Vivid Giya G3

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
I am curious if you have ever listened to Earl Geddes speakers? Not sure if he has shown at hifi shows recently. His off axis measurements are very good, unfortunately I dislike the way the speakers look :(
I know. I would love to hear the Summa. But I've never had the chance. I've emailed him and he seems like a really great dude. I think he's the type of designer who I'd be most interested in their speakers. He did say he would be open to doing Acourate crossovers/delay on his Summa. Of course, I'd have to pay for all of that. I really don't like the minidsp solution he has for his active version. But the passive Summa measures great too. If I bought one of his models, it would be purely on specs. I can't do that.

anders

Sep 9, 2015
Connecticut
I know. I would love to hear the Summa. But I've never had the chance. I've emailed him and he seems like a really great dude. I think he's the type of designer who I'd be most interested in their speakers. He did say he would be open to doing Acourate crossovers/delay on his Summa. Of course, I'd have to pay for all of that. I really don't like the minidsp solution he has for his active version. But the passive Summa measures great too. If I bought one of his models, it would be purely on specs. I can't do that.
I did not know he had an active version. His top of the line monitor when I was investigating was a 2-way, and he had optimized the passive crossover very well for that model.

gtl

Jan 29, 2016
Not too sure if this is an appropriate place to ask this, mods please delete this if necessary.

I was wondering if anyone could provide some advice for choosing between the Vivid Giya G2 and G3.

I have 2 rooms, one 11.5' by 21'. Around 241.5 square feet. With 9' ceilings. Would the G2 be suitable?

I also have another smaller living room is 10.5' by 12.5'. Around 131.25 square feet with an open space to a dining area.

Not too sure which room I am placing the speakers yet of if I will be forced to shift it to living room with the dining area in future

I am comfortable with paying the extra for the G2, but I was just wondering if the G3 is a better fit? Would the bass be overpowering for the G2? I don't want to always think of what I am missing if I get the G3 instead of the G2.

I really appreciate anyone's advice on this.

Thank you

bplexico

Mar 29, 2011
Not too sure if this is an appropriate place to ask this, mods please delete this if necessary.

I was wondering if anyone could provide some advice for choosing between the Vivid Giya G2 and G3.

I have 2 rooms, one 11.5' by 21'. Around 241.5 square feet. With 9' ceilings. Would the G2 be suitable?

I also have another smaller living room is 10.5' by 12.5'. Around 131.25 square feet with an open space to a dining area.

Not too sure which room I am placing the speakers yet of if I will be forced to shift it to living room with the dining area in future

I am comfortable with paying the extra for the G2, but I was just wondering if the G3 is a better fit? Would the bass be overpowering for the G2? I don't want to always think of what I am missing if I get the G3 instead of the G2.

Thank you
The guidance I received from Philip O'Hanlon, whom I trust is the following, to put this in context I have a room that is ~13.5 Feet wide by 23 feet deep with 9 foot ceiling.

For my room his recommendation was the G3, like you I was willing to spend extra for the G2.

He recommends at least a 400 sq. ft. room for the G2s.

Consider that he could have made a sale for the larger G2, but recommended the G3. I have no regrets with my purchase and trust Philip fully.

Barr

BTW I do have some open space in my room as well into a kitchen and the living room,

gtl

Jan 29, 2016
Thanks for sharing your experience! Looks like I should go ahead with a G3 then.

How is the bass with the G3? Are you using any subwoofers? I have no intention of getting any subwoofers, hence the thought of getting a G2 since it extends much lower.

The guidance I received from Philip O'Hanlon, whom I trust is the following, to put this in context I have a room that is ~13.5 Feet wide by 23 feet deep with 9 foot ceiling.

For my room his recommendation was the G3, like you I was willing to spend extra for the G2.

He recommends at least a 400 sq. ft. room for the G2s.

Consider that he could have made a sale for the larger G2, but recommended the G3. I have no regrets with my purchase and trust Philip fully.

Barr

BTW I do have some open space in my room as well into a kitchen and the living room,

bplexico

Mar 29, 2011
Hello - I am happy with the bass I am getting from the G3's and do not use Subwoofers. Not sure where you are located but if in US I have found Philip a helpful person to bounce questions off of in regards to the Vivid Audio line.

Please note that there are others who have the G3s and use subwoofers, I don't think that approach is wrong and they have valid reasons for doing so. For me, I am quite happy with them as is, without the use of subwoofers.

Guess part of that answer depends on the room and how much bass you like...;)

Dec 4, 2015
Somerset, uk

Thank you
The only thing to do here is audition a pair of g2. In the larger room and the smaller room. Bit of a pain I konw but then you will know. Any other solution will leave you with a level of uncertainty.

I do use a sub, will end up with two subs but more for room reasons. The G3 gives good bass, very good in fact.

Cheers

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
I have heard all the vivid speaker s, the G3 and the G2 many many times
The G2 is the same as the g3.. all you get is a slight increase in scale with the G2's and more bass.. and they are a lot bigger
My choice would be G3's and twin high quality subs .. run G3's full range

Ron Resnick

Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 25, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Michael, my apologies for being late to this thread.

Congratulations on the G3! And your room looks great!

I heard the G1 (or was it G2?) with Steve at T.H.E. Show in Irvine and I thought the speaker sounded fantastic!

Asamel

Jan 23, 2012
Philly
Funny story...

Giya 3.JPG

Asamel

Jan 23, 2012
Philly
Just starting to listen but nothing I've noted so far. The woofers fire to the sides so...