What Did Your System Look Like 20 Years Ago???

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Milan, you know the photos we REALLY want to see, comprendez-vous?

timztunz

Apr 23, 2018
Texas
View attachment 87351

Sony SCD-1
Primare Pre 30 pre-pro
McCormack DNA-2 Rev A amp
Aerial Acoustic Model 10t speakers
Audience Au24 interconnects and speaker cables
Foundation Research line conditioners
My first racking system prototype
SCD-1, the one piece of gear I regret most letting get away.

dcathro

Sep 16, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
1641079987619.png

1641079923435.png

1641080133752.png

1641080180013.png

1641080218599.png

1641080071707.png

This was my mastering studio in London. Closed in 2006 when I decided to return to Australia.

The room was done by Recording Architecture and to this day, I have never heard a finer room.

Highly modified Alon Phalanx and Poseidon speakers
XTC Pow 1 main amp
Boulder 500s on the Poseidon subs
XTC pre3
XTC Dac and Transport
Van Den Hul Cables
Mana racks
Various studio gear including AD converters EQs, compressors and tape machines.

I still have some of the gear, but I made the mistake of selling the tape machines before the home market took off.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Reactions: Hifi man

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
Late 90's early 2000's were the Levinson/wadia years for me. in 2002 my system was

B&W N802, Levinson 333, 380s, 31.5, (35 or Wadia 27) with Tara labs the ONE cables. A lot of swirling around since then. Is my sound better today...yes. But I don't think it is necessarily because of the gear. A dedicated room and much more attention to setup is probably most of it. It would be interesting to have the same stuff setup in my room today to see how it really compares with what I have now.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Late 90's early 2000's were the Levinson/wadia years for me. in 2002 my system was

B&W N802, Levinson 333, 380s, 31.5, (35 or Wadia 27) with Tara labs the ONE cables. A lot of swirling around since then. Is my sound better today...yes. But I don't think it is necessarily because of the gear. A dedicated room and much more attention to setup is probably most of it. It would be interesting to have the same stuff setup in my room today to see how it really compares with what I have now.
Looking at both systems (both great)...I suspect what you would find in the same room is BOTH are super-satisfying. Maybe (due to their being assembled by the same set of ears)...sharing some 'DNA'. But I have to think your current system wins by a country mile with the resolution, ability to give you that [enticing] last ounce of detail, decay, natural finish, etc. Not to mention its SCALE with Vivids, Stern/Mephisto and some very, VERY serious dual subs.

I have to say, I think if you could take your old system and plop it into your room...you would reminisce, you would love it...but you would ALSO be very, very glad you also have moved forward with the system you now have. Those so called minor changes add up to a LOT when you do get the change to go back and hear what it used to sound like. Enjoy!

Last edited:

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Ah yes the Halcyon days and damn the Torpedoes:D!

Snell AIII's BiAmped--
2 X Electro Research A75 Amps
Rowland Mono Blocks
JC Symmetry ACS-1 X over
Theta Transport/ Dac
ARC SP-6B Pre
Randall Research Cabling

BruceD
Snell A.jpg

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
An interesting Q, maybe the most important one, is were we REALLY unhappy w our systems back in 1/1/02? Why did we all move on? Maybe an associated thread.
How many people happy at the time wasted no opportunities in pushing on?
Oh I don't know how important this is, but doesn't it seem we're always happy with wherever we're at today? That is until we hear something better somewhere else and then we ain't so happy no more?

Look how happy you are with your current playback system. Yet, as I recall, according to some of your posts there's hardly a recording out there that plays to your ear's satisfaction on your system, right?

IOW, it seems to me we all are most always in a happy place with our system's current state. Just ask me. :)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
View attachment 87417

View attachment 87416

View attachment 87419

View attachment 87420

View attachment 87421

View attachment 87418

This was my mastering studio in London. Closed in 2006 when I decided to return to Australia.

The room was done by Recording Architecture and to this day, I have never heard a finer room.

Highly modified Alon Phalanx and Poseidon speakers
XTC Pow 1 main amp
Boulder 500s on the Poseidon subs
XTC pre3
XTC Dac and Transport
Van Den Hul Cables
Mana racks
Various studio gear including AD converters EQs, compressors and tape machines.

I still have some of the gear, but I made the mistake of selling the tape machines before the home market took off.
One little question,Is this same company that made this speaker? or just random equality in the name.

2676299-bfee75c9-alon-iv-speakers-full-range.jpg

dcathro

Sep 16, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
One little question,Is this same company that made this speaker? or just random equality in the name.

View attachment 87425

Yes, same company.

That in the model 4, which had a 12" bass driver, a 5" open baffle cobalt midrange, and a 1" aluminum tweeter.

I had the Phalanx which had a 10" bass, 5 x 5" open baffle mid bass, 5" open baffle tweeter, and a 1" aluminum/magnesium open baffle tweeter, all drivers AlNiCo. The Subs had 4 x 12" AlNiCo bass drivers per side.

These were all loosely based on the Dahlquist series of speakers.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Looks more like the owner's underwear in a laundry basket.

gian60

Apr 17, 2016

Snell AIII's BiAmped--
Rowland Mono Blocks
JC Symmetry ACS-1 X over
Theta Transport/ Dac
ARC SP-6B Pre
Randall Research Cabling

BruceD
View attachment 87424
Always dreamed Electro Research 35/40 years ago,but never listen and never saw in Italy
Can you descibe more or less their sound?
I had ARC,Jadis and ML,but always dreamed E. Research

Reactions: BruceD

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Always dreamed Electro Research 35/40 years ago,but never listen and never saw in Italy
Can you descibe more or less their sound?
I had ARC,Jadis and ML,but always dreamed E. Research
Yes in it's day it probably garnered more intrigue,inuendo, and discussion that it merited. With DC coupling plus insane gobs of feedback it surprised the pundits how good it sounded.whether one liked/agreed with its flawed designer the Amp was a benchmark .

Sonically it was open, detailed but not overly etched with superb Midrange ( hard to establish at the time with MR more the doyen of Tubes)
Bass output and control unmatched, add the ability for it to drive any speaker load as the designer stated "even a Short" -but naturally no music will appear ;) !
So if I appear biased todayI'm firm-in my opinion one of the superior classic SS Amps ever produced. Handmade of course by Jon I himself I've only heard of one other customer that privately owned a matched pair.

RIP Jon I:mad:!

Thank you Gian for the interest and luv your system!.

BruceD

Reactions: gian60

dcathro

Sep 16, 2016
Melbourne, Australia

Snell AIII's BiAmped--
Rowland Mono Blocks
JC Symmetry ACS-1 X over
Theta Transport/ Dac
ARC SP-6B Pre
Randall Research Cabling

BruceD
View attachment 87424

Bruce, this system looks a bit more than 20 years old, did you keep this gear for a while?

dcathro

Sep 16, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
Reactions: Scott Naylor

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing