Welcome to the HIFi Miser Forum!

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
The Kef Muon chat before the demo centred on the fact that their design team had carte blanche in terms of funds, facilities and time, to perfect their flagship. On the basis of that demo, these engineers should pay all the money back to Kef that they spent, even if it means selling their houses, and wives and kids into slavery ;):rolleyes::cool:.
Andrew Jones had the same brief, but probably 0.1% of the budget.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Because he's a knucklehead ;)

Seriously, as we found out last weekend with some position shifting in Madfloyd's sytem (he already had found a great position but we were experimenting), you have to have a certain distance from a large speaker for everything to jump into focus. It can be a matter of inches. And the Magico M Project are not even that large. On the other hand, I sit very close to my minimonitors that are spread wide apart, and still get a very focused soundstage (I could sit even closer when it comes to just that).

And that was only the image focus. You can sit closer to the Magico M Project for just coherent sound because the drivers are so incredibly well integrated. With other large speakers, not to mention giant ones, you would probably have to sit some good distance away to even just experience driver integration. That can be tough in a cramped hotel room.

All true. Which is why I am absolutely not going to hear it any more from whining exhibitors concerning shortage of set up time, bad acoustics,
bad power etc. BRING THE PROPER GEAR. You wanna stuff your giant, "inert" speaker into a hotel room, deal with the consequences.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
After 3 hours of listening, NOT in the final set up, literally just thrown into my main system, before I put them in the office.
Driving them was a Simaudio 760A amp, which outputs about 240 wpc into 4 ohms, with Transparent mm5 Super speaker cable.

The Magnepan MMG is by far the most impressive speaker I have had in my home under $1000.

First, there is real bass. REAL bass, natural, and articulate bass.

Secondly, the midrange purity is absolutely UNRIVALED at this price point.

Thirdly, the lack of enclosure sound make the music float freely in space. An acoustic guitar strum lets
you hear EACH string as the pick descends.

Issues:
-Speakers have at least 80 hours to go before they truly open up, loosen up, and relax.
-Dynamic snap somewhat restricted until break in period is completed.

Albums listened to:
Bob Dylan: Desire
U2: Songs of Innocence
Jai Utall: Mondo Rama
Michael Jackson: Thriller
Rufus Wainwright: Poses
The Beatles: Rubber Soul
Pink Martini: 1969

Tube Nirvana

Oct 22, 2015
Brookings, Oregon
www.erhard-audio.com
hey all,

just released our latest addition to our lineup, model Billie, our entry level Tube Phono Preamp, for MM cartridges only.
I won't go into much detail here, go to our web site www.tubenirvana.net and click on Billie.
Price for this amazing sounding phono preamp is $489.00 plus shipping!!
Please note, the photo is of the prototype, production units will have a smaller chassis, not as high, and the tubes will be on the left side in a 'front-back' layout.

AR-NG-PH 2.jpg

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
hey all,

just released our latest addition to our lineup, model Billie, our entry level Tube Phono Preamp, for MM cartridges only.
I won't go into much detail here, go to our web site www.tubenirvana.net and click on Billie.
Price for this amazing sounding phono preamp is $489.00 plus shipping!!
Please note, the photo is of the prototype, production units will have a smaller chassis, not as high, and the tubes will be on the left side in a 'front-back' layout.

View attachment 22954

Thanks for posting. I love the look of the prototype.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
After 3 hours of listening, NOT in the final set up, literally just thrown into my main system, before I put them in the office.
Driving them was a Simaudio 760A amp, which outputs about 240 wpc into 4 ohms, with Transparent mm5 Super speaker cable.

The Magnepan MMG is by far the most impressive speaker I have had in my home under $1000.

First, there is real bass. REAL bass, natural, and articulate bass.

Secondly, the midrange purity is absolutely UNRIVALED at this price point.

Thirdly, the lack of enclosure sound make the music float freely in space. An acoustic guitar strum lets
you hear EACH string as the pick descends.

Issues:
-Speakers have at least 80 hours to go before they truly open up, loosen up, and relax.
-Dynamic snap somewhat restricted until break in period is completed.

Albums listened to:
Bob Dylan: Desire
U2: Songs of Innocence
Jai Utall: Mondo Rama
Michael Jackson: Thriller
Rufus Wainwright: Poses
The Beatles: Rubber Soul
Pink Martini: 1969

Glad that the Maggie's are impressing you. They do have a pretty long break in period...but once they have broken in, you should notice not only a bit more bass, but I remember thinking that they also get a little more extended in the top end air dept.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Glad that the Maggie's are impressing you. They do have a pretty long break in period...but once they have broken in, you should notice not only a bit more bass, but I remember thinking that they also get a little more extended in the top end air dept.

It has been a few years since I have had panels in my home, and it is a welcomed return, and for $600 the risk was negligible.

After further listening, my initial impressions stay intact. But of course more was revealed.

First, clearly, the magic is in the midrange and lack of boxy-ness.

There is definitely less at each frequency extremes with the MMGs, and of course, this being their entry level
speaker, you get more treble and bass higher up the line.

Reality also set in as far as partnering gear. The Simaudio amp drove them without as much as blinking an eye.
Switching over to my trusty ARC VS55 did not go well. There was simply not enough current.

I brought the speakers up to the office, where they will stay, and crossed my fingers, and partnered
them with my CLONES Audio 25 watt gainclone power amp.......to my amazement, it worked just fine!
No clipping, no anemic sound..what a surprise! I will try my 20 watt Carver Black Magic EL 84 amp as well,
and as a back up I have a power house Onkyo amp, with retro front meters to boot.

Last edited:

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com

Ok, after trying for Amplifiers, it is clear that the Magnepans, (ALL models), need amp that can grab it by the balls. I actually got great sound with the CLONES Audio 25 wpc amp, and the Simaudio 760A (260 wpc into 4 ohms), but the best overall match is the Onkyo M-5000R. It is a beast. It created a gloriously open, clear, and amazingly transparent presentation with these panels.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Ok, after trying for Amplifiers, it is clear that the Magnepans, (ALL models), need amp that can grab it by the balls. I actually got great sound with the CLONES Audio 25 wpc amp, and the Simaudio 760A (260 wpc into 4 ohms), but the best overall match is the Onkyo M-5000R. It is a beast. It created a gloriously open, clear, and amazingly transparent presentation with these panels.

Andre,have you tried your Carver tube amp. I would think that might be a good match. Very surprised that the ARC didn't play nice with the Maggies. A lot of dealers display their Maggies with ARC gear. I remember a few years ago being at Shelly's in LA. They were demo'ing their Maggie 20's with BAT gear. Also using some pretty big subs...cannot remember which ones. Nonetheless, the Maggies seemed to be driven well by the BAT's. Interestingly, I wonder if the smaller panels actually need more juice ( current) to play than their larger models....??:confused:

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Andre,have you tried your Carver tube amp. I would think that might be a good match. Very surprised that the ARC didn't play nice with the Maggies. A lot of dealers display their Maggies with ARC gear. I remember a few years ago being at Shelly's in LA. They were demo'ing their Maggie 20's with BAT gear. Also using some pretty big subs...cannot remember which ones. Nonetheless, the Maggies seemed to be driven well by the BAT's. Interestingly, I wonder if the smaller panels actually need more juice ( current) to play than their larger models....??:confused:

Yes, I did try the Carver, probably the most beautiful sounding amp I have, but it just ran out o steam with it's 20 wpc. No go.

Yes, Maggie show shows with ARC and BAT, but the high power stuff. I have 50 watts on tap with my VS55. Also I was using
a passive preamp..I probably could have gotten better results with an active pre.

In the end, high powered/current soiid state is the way to go, with a tubed pre. An amp that can handle dips below 4 ohms. There are
many, many good ones that won't cost a fortune.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
IMG_1830.JPG

The HiFi Miser's Office System:
Sony 350 reel ($150 ebay)
Tisbury Audio Mini Passive II ($200),
iFi Micro iDSD ($499), iFI Micro USB 3.0 ($499)
SOtM sMS-100 file player ($449) SOtM battery supply ($449)
MicroZOTL 2.0 tube Headphone amp/preamp ($1100)
CLONES Audio 25p power amp ($800)
DH Labs Signature Q10 speaker cable ($300)
Transparent MM2 Plus IC ($350)
Stager Sound Silver Solids IC ($125)
DH Labs USB Cable ($65)
CablePro Integrity II power strip ($225)
Symposium Acoustics Segue shelf ($250)
Salamander Archetype 5 rack ($450)

Not qualified for miser status:
Onkyo M-5000R power amp ($2500)
Audience aR6 Power Conditioner ($3000).

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
^^^^ Nice! Speakers? Headphones?

Haha....2 seconds too late... Nice!

Actually a few minutes, but it never loaded.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
^^^^ Nice! Speakers? Headphones?

Haha....2 seconds too late... Nice!

Actually a few minutes, but it never loaded.

Hard to get any work done!!!!;)

Catching up on paperwork while listening to the 24/192 Bowie Box, Five Years. Hunky Dory sounds incredible in hirez.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Folks, I just received a full loom of DaveC's ZenWave signal and power cables to review. Very impressive build and attention to detail.
Stay tuned.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing