Vinyl Sales Outpace CD Sales!

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
I never understand the need people have to take a crack at something that is other than their preference.

If you love CDs, or vinyl or a server based replay more power to you as long as it is making you happy. But why frame the defence of your choice by taking shots at the other ways fellow audiophiles choose to enjoy music or sound or gear? Just because something is not to your particular liking or you struggle with it doesn’t then make it bad. Might just be about your preferences or your particular sensitivities or you or your systems strengths or weaknesses.

But whether you love sound or love music or love both it’s all good. But I’ve yet to meet an audiophile who makes everything genuinely simple in their approach to this. We are all the architects of our own complex responses.

This is the completely simple way that I started my love of audio and music…

View attachment 80199
I was totally fascinated by the music and my first record player experiences as a kid… the drives to be an audiophile lead us to somewhere possibly fantastic and different, but I’d suggest rarely any simpler :eek:
What a beauty.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) Tell us about your four box Vivaldi, which version and updates, and all of those cables. Wait, please don't.

Why not? The dCS Vivaldi system is simple, predictable and reliable. It comes with excellent manuals, filled with clear connecting schemes that makes the connection of the four boxes a children affair. There was only one upgrade big upgrade, it was extremely simple to carry - in a few cases of older versions of the upsampler that needed a small board replacement the dealers/distributors carried it. All else is carried transparently to the user through the net. Ah, yes we also had to play a CD that was delivered by dealers. And people who hate many boxes can get a dCS Vivaldi One.

Great analog remains great and does not change much if at all. You just have to find it and know how to set it up. Great digital seems to revolutionize every few years, or so it seems to me.

Well, I have enjoyed my digital in equal terms with analog for twenty years. You did "mistakes" for decades and only now seem to have reached nirvana in a completely different approach helped by a mentor - a real revolution, IMHO. BTW, my approach to the hobby for forty years has been music and stereo equipment, not getting stability to be buried in peace. ;)

Now, just MHO . We can't have nothing really revolutionary in stereo - the format is limited to information being carried in two channels and the gaps in information are filled by the listener. If we want reality we should go ambisonics or multichannel.

What is the point of MQA? We can enumerate tens of unsuccessful experiences along the years with analog, but what does it prove? BTW, I suggest you read dCS words on MQA - MQA exists, we implement it at its best form in our equipment for free. Our customers decide if they want to use it or not.

Digital must be quite simple for the billions of downloads for the many many music lovers. We here are doing something different.
And ? ...

Reactions: christoph and wil

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
The change is constant. Put simply it's data processing and everything that goes with that. There are as many algorithms as there are programmers. Instead of output going to the internet or a printer or a screen or a database, it goes to a speaker.

Yes, part of the flow of information is data processing. Audio designers can use it to customize their solutions. The same way some people customize their way of collecting dust from their LPs ... :)

wil

Jul 22, 2015
I never understand the need people have to take a crack at something that is other than their preference.

If you love CDs, or vinyl or a server based replay more power to you as long as it is making you happy. But why frame the defence of your choice by taking shots at the other ways fellow audiophiles choose to enjoy music or sound or gear? Just because something is not to your particular liking or you struggle with it doesn’t then make it bad. Might just be about your preferences or your particular sensitivities or you or your systems strengths or weaknesses.
I agree. It's tiresome and misguided by vanity and ignorance.

Reactions: Andrew S.

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Micro Seiki SX 8000 II, (2) NOS SME 3012R, Technics MM: EPC-205CMK3, 3X vdH Colibri, Loricraft, KLAudio, Lamm LP2.1

--- That is: a turntable, 2 tonearms 5 cartridges, 2 record cleaners, a phono amplifier

Paul Hynes SR4T + HDPlex HD500 PSUs -> Music PC w/JCAT Femto nic, HQPlayer, Roon, Tidal / Qobuz | HDPlex HD100 PSU -> OCX clock + EtherRegen | Aqua Acoustic Quality LinQ streamer | Aqua Acoustic Quality Formula xHD Rev. 2 DAC

--- Kinda guessing here: a music server, a quiet case w/ special power supply for the music pc(?), a music pc with a special network card, an upsampler(?), 3 music sources, a power supply, a clock, a switch, a network device maybe something like router(?), a digital to analog converter

None of which has anything to do with vinyl or compact disc sales. :)
I'll leverage what Microstrip said as I can't say it any better - "This hobby can be as complex as we want it to be. You can have an excellent digital system that is very simple, or can make it an epic battle. The same way we can do it with vinyl."

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Micro Seiki SX 8000 II, (2) NOS SME 3012R, Technics MM: EPC-205CMK3, 3X vdH Colibri, Loricraft, KLAudio, Lamm LP2.1

--- That is: a turntable, 2 tonearms 5 cartridges, 2 record cleaners, a phono amplifier

Paul Hynes SR4T + HDPlex HD500 PSUs -> Music PC w/JCAT Femto nic, HQPlayer, Roon, Tidal / Qobuz | HDPlex HD100 PSU -> OCX clock + EtherRegen | Aqua Acoustic Quality LinQ streamer | Aqua Acoustic Quality Formula xHD Rev. 2 DAC

--- Kinda guessing here: a music server, a quiet case w/ special power supply for the music pc(?), a music pc with a special network card, an upsampler(?), 3 music sources, a power supply, a clock, a switch, a network device maybe something like router(?), a digital to analog converter

None of which has anything to do with vinyl or compact disc sales. :)
And BTW that's 11 vinyl components versus 8 digital. So there! :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing