. Either wait for it to appear or click the greyed out second box on the top right of the first page to get to page 2 (it's weird, but it works)
http://www.steinwaylyngdorf.com/technology-and-innovation/roomperfect
Marty

Last edited:

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Amir, the Behringer EQ does indeed have an automatic mode. See section 3.8.1. of the manual. However, the unit does not come with a microphone. But the flexibility is enormous. You can program your own target curve, or you can ask for a flat curve and then press a button which tilts the slope downward 1dB/octave (thus mimicking your preferred curve from post #27- the top one in red.)
http://www.behringer.com/assets/DEQ2496_P0146_M_EN.pdf

So perhaps we should call it "conditionally automatic" whereby the condition is that you need a microphone! But hey, for $400, one can do a lot worse!
I am familiar with that and still don't think it is a suitable solution for someone who is replacing an existing auto eq system. Yes, this will make some measurement and spit out some filters. But based on a single measurement point, what it finds may not be correct (minimum phase conditions need to be detected which require multi-point spatial measurements). It also doesn't support multiple channels and integration of it into an AVR will be a pain if not impossible as AVRs don't usually have a loop to place a multi-channel EQ inline. And I suspect Bob is looking for something that optimizes for multiple seats.

If one wants to do stereo optimization and will spend time experimenting a lot, yes, using parametric EQs like this are effective. I suggested using REW's filter computation than the in-box version. They are at least based on some analysis of whether they are minimum phase or not.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
BTW, since it s a little hard to find, I am providing the link to the Lyngdorf target curve here. The URL brings up a 2 page site and the forementioned target curve is on the second page. Either wait for it to appear or click the greyed out second box on the top right of the first page to get to page 2 (it's weird, but it works)
http://www.steinwaylyngdorf.com/technology-and-innovation/roomperfect
Marty

I never could get the second page to appear but was able to save this image. Is there more detail than this available?

roomperfect-illustration_710.jpg

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
-- Audyssey Pro MultEQ XT32* is a 32 positions affair (up to 32 mic positions anyway).
...Good sound everywhere for everyone (personally I do nine).

TacT; is a one mic position affair?

* Computational force: about 10,000 FIR (Finite Impulse Response: Frequency & Time domain) filters. ...Not even close to << 304 million permutations >> !!

Last edited:

Bram Hillen

Feb 19, 2013
Boz has completed a couple of the new Tact X4's that is now being finalized
and tested.

I should have a picture of this unit in a couple of days that I will post on
the forum.

192 kHz throughout with all the inputs and options we always wanted.

All in a newly designed case with a large color display.

Best Regards,

Anthony

TacT Audio

Bram Hillen

Feb 19, 2013
Tact Audio's latest, soon to be released, the successor of the 2.2xp, The TacT X4
Posted By: mauimods mauimods Send Email
Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:08 pm |
Options View Source
Use Fixed Width Font
Unwrap Lines

As promised, A picture of the new TacT X4

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/TheRealTacTHackers/

The color display is a touch panel so you can do all corrections without a
computer.

Anthony

Tact Audio

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi

Beyond the launch of a new product, a live website, clear explanations about what exactly happened and the steps taken to bring Tact back would help alleviating my skepticism ... We'll see ... Good luck

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
With the ability to just run great room correction software in a server [e.g. Accurate (sp?) or DiracLive] for under $1000 and use an external preamp with bass management (e.g. Parasound), it will be interesting to see how these two channel room correction systems do. Certainly not everyone has a music server, but many are moving in that direction. I really like Boz and his 2.2XP which I used a long time. I hope he does well. He is also supplying the room correction engine for Emotiva (according to their web site).

Great time to be a consumer who is finally ready to solve the last frontier (which should be the first frontier) -- room/speaker interaction.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
As promised, A picture of the new TacT X4

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/TheRealTacTHackers/

The color display is a touch panel so you can do all corrections without a
computer.
Welcome to the forum. The modern and preferred way to do this is to have an app for a mobile device. Can't imaging sitting in front of my rack wanting to do all of these measurements and adjustments. One need to be in the sweet spot as one makes changes. Seems like expense was added but not sure how it makes the situation better.

Nyal Mellor

Industry Expert
Jul 14, 2010
SF Bay Area, CA, USA
With the ability to just run great room correction software in a server [e.g. Accurate (sp?) or DiracLive] for under $1000 and use an external preamp with bass management (e.g. Parasound), it will be interesting to see how these two channel room correction systems do. Certainly not everyone has a music server, but many are moving in that direction. I really like Boz and his 2.2XP which I used a long time. I hope he does well. He is also supplying the room correction engine for Emotiva (according to their web site).

Great time to be a consumer who is finally ready to solve the last frontier (which should be the first frontier) -- room/speaker interaction.

Yes I agree! It's another question whether the algorithms that are available to run on a music server (e.g. Acourate, Dirac) are better than those that are running on dedicated hardware (e.g. Trinnov, DEQX, TacT).

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Yes I agree! It's another question whether the algorithms that are available to run on a music server (e.g. Acourate, Dirac) are better than those that are running on dedicated hardware (e.g. Trinnov, DEQX, TacT).

Even if the software versions are only "as-good-as", it is still a better solution (depending on the price of the dedicated hardware, which in the case of Trinnov, is very high).

The bigger issue is still the great reluctance of the high end to embrace ANY kind of room correction, which I find amazing.

Nyal Mellor

Industry Expert
Jul 14, 2010
SF Bay Area, CA, USA
Even if the software versions are only "as-good-as", it is still a better solution (depending on the price of the dedicated hardware, which in the case of Trinnov, is very high).

The bigger issue is still the great reluctance of the high end to embrace ANY kind of room correction, which I find amazing.

Definitely it is useful in the low bass <100Hz. Jury is still out at least for me on 'full range' room correction but there have and continue to be big advances in this area. An area to look at for sure this year. I am building a new music server at the moment that will allow me to check out and report back on all the PC room correction algorithms out there. Just installed the Lynx AES16e card tonight so should be rocking by the end of the week!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

Do you think the average age of the audiophile sector could be a factor there? In another thread, I just bemoaned my ever increasing need to consult the manuals and even online video tutorials. I've set up a few Lyngdorfs, in fact I kinda remember someone here (can't remember who) making fun of it the year WBF started because it made use of multiple location snapshots instead of the usual sweetspot position. Set up a few dance clubs with Bherries too. You get into the flow of things but give it a few months and it's back to the ol' manual or telephone walk through.

I imagine it could be a bit daunting for someone to just jump into DRC out of the cold. While I do try to encourage people to give it a hero's try, at this stage the best bet for this sector is to provide a lot of instant tech support aka a lot of handholding. I think more people would give it a try if they knew that the company has got their back.

Nyal Mellor

Industry Expert
Jul 14, 2010
SF Bay Area, CA, USA
I imagine it could be a bit daunting for someone to just jump into DRC out of the cold. While I do try to encourage people to give it a hero's try, at this stage the best bet for this sector is to provide a lot of instant tech support aka a lot of handholding. I think more people would give it a try if they knew that the company has got their back.

And dealer, after all they are the people on the front line!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
My Lyngdorf dealer definitely gave me solid support. Lyngdorf did the same for him. The products had just arrived and it was all new to the dealer too. My dealer was messaging with someone at L at what must have been an ungodly hour over there. When I saw that, it made me a believer even before we got it running.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing