What are the Top Horn Speakers in the World Today? Vox Olympian vs Avantgarde Trio vs ???

caesar

May 30, 2010
What are the top contenders for the very best, currently produced horns in the world today?

Vox Olympian usually makes the list... So does Avantgarde Trio.. What else?

And what are the differences / trade-offs between them both sonically and in terms of design/ technology choices that contributes to the differences?

What's worth making a trip to audition?

Thanks in advance

Reactions: Coimbra

zombean

May 31, 2022
What are the top contenders for the very best, currently produced horns in the world today?

And what are the differences / trade-offs between them both sonically and in terms of design/ technology choices that contributes to the differences?

Thanks in advance
acapella spharon
magico ultimate 3

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland

Thanks in advance
Aries Cerat Contendo reference 2.

Verdier

Oct 7, 2018
Heard the all new Avantgarde Trio today and I have to say…. It was the best sound I have heard as an audiophile for 40 years :oops:. If you get the chance to hear it for yourself grab it!
Which version? Passive, active, passive with active bass horn?

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

Andromeda, nice images of the various horns. Thanks for posting. What about the sound prompts you to post these image as examples of the best horn speakers today? The first looks like a pretty complex five way hybrid design. How does it sound say compared to an Altec or the Vox Olympian? I think it looks pretty cool in the photo but perhaps a bit busy for me. Interesting that there is no box or baffle except for the cone subs.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Because they sounded nice in Munich there is not much more too it
I never heard the VOX olympian , i might have heard a Altec not sure .

I did hear some bass issues with the Nuda model with different music being played , but what it did good , it did very good.
I made a vid

Last edited:

Hear Here

Feb 14, 2020
Portsmouth, UK
First passive, then active with active bass horn
Interesting. What amp was it powered by when in passive with active bass mode? Which sound did you prefer - its built-in amps (fully active) or with the external amp?

I guess the latter configuration would sound very similar to the earlier Trio XD as this requires an external amp for its mid and top, although I presume work has been done to further improve the drive units and XO with the latest version. Thanks

PS - What sort of price was quoted for the new Trio?

Last edited:

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Because they sounded nice in Munich there is not much more too it
I never heard the VOX olympian , i might have heard a Altec not sure .

I did hear some bass issues with the Nuda model with different music being played , but what it did good , it did very good.
I made a vid

Thanks. I find it rather strange sounding. Weird, colored lower mids to upper bass. Homogenized sounding and lacking resolution. Some other horn videos sound much better.

wil

Jul 22, 2015
Thanks. I find it rather strange sounding. Weird, colored lower mids to upper bass. Homogenized sounding and lacking resolution. Some other horn videos sound much better.
I don't know how anyone could make a judgment on these speakers listening to such one-dimensional and maudlin music. Are these exhibitors so frightened to play something with a little complexity?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
AG trios with BAT electronics - posting video in context of Trio discussion

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

The viva has played at Munich before. It can't be made out in that condition how the horn is.

Reactions: PeterA

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
First passive, then active with active bass horn
Can we have some details about this session, such as preamplifier, source and room size?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I nominate the Tune Audio Avaton, ideally driven with Trafomatic Elysium amplifiers.

When I heard this system I texted Kedar to come over ASAP.

Herb Reichert of Stereophile: “I was listening with David Chesky, to a recording made by David Chesky, of a piano played by David Chesky; and we were both looking at each other, shaking our heads. When it was over, we both agreed, this was the closest any loudspeaker ever got to reproducing the density and presence of a real piano. I left the room in tears from the experience.”

1F91E2C6-37A6-44BC-8BB3-9B85372C32D4.jpeg

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing