VPI Scoutmaster II mat question

rmcfee

Nov 2, 2023
canada
Good day. I'm new here and it looks like a fascinating place!
I have a VPI Scoutmaster II turntable with a Soundsmith Carmen cartridge. I have been using the table with no mat - I clamp my vinyl directly to the metal platter. Does anyone have any experience with turntable mats that would be better sounding than this method? Thanks!

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
Music City, USA aka Nashville
Most people can hear the difference of no mat vs mat. Many, perhaps most can hear the difference between different mats and clamp combinations.

If you install a mat, it will impact your VTA, and if you change your VTA, it will impact your VTF. And if you change your VTF, it will have some effect on your bias force.

So be aware as you play. Mats are usually cheap. Felt, leather, polymer, etc are all available. Only you can decide which configuration sounds best to you. Have fun!

Reactions: rmcfee

BillK

Aug 25, 2015
Good day. I'm new here and it looks like a fascinating place!
I have a VPI Scoutmaster II turntable with a Soundsmith Carmen cartridge. I have been using the table with no mat - I clamp my vinyl directly to the metal platter. Does anyone have any experience with turntable mats that would be better sounding than this method? Thanks!

Most of us with VPIs as well as VPI themselves actually prefer it without a mat.

I felt the same until I tried a Synergistic Research UEF mat and felt it sounded better than no mat (I had a Super Scoutmaster.)

Reactions: rmcfee

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing