What improvements have we seen in high end audio in the last 25 years?

If you want slam out of a Sound Lab, don't put transistors on it! They can't make power into the high impedance in the bass region. This is why OTLs and ESLs have been a tradition for over 50 years...

Ralph, with all due respect (I am of fan of your designs/products) this is a gross exageration. i dont care about theory, but in PRACTICE, with every ESL Ive owned (Soundlabs, ML, Quads and Acoustat) SS has always peformed better on bass that tubes - including your MA-1s.

Ralph, with all due respect (I am of fan of your designs/products) this is a gross exageration. i dont care about theory, but in PRACTICE, with every ESL Ive owned (Soundlabs, ML, Quads and Acoustat) SS has always peformed better on bass that tubes - including your MA-1s.

Rob, I've owned Quads (original), Acoustat 2+2s, and Audiostatics. I've used both SS and tube amplification on them. Hands down, tubes won out every time. If you haven't heard a pair of Quad (57s) on a pair of M-60s you don't know. As for MA-1s on Sound Labs, yes, they don't have the control of the bass of big solid state but work pretty well here (U-1PXs with Toroid IIs and hotrod backplates). MA-2s are quite a bit better in many areas and must be experienced.

Rob, my experience in practice has been the opposite. Two pairs of ML reQuests with Krell FPB250m, 350 MCx, FPB600m, Theta Dreadnaught II and a few other less-mainstream SS amps, none were lacking in the low end but best total authority came from a pair of MA-1 MK II.2s.....still have them.

The reQuest is a hybrid ESL so I don't know if that still counts in the scope of this conversation, but the end result was the same.

Tom

Rob, my experience in practice has been the opposite. Two pairs of ML reQuests with Krell FPB250m, 350 MCx, FPB600m, Theta Dreadnaught II and a few other less-mainstream SS amps, none were lacking in the low end but best total authority came from a pair of MA-1 MK II.2s.....still have them.

The reQuest is a hybrid ESL so I don't know if that still counts in the scope of this conversation, but the end result was the same.

Tom

I agree with Rob vis a vis the low end and have had the same speakers in my home.

That is correct!

The reason there is an equipment matching conversation that has been ongoing for the last 50 years has a lot to do with the issue of how the amp drives the speaker.

The one concern is that if the amplifier employs loop negative feedback, there will be odd ordered harmonic content produced as a result. Since the human ear uses higher ordered harmonics as loudness cues (IOW, to sort out how loud a sound is), it is actually more sensitive to these harmonics than typical test equipment. The presence of these harmonics thus causes the perception of brightness/harshness and explains why two amps can measure perfectly flat on the bench yet one will be bright and the other will not. IOW, its all about distortion.

The Voltage Paradigm takes the position this distortion is unimportant and that flat frequency response is the most important.

The Power Paradigm takes the postition that the ear interprets distortion as tonality (and there are tipping points in the brain that will cause the brain to favor these tonalities over actual frequency response errors), so it is better to not make the distortions to which the ear is the most sensitive, even if it means minor frequency response errors.

The former thus favors specs on a page, the latter favors the experience of what you hear. Here are the roots of the objectivist/subjectivist debate as well...

That is correct!

The reason there is an equipment matching conversation that has been ongoing for the last 50 years has a lot to do with the issue of how the amp drives the speaker.

The one concern is that if the amplifier employs loop negative feedback, there will be odd ordered harmonic content produced as a result. Since the human ear uses higher ordered harmonics as loudness cues (IOW, to sort out how loud a sound is), it is actually more sensitive to these harmonics than typical test equipment. The presence of these harmonics thus causes the perception of brightness/harshness and explains why two amps can measure perfectly flat on the bench yet one will be bright and the other will not. IOW, its all about distortion.

The Voltage Paradigm takes the position this distortion is unimportant and that flat frequency response is the most important.

The Power Paradigm takes the postition that the ear interprets distortion as tonality (and there are tipping points in the brain that will cause the brain to favor these tonalities over actual frequency response errors), so it is better to not make the distortions to which the ear is the most sensitive, even if it means minor frequency response errors.

The former thus favors specs on a page, the latter favors the experience of what you hear. Here are the roots of the objectivist/subjectivist debate as well...

Thanks. What is your take on more and more tube companies moving away from obvious tube euphony to a more neutral sound? Is it a matter of changing consumer taste or better design/ parts?

^^ They are making incremental improvements...

Its not a gross exaggeration to say that a transistor amp can't make as much power in the bass region of an ESL. That is simple physics. I guess I don't see where the exaggeration is.

I am curious now though- are you saying you compared a set of MA-1s to a transistor amp on all those speakers?

Not only that but feedback can be used with the same issues in tube circuits. I see the whole thing as more about feedback than it is tube or solid state. Thing is, its a lot easier to build a successful amp with zero or low feedback with tubes than it is with transistors. Those who have managed the feat with transistors are well-known for some of the best-sounding solid state amps made. I don't see that as coincidence.

Not only that but feedback can be used with the same issues in tube circuits. I see the whole thing as more about feedback than it is tube or solid state. Thing is, its a lot easier to build a successful amp with zero or low feedback with tubes than it is with transistors. Those who have managed the feat with transistors are well-known for some of the best-sounding solid state amps made. I don't see that as coincidence.

Ralph, this sounds like a reference to Nelson Pass.

+1

darTZeel

^^ They are making incremental improvements...

Its not a gross exaggeration to say that a transistor amp can't make as much power in the bass region of an ESL. That is simple physics. I guess I don't see where the exaggeration is.

I am curious now though- are you saying you compared a set of MA-1s to a transistor amp on all those speakers?

I tried a pr of Ma-1s into Sound lab A-3s it was abysmal, severely lacking bass, highs and had poor drive. enter the krell ksa-250 and there was all the bass you could ask for, restored highs with plenty of reserve.

A few years ago I bought my 3rd pr of Quad 57's, coincidently the seller demoed them with a pr of M60s. All of the 57's sonic hallmarks were intact and they sounded great, nothing I would specifically attribute to the amps per say. After I got them home I emailed you about using the S30 and you recommended the M60 since you didn't think the 30 would do it. I found the recommendation odd since its well known stock 57s are designed to take no more than 25 watts or risk damaging the speaker.

I've tried many of the classic 57 pairings incl the Bedini 25/25, classe dr-2, Radford STA25, Graaf Gm20 (OTL), VTL TT25 (aka tiny triodes) among others. overall I still prefer tubes driving 57s (imho, EL84-based amps sound best) there wasn't a case where tubes bettered the SS amps in the bass region. because 57s are so limited in freq extension the subtleties in bass quality are easily discernible going from tubes to SS..

I tried a pr of Ma-1s into Sound lab A-3s it was abysmal, severely lacking bass, highs and had poor drive. enter the krell ksa-250 and there was all the bass you could ask for, restored highs with plenty of reserve.

A few years ago I bought my 3rd pr of Quad 57's, coincidently the seller demoed them with a pr of M60s. All of the 57's sonic hallmarks were intact and they sounded great, nothing I would specifically attribute to the amps per say. After I got them home I emailed you about using the S30 and you recommended the M60 since you didn't think the 30 would do it. I found the recommendation odd since its well known stock 57s are designed to take no more than 25 watts or risk damaging the speaker.

I've tried many of the classic 57 pairings incl the Bedini 25/25, classe dr-2, Radford STA25, Graaf Gm20 (OTL), VTL TT25 (aka tiny triodes) among others. overall I still prefer tubes driving 57s (imho, EL84-based amps sound best) there wasn't a case where tubes bettered the SS amps in the bass region. because 57s are so limited in freq extension the subtleties in bass quality are easily discernible going from tubes to SS..

SoundLab crossovers went through several versions. Although the initial ones were tube friendly, at some time Roger West optimized them for transistors and they were inadequate for OTLs. Fortunately, a modification was issued later allowing its use again with OTLs and tubes. So, unless we know the vintage of the crossover there is a lot of ambiguity in the comment. Current models sound great with MA 1s.

but its simple physics according to Ralph. You can add all the qualifiers you want like what "vintage" my point is regardless of vintage the MA-1 should have been better. AFAIK, no two pairs of Sound labs ever built were alike, there were so many 'revisions' I got sick of it.

Ralph, this sounds like a reference to Nelson Pass.

Yes. I have very high regard for Nelson. One of the top designers today.

The S-30 plays the ESL57 fine, but in certain installations there can be issues related to the placement in the room. In such cases I will recommend the M-60, and because the M-60 has too much power, often a speaker protection fuse is a good idea. If you have an updated version of the 57, it may have a new protection board making the fuse unnecessary. If you are getting better bass with transistors over tubes on a Quad 57 or 63, it indicates a room placement problem!

If the MA-1 was not playing bass on the Sound Lab you should have said something at the time (based on your description I am placing all of this in the 1990s; you might consider another audition as much has changed in the intervening decade and a half or more...). Even with all the iterations that have been out there, bass on a Sound Lab has been constant ! So this points to an actual malfunction somewhere. We did document a number of issues with Sound Labs, some of which appeared to be bugs and others that were actual design changes. We brought some of these to Dr West's attention, and over time the speaker got easier to drive.

Mind you, not only did the MA-1 have troubles on certain models but so did the ARC Ref300, The big Cat amplifier, the big CJs and others- we were in good company. Ultimately Roger discovered that a simulation of the crossover design actually had nothing to do with the actual impedances found in the speaker, something we had suspected for over a decade. This resulted in a new backpanel, which can retrofit on to almost any Sound Lab (A1, A3, Ultima and so on). Not only does it make it a lot easier for our amps to drive the speaker, it makes it a lot easier for transistors to drive it too and has the very nice side benefit of a better sounding speaker that for all the world seems like it is 4-5 db more efficient! So you can do with an set of MA-1s what used to take a set of MA-2s.

With that update the Sound Lab has taken its place as one of the top speakers made, price no object. It is certainly the state of the art in ESLs, perhaps in planar speakers in general. They have no issues with dynamics, something that has always troubled ESLs, no need for a subwoofer and can be driven in most rooms with no apparent limit of power using a 200 watt amp. Sure, its not as efficient as a horn, but you don't need 600 watts to make it fly. In most rooms with our MA-2s you can't clip the amp. That's a big change from where that speaker was only a couple of years ago. They are big, they are impressively musical and there was nothing like them 25 years ago.

[snip]
This resulted in a new backpanel, which can retrofit on to almost any Sound Lab (A1, A3, Ultima and so on). Not only does it make it a lot easier for our amps to drive the speaker, it makes it a lot easier for transistors to drive it too and has the very nice side benefit of a better sounding speaker that for all the world seems like it is 4-5 db more efficient! So you can do with an set of MA-1s what used to take a set of MA-2s.

With that update the Sound Lab has taken its place as one of the top speakers made, price no object. It is certainly the state of the art in ESLs, perhaps in planar speakers in general. They have no issues with dynamics, something that has always troubled ESLs, no need for a subwoofer and can be driven in most rooms with no apparent limit of power using a 200 watt amp. Sure, its not as efficient as a horn, but you don't need 600 watts to make it fly. In most rooms with our MA-2s you can't clip the amp. That's a big change from where that speaker was only a couple of years ago. They are big, they are impressively musical and there was nothing like them 25 years ago.

Actually the backplates aren't entirely new but changed a bit, including the larger Toroid II transformers which made the speakers a lot easier for both tube and solid state amps to drive. It's been a big win for all concerned.

As for MA-2s clipping, you've gotta really push 'em hard. In my room which is a bit over 22' by 31', it's a challenge. You tend to see God well before that :D

I've heard the MA-1 driving Brian's Soundlabs. No lack of bass or problems with the highs there. Amazing combination.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing