Visit to Marc C.'s (SpiritOfMusic's) House in England

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Certainly could free up the solid state of them tubes. With any anima you should never go solid state. It’s like passing a camel through the eye of a needle.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
No, disappointment. There was so much to like w them, but ultimately the aspects I've highlighted jarred w me.
Sour grapes suggests I had some skin in the game.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
No, disappointment. There was so much to like w them, but ultimately the aspects I've highlighted jarred w me.
Sour grapes suggests I had some skin in the game.
Sour grapes has nothing to do with skin in the game. It’s declaring something undesirable because for one reason or another it is out of your reach.

Reactions: christoph

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Point taken. They weren't for me in the end, despite lots of anticipation ahead of the demo.
Point not taken, Marc, if you mean “not for you” sonically. You still declare the speaker not for you based on one data point. If by “not for you” you mean financially, well then alright...

Reactions: Argonaut

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
This is so stupid. I couldn't afford the Liszts either, but I've done nothing else other than praise them (allowing for one caveat that I know wasn't related to the spkr).
I can't likely afford Graz Apogee Divas...I've heard them and given meaningful analysis, liking them in lots of ways but not all.
Bill's horns will likely be too pricey for me. I've only talked positively about them.
--
So Brad, lack of affordability is not a factor in my comments.
Maybe you you should let it go, you're increasing the pain by continually digging. I've already acknowledged I was too harsh in saying the Symphonias are seriously flawed, just the flaws I heard I couldn't ignore.
Time for you to move on.

Reactions: Lagonda

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
This is so stupid. I couldn't afford the Liszts either, but I've done nothing else other than praise them (allowing for one caveat that I know wasn't related to the spkr).
I can't likely afford Graz Apogee Divas...I've heard them and given meaningful analysis, liking them in lots of ways but not all.
Bill's horns will likely be too pricey for me. I've only talked positively about them.
--
So Brad, lack of affordability is not a factor in my comments.
Maybe you you should let it go, you're increasing the pain by continually digging. I've already acknowledged I was too harsh in saying the Symphonias are seriously flawed, just the flaws I heard I couldn't ignore.
Time for you to move on.
If writing on a hifi chat forum cause you pain you are more than a bit masochistic, eh? However, consider it dropped.

Btw. Ever give Odeons a listen? Their new Semper model might be just the thing for you as a true and still affordable upgrade. Would work great with your NAT gear... I heard it earlier this year at the Odeon factory and it was deeply impressive with about 20 SET watts in a pretty big room.

I have now ordered a pair of their new Rigolettos because we heard those too and it was amazing what these small, fully horn loaded, speakers could do.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
If writing on a hifi chat forum cause you pain you are more than a bit masochistic, eh? However, consider it dropped.

Btw. Ever give Odeons a listen? Their new Semper model might be just the thing for you as a true and still affordable upgrade. Would work great with your NAT gear... I heard it earlier this year at the Odeon factory and it was deeply impressive with about 20 SET watts in a pretty big room.

I have now ordered a pair of their new Rigolettos because we heard those too and it was amazing what these small, fully horn loaded, speakers could do.
Oh and the new Helix is pretty awesome as well, according to my audio buddies (I didn’t get to hear it yet. However, it might be slightly small for your room.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Brad, was just communicating that my response was related purely to what I heard, not hyped for any other reason...certainly not lack of affordability.
Demos are always hard to calibrate when an enormous amount of anticipation goes into them, there are many positives, but the negatives are hard to reconcile.
So while Liszts bass energy issues were immediately apparent as room loading problems (proved at a later demo in another room), the Symphonias SQ felt "inherent" as this was 100% ACerat components other than server, and the system had been fully dialled in.
And that's all I can say.
Thanks for yet another Odeons recommendation, as night follows day Lol.
Maybe if I get that awful audiophile itch again, and anti histamines don't hit the spot.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Brad, was just communicating that my response was related purely to what I heard, not hyped for any other reason...certainly not lack of affordability.
Demos are always hard to calibrate when an enormous amount of anticipation goes into them, there are many positives, but the negatives are hard to reconcile.
So while Liszts bass energy issues were immediately apparent as room loading problems (proved at a later demo in another room), the Symphonias SQ felt "inherent" as this was 100% ACerat components other than server, and the system had been fully dialled in.
Thanks for yet another Odeons recommendation, as night follows day Lol.
Maybe if I get that awful audiophile itch again, and anti histamines don't hit the spot.
I thought we considered it dropped...you are just repeating yourself...as night follows day...;)

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
...and weeks follow days...
Touché!

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
and the system had been fully dialled in.
And you are categorically certain of this How ? Particularly in light of the point I made previously in respect of the number of user select variables that may be applied to the crossover slopes of the Midrange output of the Symphonia.

Reactions: morricab

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
And you are categorically certain of this How ? Particularly in light of the point I made previously in respect of the number of user select variables that may be applied to the crossover slopes of the Midrange output of the Symphonia.
No, sorry moon...this topic causes pain and has been DROPPED! :p

• Haha

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Haha! 8 years on this forum has burnt out all my pain centres
So carry on, I'm numb to it

Aries Cerat

Industry Expert
May 30, 2015
As for example, the same system had one channel at -2 and other at +5 for a number of days , as owner did not notice, while listening off axis all the time :)

I quietly go away .....

Cheers

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
OK I can't take it anymore.

I have to ask, what is tonal density? You use it all the time but WTF is it?

Enlighten. Please Monsieur!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Justin, what I mean by tone density is a combination of Zu high efficiency and steady impedance that doesn't dip (101dB/1m and 8 Ohms) and zero crossover in the 40Hz-12kHz region, combining to create a very palpable centered sound thru the mids that majors on saturation and shove, bringing a real solidity and immediacy that makes the texture and tone of instruments and voices seem very real.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing