Visit to Marc C.'s (SpiritOfMusic's) House in England

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
i think I saw her at lord’s all 5 days she was pretending to enjoy cricket but think she just wanted to be away till amps came back. Thought it looked suspicious as match lasted only three days.
Ked, there are few things Ra loves more than me (so says my ego), but Test cricket is one of them, so it's possible I guess.

Reactions: bonzo75

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
The audiophile journey isn’t just about us, it’s also about the people close to us who support our passions and who we slowly torture along the way :rolleyes: we’ve all been there lol
Kinda like "sharing the pain"?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I think I should allow Marc to tarry with you on this one… you guys are way too mercurial for an ageing antipodean lol
Graham, you do just fine for your age. Some of us age like fine wine, some of us like a day-old opened bottle of Coke.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: the sound of Tao

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Marc since when have they been putting the coke into bottles :eek:

Reactions: Lagonda

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
As long as kids have been going manic at birthday parties and trips to McDonalds.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
You were quiet for three months. View attachment 97313

Meanwhile I had a listening session with NAT Magma new
Ked, ordinarily I'd love to consider the Magmas. However at half the weight I struggled to get my SE2SE monos up my spiral staircase (courtesy of my back muscles atrophying listening to music constantly for decades), these Magmas are never happening.
--
Did you like them any more than what you felt was a less than stellar experience at The General's?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Ked, ordinarily I'd love to consider the Magmas. However at half the weight I struggled to get my SE2SE monos up my spiral staircase (courtesy of my back muscles atrophying listening to music constantly for decades), these Magmas are never happening.
--
Did you like them any more than what you felt was a less than stellar experience at The General's?

A good 46, 45, 2a3, 300b, 801 are in a different league to very high Powered tubes for speakers that they can drive. They have simpler circuits are way much more pure and agile and nuanced. So where headroom is required NATs etc come in. They are excellent amps for such purposes no point in comparing them with the flea watts. Their competition is SS amps. While they cannot drive the likes of apogee they can do well with somewhat easier loads.

The Sigma MAAT I heard them with I have heard with Koda K70 and will listen with Lamm hybrids and Kondo, although all in different set ups. I think Nat was excellent and compared with Karan, better, though I was surprised how well Karan did. Toni is still burning in riviera hybrids which he has just received then so let’s see how that goes

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I'd have to agree, Ked. Even though I didn't feel there was a massive step up at The General going from the Magmas to the Mayer 46, that may have been more to do with me really not liking the Pnoes he was using or the music we played that day.
Hearing the Mayer 46 monos at his subsequently on the Gran Sferas horns, and on Bill's bespoke horns, even without a direct comparison to the Magmas, I know implicitly the 46 amps are purer and more transparent likely than anything Nat high power tubes could provide.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I'd have to agree, Ked. Even though I didn't feel there was a massive step up at The General going from the Magmas to the Mayer 46, that may have been more to do with me really not liking the Pnoes he was using or the music we played that day.
Hearing the Mayer 46 monos at his subsequently on the Gran Sferas, and on Bill's bespoke horns, even without a direct comparison to the Magmas I know implicitly the 46 amps are purer and more transparent likely than anything Nat high power tubes could provide.

there was a massive step up there going from Magma to 46. Anyone could hear it you have to be biased not to

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Yes, I *soooooo* wanted the Nats to be best. A more relevant criticism is maybe I'm not the best listener, or listen out for certain things. I guess that could be deemed bias too.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
An interesting early impression is that my CDP seems to be quite a way behind my TT in terms of full enjoyment/potential.
One of the reasons I've maxxed out with my current vinyl direction has been the strict taskmaster my Eera digital has been.
For the first time in ages, and maybe most comprehensively since I acquired the first digital piece I really could live with (EMM Labs CDSA-SE in 2010), my vinyl playback has now properly progressed beyond, indicated by a much more even, neutral and open playback of classical and jazz.
My Eera Tentation a tad more coloured in comparison.
Caveat...less than 5 hours on amps chock full of new caps and four "cold" 211s.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Congratulations on getting the amps back, Marc! It’s great you have somebody in-country who can fix them!

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Ked, ordinarily I'd love to consider the Magmas.

+1

A.J. Conti had the first generation of Magmas and also Magma News on his Verity speakers. He told me that he loved those amplifiers, and that he had no reliability problems with either pair.

My high-power SET amp “fantasy” remains Magma New or Trafomatic Drina or AM 833 Ultima.

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Hearing the Mayer 46 monos at his subsequently on the Gran Sferas horns, and on Bill's bespoke horns, even without a direct comparison to the Magmas, I know implicitly the 46 amps are purer and more transparent likely than anything Nat high power tubes could provide.
So the General sacked his Pnoes in favour of Gran Sferas?
Can i ask how they compare?
The Gran Sferas look capable of filling a room, very intriguing, especially if they have the bass extension to handle electronica. Although I'm guessing it would be sacrilege to drive them with a solid state amp..

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
The Gran Sferas look capable of filling a room, very intriguing, especially if they have the bass extension to handle electronica. Although I'm guessing it would be sacrilege to drive them with a solid state amp..

I also think I read somewhere that the General no longer has his VYGER turntable. I don’t see it in Bill’s signature either.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Gavin, the Sferas were just in for a short trial. No, don't try SS w them. They have an OB woofers option for deep bass.
I totally loved them, imho superior to the Pnoes.

Reactions: infinitely baffled

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

the Sfera were for audition three or four years ago. They went out quickly. I never heard them, Bill did. The pnoe are still there

Last edited:
Reactions: infinitely baffled

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Congratulations on getting the amps back, Marc! It’s great you have somebody in-country who can fix them!
Well Ron, this is becoming a real problem, deffo in the UK, maybe everywhere.
I ran thru nearly half a dozen engineers before James became the best, and only option. Engineers are either retired, retiring, have waiting lists of 9-12 months, not confident to work without a schematic, or just plain disinterested.
I can't thank James enough for not only doing a sterling job, but also just agreeing to do the job at all!
Now if James retires....

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Gavin, the Sferas were just in for a short trial. No, don't try SS w them. They have an OB woofers option for deep bass.
I totally loved them, imho superior to the Pnoes.
Were you not tempted to acquire a pair for yourself, Marc?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing