What are the sonic differences between Digital Connections for TotalDAC?

caesar

May 30, 2010
How does AES sound vs SPDIF vs. USB?

What are the sonic differences between these digital connections?

Does one have to stay consistent with the same type of digital connection between re-clockers, streamers, and DACs or can one mix and match (example: transport to recloker - SPDIF and reclocker to DACs - AES)?

Also, what brands of cables have owners found successfully work with TotalDAC?

Thanks in advance

dorch

Apr 8, 2020
i havent tried anything other than AES connections in most of my system. But I have tried SPDIF vs AES into the DAC. To me AES sounds better. I can recommend Tellurium Q Silver Diamond digital interconnect for this - works very well for me. Even my partner as a non-audiophile noted a significant improvement with this interconnect.

jaxdr

Feb 21, 2017
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
I am using a Extreme for my server/streamer which has been optimized for USB (and having updated USB card installed), however
Vincent has indicated that AES is the preferred method of input to my TD d1-12 mk3 DAC. But in my situation USB is preferred.

I also employ a second reclocker (TD Reclocker mk2) and am using AES to connect between the 2 reclockers. So to answer your question above I am using USB into the first reclocker and then AES into the 2nd reclocker. You can vary your types of digital connections when using TotalDac.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing