Vitus SM-103 Monos

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
Joe, it's all about the music; I know how important it is to you. So Angus and I appreciate you putting the Westminster "Reis" into the mix and your wonderfully positive comments about their performance. I am sure the new Vitus amplifiers will give you many years of enjoyment, and I wish you the best.

I was sorry to learn of your wife's illness. Love and music heal all! We will keep her in our prayers.

PS Angus thanked you for the personal note you sent him.

Rawlit

Oct 6, 2021
Hello,

Does anyone know these SM 101 XLR input impedance?

I read somewhere 600 ohm, which seems too low

I have a Ayre KX-R pre that has an output impedance of 300 ohm

Rule of thumb for amp input impedance should be 10X of pre’s output

I’m worried these two won’t match

Appreciate your input

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Hello,

Appreciate your input

Sorry, I can’t help. Perhaps contact Oz - https://highendbyoz.com/

benito

Jul 23, 2018
France
Hello,

Appreciate your input
You should ask to Vitus. Contact form on their website, they have answered each time.

Reactions: Rawlit

RnRmf

Apr 29, 2015
Hello,

Appreciate your input
From the 101 manual:
Screen Shot 2022-10-09 at 11.25.23 AM.jpg

Reactions: Rawlit

Rawlit

Oct 6, 2021
You should ask to Vitus. Contact form on their website, they have answered each time.

I did ask and this is what I got:

---
Thank you for your mail and interest in our brand.

Unfortunately it is hard to answer what exactly the input impedance would be in the pair of SM-101's that you are looking at.
Around the time where these were produced, we were changing from the standard of 600R to around 10K, and there were also some special models made with different input impedances.

Have a great day.
---

I've provided the serial numbers so they can hopefully trace back the right impedance

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Another layer of liquidity this week. Tube like goodness. Layers, upon layers of sound now.

89F1B2FF-D30F-45E0-A1DC-4596017D0097.jpeg

benito

Jul 23, 2018
France
Another layer of liquidity this week. Tube like goodness. Layers, upon layers of sound now.

View attachment 98996
Did you run them in AB class mode ? When I have listened the SS-103, we switched from A to AB and I did not find a lot of difference.

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Did you run them in AB class mode ? When I have listened the SS-103, we switched from A to AB and I did not find a lot of difference.

I tried AB mode. On the SM-103s the first 30w or so of AB mode is Class A. However, even when I’m playing at low volumes Class A sounds much much better. Better SQ and sound stage. For me there’s no comparison - Class A all the way.

Reactions: Long Live Analog

benito

Jul 23, 2018
France
I tried AB mode. On the SM-103s the first 30w or so of AB mode is Class A. However, even when I’m playing at low volumes Class A sounds much much better. Better SQ and sound stage. For me there’s no comparison - Class A all the way.
Did you switche from A to AB when the amp was hot?

Reactions: Audire

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Did you switche from A to AB when the amp was hot?

Yes. We played a track and then switch modes and listened to the same track. We haven’t tried blind testing yet, but the difference is so considerable that I don’t have any doubt we could identify the two classes.

Class A draws a lot more power from the wall. While the Class AB still sounds excellent - and I could be content with it - the Class A is in another galaxy IMO.

Reactions: Long Live Analog

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
These amps continue to amaze! The sound has gotten even better with more time. We’re completely overwhelmed!!! The last time my Vitus dealer was over his jaw literally dropped. It’s absolutely stunning!

Very excited what the new Vitus MP line stage will bring to the picture in the coming months.

But first, we will run 10 new DACs thru the system... Stay tuned for the results in a different thread.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
But first, we will run 10 new DACs thru the system... Stay tuned for the results in a different thread.
What will the contenders be?

Reactions: sbo6 and Audire

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
What will the contenders be?

The plan is to listen to: Aqua HiFi, Berkeley, EMM DA2V2, Horizon, Ideon Absolute E + Time, MSB Select II, MSB Reference, Playback Designs, and Thrax Maximinus. Some of these will be provided by the manufacturer and others by friends who currently own some of the above.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
The plan is to listen to: Aqua HiFi, Berkeley, EMM DA2V2, Horizon, Ideon Absolute E + Time, MSB Select II, MSB Reference, Playback Designs, and Thrax Maximinus. Some of these will be provided by the manufacturer and others by friends who currently own some of the above.
That's a very nice, wide variety of contenders :cool:
I'm very much looking forward to learn about your findings.

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
These amps continue to amaze! The sound has gotten even better with more time. We’re completely overwhelmed!!! The last time my Vitus dealer was over his jaw literally dropped. It’s absolutely stunning!

Very excited what the new Vitus MP line stage will bring to the picture in the coming months.

Joe, in getting to know you a bit and following you on WBF, it's clear you are a true music lover who pursues the improvement of your system with great enthusiasm. Most importantly, always trusts your ears! Of course, it's great to have a devoted dealer like Tony at Ellington Hi-Fi to support your auditions and weigh in. Congratulations on your Vitus amplifiers, and good luck on the next leg of the journey.

• Love

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Curious if this shootout occurred and if there was any readout?

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Curious if this shootout occurred and if there was any readout?

We never listened to the Lampi Horizon. They couldn't arrange for a demo! However, the rest aside we ended up with a Vitus Masterpiece DAC! It’s everything we desired a DAC and more!

Reactions: sbo6

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing