Visit to Mike Lavigne's house

제목 없음 (1 - 1)-11.jpg

I visited Mike Lavigne's house on Feb 17, 2024.

The main purpose is to compare the sound through top digital and vinyl sound.

Mike has Esoteric T1 turntable which sounds very nice with magnetic gravitaion and option of external clock to control servo motor.

I had listened to Goebel Marquis speaker driven by Esoteric Amps and T1 turntabl during Seoul Audio Show 2023 which was very musical.

On the other hand, Goebel Divin speaker driven by Ch Dac and amps sounded rather cold and dry.

I quit vinyl on 1988.

But during three audio shows that I attended recently ( Pacific Audiofest 2022, 2023, Seoul Audio show 2023), I found rooms playsing vinyl tend to give more natural and musical sounds.

Mike also has Wadax Dac and servers whose retail price is more than 300k$.

I had listened to Wadax Dac and server twice before.

First encounter was at dealer's show room (Ed Devitto).

After doing home audition of Ideon Absolute Dac, we did side by side comparison of Ideon and Wadax over there using Magico M2 speaker drivn by Constellation amps.

I got very favorable opinion on Ideon Absolute Dac after home auditon for one week, but Wadax is clearly in another league with natural but somewhat mystical tonality.

I had another chance to listen to Wadax during Pacific Audiofest 2022.

Goebel Divin speaker driven by Wadax Dac and CH amps sounded very musical and dynamic.

About five years ago, I had done comparison between MSB Select II and Kronus turntable at dealer's showroom.

YG Sonja speaker was driven by Viola amps.

The results showed that MSB Select II could match the musicality of vinyl playback.

As good as MSB Select II is, I got the impression that Wadax is another league above MSB Select II .

MIke also upgraded from MSB Select II to Wadax around 2 years ago.

We played vinyl Beethoven Symphony No 9 directed by Solti through Esoteric T1 first.

It sounds very musical and dynamic through his Evolution MM 7 speakers driven by Dartzell pre and main amps.

No limitation of dynamics and bass with pure tonality.

As well known among audiophile community around Seattle, Mike's system is top notch.

Then we searched same recording through Roon and played through Wadax.

Wadax could match vinyl in every respect. without suface noise.

We also played Misty sung by Ella Fitzerald thorugh vinyl and Wadex.

The result is more or less same.

It seems that vinyl gave slightly more depth but the difference is rather minor.

We also played Chopin piano concerto played by Marth Argerich thorugh vinyl and Wadex..

This time suface noise bothered me slighty but not enough to enjoy music.

We also played Liberty by Anette Askvik thorugh vinyl and Wadex.

To conclude, Wadax match themusicality of th vinyls played throudh Esoteric T1 without surface noise.

On the other hand, it did not overwhelm the sound of vinyl.

Vinyl played throudh Esoteric T1 sounds almost equal to Wadax and sometimes with little bit more of soundstage depth.

Overall I enloyed 2 hours at Mike's dedicated listening room.

His system gave unlimited and natural bass and dynamics with pure tonality.

The only nitpick is that the soundstage depth coud be more if speaker could breath in larger space.

I had got similar impression when I auditioned Magico M9 at Seoul Korea last November.

The dealer's showroom happened to be almost same size as Mikes( 20ft w 29ft d 11ft h)

But I would not down size speakers if I were Mike.

He will miss unlimited bass and dynamics.

The bass was very clean with no overhang.

Thanks Mike for his hospitality as friendly guest.

Last edited:
You use similar crossover points to mine (@ 70 hz and 300Hz) Does the Scaena have a passive crossover for the midrange and tweeters?

I think the videos sound quite good through my headphones.
Thanks for your compliment.

Midrange has no passive crossover which makes it very transparent and clean.

It is supposed to use active crossover cutoff from 70 hz to 100 hz.

But I opted to choose 290 hz using Altec basshorn as mid bass driver.

In that way, I could get more dynamics and lifelike piano sound.

Ribbon tweeters use simple capacitors.

Last edited:
Wow! That is a lot of woofage! I love it!
15 inch Alnico Altec basshorn does not go deep.(only 35 hz or so)

But it sounds fast with unlimited dynamic headroom at most home.

Thus I enjoy this unusual hybrid of bass drivers.

Last edited:
Reactions: rob
to me, a lot of videos sound closed in, lacking openness. They are constricted, congested, slightly dark. Is this the same thing, using different words, as you describe as “coffee can coloration“? In other words, just because people don’t use your exact words to describe an effect, that doesn’t mean they don’t hear the same thing.

Now, if you’re describing something different, could you be a little more specific with your description, so we know what you’re talking about?
Peter, I’m pretty sure my words won’t better explain this sonic signature any better than for me to just let the 3 videos that I posted earlier speak for themselves. I’d be happy to go into detail but first let me ask you…

Since you already have the 3 videos before you to listen for yourself, I’m curious why you prefer I still attempt to describe this signature with my words? At least once pointed out and if true, is it not obvious from listening? Or might you be alluding that my imagination is potentially getting the better of me?

Anyway, you said earlier it was wild how all 3 videos I presented are so vastly different. Yes, I thought so too. What was so wildly different to your ears between these 3 videos?

IMG_4734tesb-3.33JPG.JPG

If out of towner visit Mike's house, be sure to visit Snoqualmie falls which is 20 minutes drive from his home.

The best date is from Nov to April.

I had been to Snoqualmie falls more than 10 times to take artistic photos. :)

Last edited:
View attachment 126382

If you visit Seattle during April, be sure to drop in Skagit Valley Tulip festival which is one and half hour drive from Mike's home.

You won't be disappointed.

Thomas your photo capture a special clear sky day in April in the Skagit Valley. Almost every trip I went to visit the tulips was cold, dreary, rainy PNW spring day. Thanks for sharing the great photo.

Reactions: thomask
Thomas your photo capture a special clear sky day in April in the Skagit Valley. Almost every trip I went to visit the tulips was cold, dreary, rainy PNW spring day. Thanks for sharing the great photo.
H Bob

I live 20 minutes from Festival.

Thus I drop there only in sunny days.

If you go through long term weather forecast, you can choose sunny days.

_MG_5483pbv-23.JPG

I sometimes find nice models on the spot and take photos of them in exchange for sending selected photos to them. :D

Does she look like Ingrid Bergman in Casablaca?

Last edited:
H Bob

I live 20 minutes from Festival.

Thus I drop there only in sunny days.

If you go through long term weather forecast, you can choose sunny days.

View attachment 126392

I sometimes find nice models on the spot and take photos of them in exchange for sending selected photos to them. :D

Does she look like Ingrid Bergman in Casablaca?
She does look like a young Ingrid Bergman! For many years I was a film photographer. Photojournalist. That's how I made my living. Strange I started my audio with analog and now only digital. Yet I never made the transition to digital with photography...I like the few images I saw of yours...

She does look like a young Ingrid Bergman! For many years I was a film photographer. Photojournalist. That's how I made my living. Strange I started my audio with analog and now only digital. Yet I never made the transition to digital with photography...I like the few images I saw of yours...
Thanks a lot for your compliment .

It is nice to know your background.

I had been crazy about photography from 2012 to 2021.

But now I enjoy staying inside while listening to music. ;)

Reactions: John T
Thanks a lot for your compliment .

It is nice to know your background.

I had been crazy about photography from 2012 to 2021.

But now I enjoy staying inside while listening to music. ;)
Your avatar photo is very good. And love the photos of your home you’ve posted as well.

View attachment 126381

If out of towner visit Mike's house, be sure to visit Snoqualmie falls which is 20 minutes drive from his home.

The best date is from Nov to April.

I had been to Snoqualmie falls more than 10 times to take artistic photos. :)
Its pretty awesome "in flood" as they call it up there. I lived in Marysville hell for three years. Lost In The Groove is a cool record store in Mt Vernon, not much with classical however. Tulip fest is pretty spectacular to see.

Last edited:
The following is from someone elses question.

Everyone hears differently and has different opinions on what makes a great sounding system

What are your most important attributes or qualities to get right in a sound system ?

What makes you prefer one component over another?

(please add or edit anything I missed)

Tonality - People who are sensitive to tonality generally can play musical instruments by ear; can tell when an instrument is out of tune and; can also easily pick up problems with wow and flutter in recordings better than others (see the debate on the early Tone Poet releases). Accurate tonality is probably a priority for you if you hear live music and then you can’t stop repositioning your speakers (or trying new ones) until you match the tonality that you heard live. This isn't just frequency range, although that's part of it. It might be quantified as a "flat" frequency response; or qualified as the ability to faithfully reproduce the recording without colouring (emphasizing / de-emphasizing) certain frequencies over others.

Dynamic Range - A critical part of the artistic expression and emotion of the music. It’s the difference between forte and pianissimo in a classical piece of music. It’s hearing a triangle playing along side a tympani; it’s hearing the notes of the acoustic guitar playing in the mix of the rest of a loud rock song. On a sound system it is range of sound pressure level between the quietest notes and the loudest notes. Some music is mastered to come across louder on your sound system but this has been done by compressing the dynamic range - sounds great in the car but considerably less so on a full range home system.

Speed / Transient Response - Attack and decay of notes and percussion is realistic. Note changes on instrument (especially brass, violins and percussion instruments) are clear and sharp (but not edgy). Piano sounds more like a piano; the "thwack" of a snare drum is realistically snappy; hand claps are realistic sounding. Overall it makes music exciting and foot tapping. Somewhat related to.....

Pace, Rhythm and Timing - Have you ever heard the difference between a “tight” Jazz band and one that is not, it is similar in a sound system with good PRAT: Players are in perfect synchronization with each other; the entry and exit of the instruments and notes is right on cue and in perfect time signature with one another. It’s part of what makes the difference between good orchestra conductors and great conductors. On a component with this quality the music is presented so that all the notes and rhythms arrive at your ears in perfect timing. If you’ve heard the difference in a component (or system) than you are probably sensitive to this attribute and it is likely a priority.

Minimal distortion - Harmonic distortion; Intermodular distortion; Inner groove distortion. Whether or not you understand what all these terms mean or how they are measured, you certainly can hear it. It is anything but musical when it is heard. It can make music sound grating, hazy, screechy, fatiguing. Most equipment has sorted THD and IMD out to a quite good standard. However, for some if this isn’t near perfect than nothing else matters. For others it’s not a huge priority so long as it meets a reasonably good standard. p.s.: IGD can drive some vinyl fans crazy (or at least one)

Detail - Being able to hear the audience murmur; a singer take a breath; the fingers of a guitarist hitting the soundboard; or Glenn Gould humming when he plays Bach’s Goldberg Variations. Fun to hear for the first time when you audition a component but is this a top priority?

Soundstage - How well does the stereo image of the musicians appear in front of you. Are they positioned precisely so that you could point to the position of the instrument as if it was actually in front of you. Soundstage width, depth and height: Some systems you can precisely locate the musicians / instruments but the soundstage is narrow; i.e. image is accurate in detail but small in scale. If you typically spend time looking for that "sweet spot" to sit where the soundstage really locks-in then this is probably a priority.

Power / Scale / Volume : Ability of the system to go to realistically loud levels without distorting. Related to the power of your amplification but also very heavily related to the sensitivity of your speakers. Speakers with 90 db/watt/meter will go much louder than speakers with 85 db/watt meter. Is playing to real life levels a priority for you? (Do your neighbours or family members ever complain when you are listening to your music ?)

My answer to above question is as follows.

Nice question!

Good audio system shall have all the thngs you mentioned.

But in reality, it is not posseible.

About 3 weeks ago, I visited Mike's Lavigne's listing room.

His well respected system has almost all of the qualities but not perfect.

But fortunately after listening to his nice system, I still could enjoy my system with tube pre and amp which give more of soundstage depth and holographic imaging.

If I grade his system and my system from my point of view.

Tonality -

Mike's A* all clean no sibilants due to top grade source of turntable and Wadax the best digital available now

It gave the best tonal purity that I had ever listened.

I do not play vinyl and only digital.

Aurender N30sa, Chord Dave modified with three Farad LPS and Mscaler.

My system A- some sibiliant but smoothed by tube pre and power amp.

Dynamic Range -

Mike's A

Mine A-

Speed / Transient Response -

Mike's A

Mine A

Pace, Rhythm and Timing -

Mike's A

Mine A-

Minimal distortion

Mike's A+

Mine A

Due to lot of drivers in Scaena 3.2, my system is also excellent, but Mike's is kind of supreme.

Detail

Mike's A-

Mine A-

Both Mike's and mine does not emphasize super details but musical.

Soundstage

Mike's Soundstage width A- and depth B+

Mine width A-, depth A

Line array of Sceana 3.2 give excellent soundstage and nice placement of each instrument.

Mike's big speaker need more breathing room than his modest large size room of 19 by 30.

Thus depth is rather average although not flat.

Many people prefer Wilson speakers on soundstage width and depth,

I feel that Wilson speakers over exagerrate them

Power / Scale / Volume

Mike's A+

Mine A

I do active tri amping.

Pair of Rel 31 and Scaena 18 inch subwoofers tandem below 90 hz

Altec 15inch basshorn from 90 hz to 290hz

Scaena line arrays from 290 hz up.

In the video, Lansche 4.1 and Altec A7 treble horns are idle.

Reactions: Klonk
What are your most important attributes or qualities to get right in a sound system ?

How it all comes together to present a convincing listening experience that reminds me of listening to live music. For me it is not about specific individual attributes or qualities but the whole presentation and balance. Nothing should stick out or call attention to itself. When leaving a live performance, I rarely reflect on a sonic attribute of the sound. I reflect on the music, the performance, and the overall experience. It should be the same with a sound system. And sometimes it is. This is when I know it is right. Otherwise, it is just spectacle.

What makes you prefer one component over another?

How natural it sounds.

How it all comes together to present a convincing listening experience that reminds me of listening to live music. For me it is not about specific individual attributes or qualities but the whole presentation and balance. Nothing should stick out or call attention to itself. When leaving a live performance, I rarely reflect on a sonic attribute of the sound. I reflect on the music, the performance, and the overall experience. It should be the same with a sound system. And sometimes it is. This is when I know it is right. Otherwise, it is just spectacle.

How natural it sounds.
Agreed, your sound system should be an effortless exercise. No one thing should stand out, each attribute/quality should complement each other and blend together. Not often easy, but with trial/error/years of experience, one becomes accustomed to their preference...

How it all comes together to present a convincing listening experience that reminds me of listening to live music. For me it is not about specific individual attributes or qualities but the whole presentation and balance. Nothing should stick out or call attention to itself.

How natural it sounds.
Agree!

I favor the overall balanced sound.

Too much details could sound exciting but give fatigue in the long term.

Tonality is very important for overall musicality,.

Personal preference is realistic soundstage.

Line arrays of Scaena is very good at it.

Although Lansche give cleaner tonaility over Scaena due to plasma tweeter, I tend to play Scaena more often because of realistic soundstage.

But Lansche also give pretty good wide and deep soundstage.

Reactions: John T

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing