Visit to Audiophile Bill to hear his horns project

Apparently Bill got over his stated aversion to plastic horns with their plastic coloration. That makes me feel better about my Oris150 horns.
That’ll be due to the Pnoe being manufactured out of high density fibreglass ;)

Apparently Bill got over his stated aversion to plastic horns with their plastic coloration. That makes me feel better about my Oris150 horns.

His BD swings also had a driver, BMS, with plastic diaphragm. I have heard that driver cause plastic colour in a horn made by plaster of Paris/concrete mix

Reactions: Argonaut
Does the other guy get to stay??
Yes, because he pays to advertise here. ;)
But to the credit of this site, it is his forum, which is meant for his products only. So he can basically say what he wants, or doesn’t want to, on that forum specifically.
Bill should not have left - it does give the impression that the other guy “won” when you don’t show up to the fight.

Reactions: beaur
Update on my horns:
The crossovers are now wall mounted, which added more stability to vocals and instruments, extended decay, and a more cohesive soundstage (vs standing them on the floor and leaning against a wall).

I didn’t go in Bill’s direction. My views on single driver vs multi-driver sound be clear. There is also a 6’ tall active transmission line sub (not pictured). If you want to play the breadth of music available, one driver won’t cut it, for the simple reason that no single (or dual) driver exists that can play accurately across the spectrum.
A simple crossover with high quality components will not deteriorate the sound. While these speakers were being built, I had an open baffle JL Labs design with single RCA “high frequency” woofers. They were nice, but could never compete with these.

I also agree with Weiss at OMA :eek:that only conical horns add no distortion to the sound and have the widest sweet spot.

Time alignment is also critical - most of these large horn projects are not time aligned.You can certainly have a great and fun sound from non time-aligned drivers; but with multiple horns the affects are usually greater than with conventional drivers (eg, Magico).

Attachments

• EDD6E004-3394-45BC-A789-D82D3779DEB9.jpeg
    EDD6E004-3394-45BC-A789-D82D3779DEB9.jpeg
    392.3 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Update on my horns:

I also agree with Weiss at OMA () that only conical horns add no distortion to the sound and have the widest sweet spot.

Time alignment is also critical - most of these large horn projects are not time aligned.You can certainly have a great and fun sound from non time-aligned drivers; but with multiple horns the affects are usually greater than with conventional drivers (eg, Magico).
How is your post relevant to the thread topic ! I would recommend that you start your own project thread … As to your assertion regarding a simple stave and plank conical wave guide construction being the apogee of horn design might you enlighten us further.

Last edited:
Reactions: djsina2
How is your post relevant to the thread topic ! I would recommend that you start your own project thread … As to your assertion regarding a simple stave and plank conical wave guide construction being the apogee of horn design might you enlighten us further.
Because I had discussed my horns with Bill on this thread. Actually, you had asked for more information here?!
I have no further desire to post - you can do you own research!
(I see you have built a fairly negative following here on WBF - read some recent comments. Thanks for the +1 on the Ignore list. I have no time for zero value added comments.)

Do you know what is the material being used in current Avantgarde horns?
abs plastic last info i know.abs also has a problem uv light must be painted very well.

The MooN:
I´ll just install a notch that adresses a small raise in 12-1300Hz area that corresponds with compression driver resonance
parts are ordered from NL...hope they dispatch today

Last edited:
Reactions: Argonaut

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing