Visit to Audiophile Bill to hear his horns project

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Hi Chris,

No need - I am sorry that this has become about uni. I have enjoyed the recent vids a lot. Do I think a wood uni could be better - absolutely :)
Sorry again :oops:

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
  • Love
Reactions: christoph

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
The material alone does not mean a thing, it is always dependant on the specific application. I myself use composite horns by autotech on my multiway horn system however In my new design wood works better. If I was to go with a clone of my multiway system, I would have gone with composite.

I have a friend who will be making horns for me out of basalt rock fiber combined with some other materials... Basically, it looks like green carbon fiber.

I agree with Bill's previous statement about the brain filtering out most of the contribution a horn makes over time, it's like becoming anosmic to a smell... for example cooking smells or incense, after a while you can't smell it until you go outside for a bit and come back inside again. But, it's best to start with as close to no "smell" at all. :)

Mold for 330 Hz JMLC...

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I have a friend who will be making horns for me out of basalt rock fiber combined with some other materials... Basically, it looks like green carbon fiber.

I agree with Bill's previous statement about the brain filtering out most of the contribution a horn makes over time, it's like becoming anosmic to a smell... for example cooking smells or incense, after a while you can't smell it until you go outside for a bit and come back inside again. But, it's best to start with as close to no "smell" at all. :)

Mold for 330 Hz JMLC...

They all have a smell. The combination will make you appreciate some or focus only on the negative

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
They all have a smell. The combination will make you appreciate some or focus only on the negative

plastic smells worse which is why we don’t play plastic violins and instruments - isn’t rocket science

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015

Mold for 330 Hz JMLC...

Hi Dave,

Your approach looks very interesting! Look forward to hearing more.

Best.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
plastic smells worse which is why we don’t play plastic violins and instruments - isn’t rocket science

It is misleading to state composite material horns make violins on universum, silvercore, Berlin horns, and Leif sound like plastic. Or on pnoe. Change your driver to BMS plastic in your wood horns and try

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
There are exceptions...Billy Cobham's and John Boham's vistalite drumkits from early 70s. I personally love Billy's Mahavishnu Orchestra and Spectrum solo album sounds.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
It is misleading to state composite material horns make violins on universum, silvercore, Berlin horns, and Leif sound like plastic. Or on pnoe. Change your driver to BMS plastic in your wood horns and try

Go to another thread and tell repeated lies there and misinformation there, Ked.

Your ego and misconstruing people is unpleasant and rude.

I have tried multiple drivers in my horns FYI. Voxativ, Loth X, Lowther, and vintage drivers from both Wharfedale and Tesla.

Reactions: marmota

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Go to another thread and tell repeated lies there and misinformation there, Ked.

Your ego and misconstruing people is unpleasant and rude.

I have tried multiple drivers in my horns FYI. Voxativ, Loth X, Lowther, and vintage drivers from both Wharfedale and Tesla.

You are the one fighting Bill, I am not. I know you tried drivers, so you are saying using BMS plastic in wood horn won't produce plastic tone compared to using AER, but using autotech horns will? With tad, Radian, or another driver irrespective?

Take a deep breath, and reread your posts you are the one taking the thread downhill because you are hell bent on not accepting that something in autotech sounds not plastic and we have to agree with you

Each post of yours has been dismissing autotech and the people who like it as if they can't differentiate between real and plastic and only you can

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
You are the one fighting Bill, I am not. I know you tried drivers, so you are saying using BMS plastic in wood horn won't produce plastic tone compared to using AER, but using autotech horns will? With tad, Radian, or another driver irrespective?

Take a deep breath, and reread your posts you are the one taking the thread downhill because you are hell bent on not accepting that something in autotech sounds not plastic and we have to agree with you

Ked - please go and post somewhere else.
I am responding to your continuous lies and misconstruing of what I have said.

I don’t know about BMS in my horns as not tried it yet.

Don’t do some pseudo moral high ground “deep breath” on me - it is poor form.

And yes Autotech horns have a plastic colouration imho. I am not here seeking your qualitative opinion or judgement AND I certainly don’t feel OR want OR need for your to agree with me at all. Please graciously disagree with me and that is fine.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Ked - please go and post somewhere else.
I am responding to your continuous lies and misconstruing of what I have said.

I don’t know about BMS in my horns as not tried it yet.

Don’t do some pseudo moral high ground “deep breath” on me - it is poor form.

And yes Autotech horns have a plastic colouration imho. I am not here seeking your qualitative opinion or judgement AND I certainly don’t feel OR want OR need for your to agree with me at all. Please graciously disagree with me and that is fine.

No you have been viciously attacking after I disagreed that these don't sound plastic and continuing to demean autotech and listeners with every post. Car company, cheap, plastic violins, etc.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
No you have been viciously attacking after I disagreed that these don't sound plastic and continuing to demean autotech and listeners with every post. Car company, cheap, plastic violins, etc.

No I am responding angrily to your persistent lies. And no I am not backing down to you.

What are you some promotional spokesman / agony aunt for Autotech - leave it out. Jog on Ked.

marmota

Feb 3, 2016
@bonzo75 May you please continue with your car salesman rethoric somewhere else? This is a beautiful thread, please don't poop on it.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Okay after that unpleasant interlude, I think it would be nice to move the thread back to something more interesting.

I have been developing this huge horn which will cross around ~120hz although tbd.

Here I attach some images for fun - this is pre-sanding and finishing. My 9 year old daughter for scale:

DE03CD03-8F74-4BFB-8C18-6860732ED5D0.jpeg

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
She's standing on tiptoes!

Reactions: Audiophile Bill

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
5F2E5857-3478-432E-A6D7-CAD0304D57E3.jpeg
Back chamber - dining table for scale. This is 40mm mahogany. Started life as dodecagon.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Exact same horn from other angle now spinning with initial finishing underway.

CBB7B668-14C8-4C65-A637-7C0044537D5A.jpeg

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Almost unbelievable, Bill! Wow!

• Love
Reactions: Audiophile Bill

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing