Vinyl playing too slow

tden04

Sep 30, 2023
CT
Hi all, I have just dug up my Dad's old record player and I'm looking to get into vinyls. I have a few of his old ones and a couple new ones I just purchased myself, but they all seem to be playing too slowly. I have it set to 33, which is what they are, yet they are still playing slow. I believe since it has been sitting for a while, maybe the belt has lost it's elasticity?

Going off of this idea, I'm looking to remove the turntable to replace said belt, but am unable to figure out how it comes off. I can't seem to find anything online about this model. Any ideas or help is appreciated. Details/pictures below. The second photo is a close up of the center which I think maybe has something to do with removing it?? unsure.

Model: JCPenny 1951 AM/FM Stereo system

Attachments

• IMG_8976.jpg
    IMG_8976.jpg
    532.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_8975.jpg
    IMG_8975.jpg
    456 KB · Views: 14

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
Music City, USA aka Nashville
If it’s more than 20 years old, the power supply may need to be recapped. Certainly the bearing lube needs attention too. The belt’s a good idea, but may not be enough.

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
Music City, USA aka Nashville
One other thought. JC Penney did not build turntables. They rebadged something from someone else. In 1951 it probably used a “needle” rather than a diamond stylus. It is also likely to have a heavy tracking force, so it is very likely to ruin your records within a few plays.

There is a vinyl forum where guys who like antiques hang out. I’ll look it up and post a link.

Seriously though, a 72 year old JC Penney badged Turntable is only worth restoring for nostalgic reasons. It might not be a bad idea to bin it and get a lower model Rega.

tden04

Sep 30, 2023
CT
One other thought. JC Penney did not build turntables. They rebadged something from someone else. In 1951 it probably used a “needle” rather than a diamond stylus. It is also likely to have a heavy tracking force, so it is very likely to ruin your records within a few plays.

There is a vinyl forum where guys who like antiques hang out. I’ll look it up and post a link.

Seriously though, a 72 year old JC Penney badged Turntable is only worth restoring for nostalgic reasons. It might not be a bad idea to bin it and get a lower model Rega.
Thanks for your reply and advice. I’ll check out the other forum, as well as the player you recommended.

But yes I agree, not worth restoring. I just wasn’t sure if it was a simple fix before getting a whole new player.

pboser

Jun 19, 2023
That’s not from 1951- maybe 1970s. But still not likely to be a candidate for restoration.

tden04

Sep 30, 2023
CT
That’s not from 1951- maybe 1970s. But still not likely to be a candidate for restoration.
Yeah, 1970s sounds right. That's around the time he was using it. 1951 is just written on the front. Don't know too much about it. Every other turntable I see seems to easily come apart, but this ones different. Currently looking at options for a new purchase.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing