Vintage klipsch la scala

jespera

Jan 12, 2018
London
Warning: this post is not for people who cant hear jack without looking at the price tag.

Wify says i need to exercise more. Shes right about a lot of things so why not. But to make exercise more enjoyable i needed a stereo in the basement.

A friend spoke highly about vintage klipsch la scala so when a 1976 pair came up locally (and they dont often) i was quick to get there.

Seller was a collective of card playing herb heads whod been renting out speakers for pa purposes for many years. The la scalas, however, had mainly stayed in their hangout. Now they were clearing their stash. “ … Bob Marley used la scalas …” they said.

They looked used though not bashed and didnt smell too bad either. So i took the punt.

I have deep respect for the classic uk amps, so i chose to pair them with a leak stereo 20.

Holy smoke, they sound good together.
Even though the amp is still on the chinese/russian valves that it came with.
Super clear and very lively get-up-and-go character. Bass is not very deep but it has a nice kick to it.

Marley and jazz sound great on this system.

I paid approx 2300 usd for the speakers and 1500 usd for the amp. The amp can be picked up cheaper in the uk but i didnt want the hazzle with customs duties etc.

Not only good for the price — i think this system can be pimped to a very high standard. Im going to be looking at better valves, cables and crossover components shortly. While i work out.

If you wanna pay more you can buy new issues of both la scala and the leak. Im not sure you’ll get better sound though.

Any other la scala experiences?

Attachments

• B7D48157-AE99-42D6-84C2-371C80F36CD1.jpeg
    B7D48157-AE99-42D6-84C2-371C80F36CD1.jpeg
    466.3 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Had them 30 years ago in University...best party speakers ever

Reactions: jespera

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I am sure they sound great with Bob Marley on your tube gear !

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Channel your inner David Mancuso and start throwing parties in da basement :) iirc he was using stacked Klipsch at the NY Loft parties...

Reactions: jespera and wbass

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Maybe grab an Isonoe mixer...not valve but I know Justin and his work is tops!

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Maybe so, although that might have been Levan...

Mancuso was known ( iirc ) for often not 'mixing' but playing songs in their entirety.

I'm too young to have been anywhere near the Loft in the heyday late 70s 80s but Mancuso did spin most of his life and I regret not having seen him in later days when he was working along with Colleen Murphy, with whom I share a similar age bracket :)

Anyway what a great score on the LaScalas!

jespera

Jan 12, 2018
London
Maybe so, although that might have been Levan...

Mancuso was known ( iirc ) for often not 'mixing' but playing songs in their entirety.

I'm too young to have been anywhere near the Loft in the heyday late 70s 80s but Mancuso did spin most of his life and I regret not having seen him in later days when he was working along with Colleen Murphy, with whom I share a similar age bracket :)

Anyway what a great score on the LaScalas!

i wasnt invited either

Reactions: Solypsa

Ozzy

Nov 4, 2014
I own a pair of LaScala IIs (circa 2019) which were some of the last before the current AL5 version. I absolutely love these speakers. I've owned many a horn (including klipschorns) and these are by far my favorite. Go to the klipsch community forum and you can immerse yourself in all manner of upgrades and mods for older LaScalas.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I own a pair of LaScala IIs (circa 2019) which were some of the last before the current AL5 version. I absolutely love these speakers. I've owned many a horn (including klipschorns) and these are by far my favorite. Go to the klipsch community forum and you can immerse yourself in all manner of upgrades and mods for older LaScalas.
Heard the most recent version about 2 years ago and have to say I now find it too colored to satisfy my listening needs. Loved my old ones in college but different times different goals...

jespera

Jan 12, 2018
London
The leak has been kitted all out with mullards. For sure doesnt hurt. Bill evans trio 64:

Last edited:
Reactions: pdreher

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing