Visit to Audiophile Bill to hear his horns project

In the Pnoe, the AER runs full range to around (below?) 40 Hz iIrc so I though at least 80 Hz should be feasible without horn loading

Too much distortion at low freq vs the larger drivers im thinking, best to operate both in their respective sweet spots ..

Reactions: christoph
Fro
Hi Bill,

Do you really find the highs from the AER to be that good? To date I have not heard a single driver where I think the highs sound right...except from my Acoustats/Stax full-range electrostatic speakers. All the cones with whizzers sound somewhat tizzy to me, which to me sounds like what is probably happening...the whizzer breaking up. People were raving about the Cube Neuphar and to be fair it has it strengths but the highs to me never sounded right. I have heard the AER at shows and it never sounded special to me compared to say Voxativ, which also has HF issues to my ears.

From what i have read , think of it as a tweeter on a moving baffle and then there's the center pressure from the driver when in excursion playing bass ..

Or something like that ... :)

Bananas.

I am not sure how to react to the visuals.

Completely unacceptable for 97.376% of audiophiles, even? 173% unacceptable for anyone else?

Why do you want visuals for audio

Reactions: Lagonda
It is a horn speaker with OB servo bass section. It doesn't use full range or compression drivers. it is three way with 5 drivers and its horn loads and controls the pattern down to 200hz. Like a danley it loads into a single horn but with a completely different approach, no holes etc. I think there are no horn/drivers combination like this one ever produced.

I have finished and built and tested/measured the prototype. The first pair have also been built and now is being painted and polished (takes three weeks just for that as it has real piano finish for some parts). Then I will take the finished pair to an accredited facility for official tests in an anechoic room to go along with my product. I am also making tests in three different types of rooms to show the common scenarios for room responses. I really do not like companies who does not share any or just a frequency response that has been smoothed out and scaled down. I want to have a combination of them including frequency response, off axis response, phase, impedance, impulse response etc. If all these are good then that speaker will sound right and within reference if the room you have allows it. For taste of people I can not comment. I am just vary of measuring really bad speakers in my friends and fellow enthusiasts houses who are trying to comment on front end equipment or cables while having wildest variations and getting used to a wrong sound.

Agree with you too much smoke and mirrors and no data , plenty lada dee dum thou ..

Looking forward to your findings ..!

These designers need to get out a bit more.

Why do you want visuals for audio

I thought the first video was bad on Timbre the second was very good , but I can hear the tizzyness as described previously by Brad , about whizzers , the 3rd was horrendous ..

Using headphones ...

Of course may have no reflection to the actual sound as this is all U boob stuff ..

Bill, would you be looking, where reasonably no restraints apply, for a multi way incl upper bass and lower bass horns, a proper long basshorn...AND dedicated, seperate sub woofer columns?

For as much bloom and extension from lower mids down with additional bass speed/impact/PRaT?

A six-tower solution (four-tower if you integrate deep basshorn into the main horns tower, OB woofers seperate towers)?

If no limits on space at all, I would like to build a system like the gentleman in Germany with the 6 way Goto with straight bass horns down to 30hz yes.

1C20FCE2-C257-4AB9-99C1-F2BEE35C069B.jpeg

I thought the first video was bad on Timbre the second was very good , but I can hear the tizzyness as described previously by Brad , about whizzers , the 3rd was horrendous ..

Using headphones ...

Of course may have no reflection to the actual sound as this is all U boob stuff ..

So what do you think of these then. The first below is the same music as the first above. All the ones above, below, and in the hORNS Universum thread are the way I like my violin. If we disagree on this then we have a different way of the way we hear through youtube

Last edited:
The TAD and pnoe videos are on mobile while the big AER horn is with a proper recorder

The best was the second Video , the first is a bit too wirey , a bit too much tweeter i presume if Speakers , the 3 rd video was bad, poor timbre and little contrast ..

The second video was good ....!

Reactions: adyc
The best was the second Video , the first is a bit too wirey , a bit too much tweeter i presume if Speakers , the 3 rd video was bad, poor timbre and little contrast ..

The second video was good ....!

The first and third were by mobile phone, second was a recorder. Same with the previous post, you are not liking the ones recorded on mobile phone.

Which did you like ..? The first was good but wirey to me , the last was bad IMO

I like all of them. It is just mobile vs recorder sonics, recorder will always sound superior as a video, but the nuance, speed, everything in those videos is good. I record many things on my mobile and listen back, and sometimes if you have good highs they can sound a bit harsh on mobile, but doesn't mean they are in person. So it depends on how you judge a video. I think some like the video to be recorded with a device that has better sonics, but I am indifferent to that in video.

I believe you are indifferent for the same reasons musicians are indifferent , to playback, you have good memory recall, mostly from “only” doing concerts , this takes over and fill in the gaps ..

You are looking for certain sound cues and if it hits you fill in the gaps , for others without that kind of recall memory, we look on and say nope ,

mad..! :)

Its the same when you demo for musicians, worse playing their own material it sounds fantastic to them ,

Their brain takes over , regardless

I like all of them. It is just mobile vs recorder sonics, recorder will always sound superior as a video, but the nuance, speed, everything in those videos is good. I record many things on my mobile and listen back, and sometimes if you have good highs they can sound a bit harsh on mobile, but doesn't mean they are in person. So it depends on how you judge a video. I think some like the video to be recorded with a device that has better sonics, but I am indifferent to that in video.

They all sound bad. The first and second one are wiry, the third one just weird. Can't say much about nuance and speed where the highs are exaggerated and there is thinness of sound: fake transparency.

They all have bad, unnatural flow, partially smeared, too.

All this on headphones from computer. Normal recordings sound acceptable on YouTube through that chain, so that is not the problem.

I believe you are indifferent for the same reasons musicians are indifferent , to playback, you have good memory recall, mostly from “only” doing concerts , this takes over and fill in the gaps ..

You are looking for certain sound cues and if it hits you fill in the gaps , for others without that kind of recall memory, we look on and say nope ,

mad..! :)

Its the same when you demo for musicians, worse playing their own material it sounds fantastic to them ,

Their brain takes over , regardless

I think with videos some look at the overall sonic of the video, while I am looking at what cues I can pick up on the equipment. I feel I can get good cues of the equipment from above irrespective of the sonics of the video output. I really don't like the close in Tascam videos which have very good sonics but take away room ambience, for example

They all sound bad. The first and second one are wiry, the third one just weird. Can't say much about nuance and speed where the highs are exaggerated and there is thinness of sound: fake transparency.

They all have bad, unnatural flow, partially smeared, too.

All this on headphones from computer. Normal recordings sound acceptable on YouTube through that chain, so that is not the problem.

Their flow is amazing. Nuance and speed is the highest. Transparency is maximum of these drivers, both see through transparency is great and transparency to recordings is extremely high.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing