What have you done to improve your audio memory?

caesar

May 30, 2010
I have no doubt some are better at this than others. How do you encode songs in your head to remember them?

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Not sure what you are after, except as mentioned before I'm a guitar picker, though some might say hacker and have a fair ear to figure out and steal riffs. Does that help? Don't Know, but I never considered it a disadvantage.

Last edited:

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I'm not sure if I grasp the question as intended? Can you elaborate a bit more caesar?

Syntax

Feb 26, 2012
At The Dark Side
Well, I trust my body...when I listen to a System and after 3 minutes my tongue gets dry and my brain gives the order "escape to the next bar and have a drink"... then I do it.
Sometimes I need 2 drinks. To avoid drinking too much alcohol I keep these components in my memory. This keeps me healthy ;)

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
Well, I trust my body...when I listen to a System and after 3 minutes my tongue gets dry and my brain gives the order "escape to the next bar and have a drink"... then I do it.
Sometimes I need 2 drinks. To avoid drinking too much alcohol I keep these components in my memory. This keeps me healthy ;)
Along similar lines. For me it's almost instant, the system either has it, or doesn't: the first thing that "'grates" is that infamous :b low level, obnoxious distortion. If it's there, I can hear it in virtually everything that's played, and I don't need to know the music to judge the playback.

For me, whether a certainly frequency band has a certain quality, or can have a certain label applied is irrelevant: what counts is whether the music sounds "right" or not. If it's not right, then I'm also looking for where the exits are ...

Frank

caesar

May 30, 2010
I'm not sure if I grasp the question as intended? Can you elaborate a bit more caesar?

Sure. According to evolutionary scientists, our mind is a system of organs of computation designed by natural selection to solve the kinds of problems our ancestors faced in their foraging way of life. This system boosts the likelihood that we will recall easily and quickly information about threatening or traumatic events, events whose recollection may one day be crucial, especially if our survival is challenged. If something important happens, we rehearse the events in our head or tell stories to others to help remember them. On the other hand, information that is not needed or is not important is rehearsed less. It loses its strength of recall as time passes. As more time passes, it becomes less likely that it will be used in the future, and we forget completely....

On the contrary, imagine if when remembering something - say a love song, sprung thousands of matches from our memory, requiring our mind to sort through and make sense of all of these entries. Mass confusion would result from the flood of the multitude of cues from this song. This data overload would likely have resulted in our ancestors being eaten by the saber-toothed tigers. So when it comes to memory, "less is more" (or forgetting) is probably a very good thing.

The problem then, of course, becomes that if we want to recall something "minor" (vs. life-threathening), we need to pay attention and voluntarily encode things to remember them. This takes a lot of effort. Say you are a business consultant meeting dozens of people in a room. One person who can give you valuable information and you need to meet with tells you his name is Baker. He happens to be pear shaped dude and with a dough-boy looking face. You make a conscious note of this image - and say Baker 10 times. Bingo! Chances are, you will remember him from the rest of the crowd.

Remembering how somethings sounds may be a bit more challenging from an imagery and repetition perspective. However, I am guessing that there are some folks here who are either manufacturers, reviewers, audio pros, or prolific gear swappers, who have come up with innovative encoding techniques of the songs they listen to on different gear.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing