WADAX Atlantis server Vs IDEON Absolute Stream

jasbirnandra

Apr 3, 2012
Was looking at the subject servers for my front end could anyone put their opinion on the two which one should be done to get the best out of your DAC.
users of anyone could voice their opinion which would be very helpful.

Regards
Jasbirnandra

Gregm

Mar 14, 2019
France
Not a comparison with the Wadax but with the Taiko Extreme... it might be helpful
We compared the two with a friend. I knew the Taiko sound from previous encounters and liked it a lot (still do).
In our comparison the Taiko was (is) great, but the Absolute had much better dynamics, much more bass energy, and even cleaner ("darker"?) backgrounds. Subjectively, the Absolute sounded more "quiet" and, as a result, the soundstage was more realistic. Mid-range was smooth in both cases, but the Absolute's other attributes gave it the edge here too.

By the way I am auditioning the Ideon EOS streamer right now (the cheaper model).
Comparing it to my linear PS dedicated fanless MiniX PC, there is a substantial difference in the sound. In short, the improvement with the EOS is blatant across the FR board.

Out of curiosity, which DAC do you have ?

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
In our comparison the Taiko was (is) great, but the Absolute had much better dynamics, much more bass energy, and even cleaner ("darker"?) backgrounds. Subjectively, the Absolute sounded more "quiet" and, as a result, the soundstage was more realistic. Mid-range was smooth in both cases, but the Absolute's other attributes gave it the edge here too.
Interesting,
did you make the comparison with the Absolute Stream as Roon bridge or as UPnP endpoint?
If used as UPnP endpoint which control software did you use?
Thx

Matt

Last edited:

2ndLiner

Dec 16, 2015
Not a comparison with the Wadax but with the Taiko Extreme... it might be helpful
We compared the two with a friend. I knew the Taiko sound from previous encounters and liked it a lot (still do).

By the way I am auditioning the Ideon EOS streamer right now (the cheaper model).
Comparing it to my linear PS dedicated fanless MiniX PC, there is a substantial difference in the sound. In short, the improvement with the EOS is blatant across the FR board.

Hi Greg! In this intriguing ACC (audio contrast & compare) was the Taiko Extreme connected to it’s proprietary switch, router, and DCD power distributor?

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
In this intriguing ACC (audio contrast & compare) was the Taiko Extreme connected to it’s proprietary switch, router, and DCD power distributor?
I think even without these the Extreme should be superior.

Matt

jasbirnandra

Apr 3, 2012

I have the EXTRAUDIO DAC which is quite good but the weak link in my chain is the Lumin U2 mini with an external linear power supply.
How is the WADAX Atlantis as a server?

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I think even without these the Extreme should be superior.

Matt
i tend to agree with that. i lived with the Extreme for a few years, whereas i've only heard the Ideon at shows three times. without direct head to head it's really difficult to reduce the apparent differences to the servers.

i did want to make sure @jasbirnandra is asking about the Wadax Atlantis Server, and not about the Wadax Atlantis Reference Server. they are completely different beasts. with a 3x plus price difference. since there is little discussion of the lower level Wadax Atlantis Server.

almost two years ago now, i did a direct compare of the Taiko Extreme and the Wadax Reference Server. i did this compare head to head in my own system, using both with USB interface, and then with the Wadax Akasa optical interface between the Wadax Ref Server and Wadax Reference Dac. the Wadax Reference Server was clearly better, by a good margin, with the USB. however; the Wadax Reference Server was in another realm of realism with the Akasa optical interface. you can read that linked thread for more details.

my opinion is that the Wadax Reference Server is quite a ways better than the Ideon Absolute Stream, especially into the Wadax Reference dac using the Akasa Optical interface. but it's just connecting the dots based on various listening experiences, and not any head to head.

there has been direct head to head feedback here on WBF at dealers that also favored the Wadax Ref Server and Dac, but i personally have not done that. and not sure the exact version of the Ideon involved then. it was a year or so ago.

Last edited:

2ndLiner

Dec 16, 2015
i tend to agree with that. i lived with the Extreme for a few years, whereas i've only heard the Ideon at shows three times. without direct head to head it's really difficult to reduce the apparent differences to the servers.

i did want to make sure @jasbirnandra is asking about the Wadax Atlantis Server, and not about the Wadax Atlantis Reference Server. they are completely different beasts. with a 3x plus price difference. since there is little discussion of the lower level Wadax Atlantis Server.

almost two years ago now, i did a direct compare of the Taiko Extreme and the Wadax Reference Server. i did this compare head to head in my own system, using both with USB interface, and then with the Wadax Akasa optical interface between the Wadax Ref Server and Wadax Reference Dac. the Wadax Reference Server was clearly better, by a good margin, with the USB. however; the Wadax Reference Server was in another realm of realism with the Akasa optical interface. you can read that linked thread for more details.

my opinion is that the Wadax Reference Server is quite a ways better than the Ideon Absolute Stream, especially into the Wadax Reference dac using the Akasa Optical interface. but it's just connecting the dots based on various listening experiences, and not any head to head.

there has been direct head to head feedback here on WBF at dealers that also favored the Wadax Ref Server and Dac, but i personally have not done that. and not sure the exact version of the Ideon involved then. it was a year or so ago.
Hey Mike! You are invited for another visit :) Though maybe stating the obvious, the current iteration of the Extreme with a variety of software updates and a few hardware additions make it quite a different component than the one you had. I wish you could hear it in your system now! BTW, JR, not surprisingly relayed how much he enjoyed hanging with you and hearing your otherworldly system. All the best to you and your family!

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Hey Mike! You are invited for another visit :)
if i am down that way again i will try and stop by. your room was a revelation in many ways. and of course, would love to have you visit me. :)
Though maybe stating the obvious, the current iteration of the Extreme with a variety of software updates and a few hardware additions make it quite a different component than the one you had. I wish you could hear it in your system now!
the Wadax Reference Server has also had upgrades since my compare. and now one can add an outboard power supply and Akasa DC cables. like Taiko always pushing.

so neither product is resting on it's laurels. my faith in Emile has not wavered any.
BTW, JR, not surprisingly relayed how much he enjoyed hanging with you and hearing your otherworldly system.
it was my pleasure to listen and spend time with JR in my system. he has a wealth of experience and i paid attention.
All the best to you and your family!
same to you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2ndLiner

Gregm

Mar 14, 2019
France
Interesting,
did you make the comparison with the Absolute Stream as Roon bridge or as UPnP endpoint?
If used as UPnP endpoint which control software did you use?
Thx

Matt
Hi Matt. We did both, mostly bridge. I'll ask about the latter and get back to you. Regards

Reactions: matthias

Gregm

Mar 14, 2019
France
Hi Greg! In this intriguing ACC (audio contrast & compare) was the Taiko Extreme connected to it’s proprietary switch, router, and DCD power distributor?
I have no idea, I'll have to ask and get back to you.
To be clear, I do not own the Taiko, the host on this occasion does. The loan of the Absolute Stream was just an excuse to get together, enjoy the music, the wine, and do some auditioning while we were at it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2ndLiner

Gregm

Mar 14, 2019
France
Yes I am asking about the Atlantis server and NOT the Wadax reference server.
I actually (and wrongly) assumed your interest was for the reference (as superlative device as far as I could tell from shows...)

jasbirnandra

Apr 3, 2012
I have no idea, I'll have to ask and get back to you.
To be clear, I do not own the Taiko, the host on this occasion does. The loan of the Absolute Stream was just an excuse to get together, enjoy the music, the wine, and do some auditioning while we were at it.
How did you like the Ideon

Gregm

Mar 14, 2019
France
How did you like the Ideon
Hi J -- I liked the Ideon streamer a lot, and their own core player sounds very good... so much so that I would seriously consider adding the Absolute Stream to my system.
Unfortunately, I can't justify the investment at this time (reportedly around 20k euro - which, while not cheap, is not bad considering hi-end prices nowadays)
(BTW no news from my buddy yet)

an.vamv

Mar 18, 2014

Hi Greg. The Absolute Stream needs another device to run roon core and the sound quality is largely dependent on that . Which device did you use to run the roon core during your comparison with Taiko ??

Last edited:

Gregm

Mar 14, 2019
France
Hi Greg. The absolute stream needs another device to run roon core and the sound quality is largely dependent on that . Which device did you use to run the roon core during your comparison with Taiko ??
Hi! The Taiko itself was used as roon core. Regards

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
The Taiko itself was used as roon core
So the comparison was:
Taiko standalone vs Taiko plus Absolute Stream and the combo was the winner?
Thx

Matt

Last edited:

Gregm

Mar 14, 2019
France
So the comparison was:
Taiko standalone vs Taiko plus Absolute Stream and the combo was the winner?
Thx

Matt
Hi Matt, yes that's about the size of it :)

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
Hi Matt, yes that's about the size of it :)
Hi Greg,
with due respect the combo is 20k more than the Taiko standalone, I think it is a little bit unfair to claim in this context superiority of Absolute Stream over Taiko.
Interesting would be to compare Absolute Stream standalone via MPD or together with something like Roon Nucleus+ vs Taiko standalone both with streaming from Qobuz or Tidal.

Matt

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing