Viking Acoustics - buyer beware!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
I’ve received an email from Viking demanding I remove this “inflammatory” post or I’m never getting paid. Viking states if I do get paid they will be deducting the shipping and repair costs from what I’m owed.

They also said the boxes were not from Home Depot they were from Bubbles & Boxes. Not sure what that is but I apologize for my misinformation! Whatever they were, not suitable for shipping valuable delicate speakers.

Viking Acoustics doesn't even know what business they're in. They should be in the business of winning and keeping customers. But they're not because the best possible thing they could do at this juncture is to return the money they've stolen from you. Viking, look beyond the few thousand bucks or whatever it is at this point, and look at the bigger picture. Do you want to be in business, let alone thriving, a couple years from now? Do the right thing here, accompanied by an apology.

Last edited:
Reactions: rubinken and PeterA

djsina2

May 30, 2019
Update: Viking says they’ve mailed me a check but are charging me for repairs and return shipping. They also said they sold them as B stock for less money. So in the end I will still pay for all their screw ups.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Update: Viking says they’ve mailed me a check but are charging me for repairs and return shipping. They also said they sold them as B stock for less money. So in the end I will still pay for all their screw ups.
It's a start, but still uacceptable in my opinion.

L3RD

Apr 30, 2022
I hope the mods leave this post up since there have been a few people who have reached out to me about Viking Acoustics products since I owned 3 different pairs over ~7 years and had good experiences. When I placed an order for my 4th pair everything went wrong. This was roughly a half cash and half trade-in credit with my current pair. I paid the cash in Aug 2019 and sent my trade-in speakers shortly after that. To make a long story short there were some setbacks (original speakers painted wrong color), some changes of plans for various reasons (could not source good wood), and by the time things got on track COVID-19 hit. I was extremely forgiving of the situation due to what was happening in the world. Every few months I would try to check in but there was never any sort of firm ETA. In the spring of 2021 I started to doubt whether I would ever receive these speakers. I was now at the 20 month mark with no audio (shipped my trade-in pair in 2019) so I placed an order with another manufacturer. Of course as soon as I did this my Viking's were ready to ship...

Before the speakers even arrived Viking apologized for the poor packaging (this is important later). When the speakers arrived I was shocked they were not destroyed and even emailed Viking this. From my memory they were shipped in cheap Home Depot moving boxes which were barely big enough to hold each speaker. The delicate wood horns stick up above the top of the cabinet and were very close to the box with essentially zero protection. There was very little packaging inside the boxes, just some scraps of foam and whatnot that looked leftover from something else. The first stand I pulled from the box had a big ding in the wood. This was obviously shipped to me this way because the box had no damage and it was the center pillar of the stand which would have been impossible to hit once in the box. I then pulled the speakers out and saw the finish of the black painted cabinets was cracking all over. Also, none of the imperfections of the ply were filled prior to painting so there were voids and divots all over. Extremely amateur looking for a retail $15k speaker! I asked Viking about why these were shipped to me like this and their response was "it gives it character". The other issue was I use a specific set of speaker cables with a certain size spade and also a ground lead. I made it clear from the start that I needed the binding posts and ground lug to fit these cables. I even drew a nice schematic of it in Visio and sent it to Viking at the start. I was assured this would be taken care of and I reminded them at least a couple times long the way. Despite all my effort they paid no attention to it and my cables would not fit.

Viking refused to take the speakers back despite all the issues. They said I could ship them back, they would refinish them, then list them on their site for sale. They made it clear that I still own them. So, I re-packaged them back into the same boxes, using the same scraps of packing material, and shipped them back. Of course on the way back one of the horns gets destroyed and Viking blames me. They make a new horn for it and get it listed on the website for sale sometime in the late spring or early summer of 2021. In Dec 2021 I finally see the status change to SOLD on their site so I ask where my money is. Viking says they are not sold but will send back some of my money. After prodding them a second time for my money they sent a check for 90% of my cash payment, as in I am still out 10% cash plus the trade-in value of my original speakers. A few months later after more excuses and lies I became aware that a WBF member purchased these speakers and indeed his check was cashed in Dec 2021. I confronted Viking on this who still continued to say they were not sold yet. When I pressed harder on where the rest of my money is Viking would respond with cryptic one sentence emails like "we're in the middle of a major hiccup" and "we're in the middle of re-organizing". They would not answer my direct question of "why are you not returning my money?".

In the end I am out X thousands of dollars, went without audio for almost 2 years, was delivered a laughable product, and have wasted so much time dealing with this company and their lies. There are many great speakers out there and trustworthy companies to deal with. Save yourself a major headache.
I doubt that it will help, but you should file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau.

rubinken

Jan 15, 2020
Olympia, WA, USA
I purchased your speakers, not b your story. They were listed as demos. At no point did David inform me that they were B-stock. I can only conclude that David is

rubinken

Jan 15, 2020
Olympia, WA, USA
I purchased your speakers, not b your story. They were listed as demos. At no point did David inform me that they were B-stock. I can only conclude that David is
... Is unethical, a liar, a manipulator, or???

oldhvymec

VIP/Donor
Mar 25, 2022
Wow. I've always likes their speakers. I would never pay 20-35k for speakers. BUT if I did Acoustic would have been on the radar. Speaker-X is a show stopper for me..

I guess I can cross that company off the bucket list.. When it comes to most bucket list, there is usually a certain amount of urgency. 2.5 years to resolve anything, is a long time. I have a bucket list I just don't want to finish mine. The last thing on the list is strap me on top of a Saturn 5 rocket and point me anywhere. I'm good with that. Actually a big bottle rocket pointed at my neighbor's field would be fine.

I can't imagine the fuel cost. A bottle rocket is more me after I though about it..

To bad about your monetary loss, it is unfortunate. Hopefully others will be aware and ask questions a little sooner, IF they ask at, all NOW.. I thought I was patient.. I did wait over 2 years for a C11 bass pot to be repaired. Repaired, not replaced.. 2 + years.. I thought my head was going to explode a few times.. I made up a few new 4 letter words.. :)

At least this thread is still up. When you see threads come down or stay up there is a reason.

Things will work out..

Last edited:
Reactions: Gjo

djsina2

May 30, 2019
May 25th Viking said they refunded my CC. However, Viking doesn’t even have my CC number. Then they said they mailed a refund check. Nothing has been received by me.

oldhvymec

VIP/Donor
Mar 25, 2022
It just keeps getting better. Well I'm rootin' for ya anyways.

He doesn't have your CC #, that's ok he's got mine. He can credit me instead. I'll let you know when monkey start flying out of my keister.

At least when you DIY the only person that gets ripped off is you. That's one way to look at it..

Time to feed the chickens..

Republicoftexas69

It really is a shame that Viking did not take the measures to resolve this issue. They had numerous opportunities to clean this up and keep it out of the court of public opinion. So instead they spent 1.5 years doing nothing and try to spin the issues. Who knows how many sales they have lost.

They have managed to get Agon to take down the thread on this subject, but guess what? It is the internet and the internet is forever!

oldhvymec

VIP/Donor
Mar 25, 2022
That is what AG does, cover it up. They don't mind giving members the boot for making others aware of their shady practices either. I will NOT do business with AG in ANY way.. THEY owe a lot of people apologies for their behavior. As for their forums, I'd take my chances in Ukraine first, before wasting 5 words in their forums, NOW.. You can thank the staff (no s) they have for that. Horribly bigoted over their. It is a private forum though. I don't know why, the Donner Party came to mind..

I'm conservative in many ways and liberal in many more. So what. transparency. I guess I can ADD Viking to the list too. AG they can't manage to get off "The List", they stay on it..

Regards

Last edited:
Reactions: Republicoftexas69

Republicoftexas69

That is what AG does, cover it up. They don't mind giving members the boot for making others aware of their shady practices either. I will NOT do business with AG in ANY way.. THEY owe a lot of people apologies for their behavior. As for their forums, I'd take my chances in Ukraine first before wasting 5 words in their forums, NOW.. You can thank the ONE moderator they have for that. Horribly bigoted over their.

I'm conservative in many ways and liberal in many more. So what. I thought Eisenhower was a great peace time president. What other president sense then has been a staunch believer in WAR IS BAD? Just ONE. When you have to fight in and support wars financially, they aren't such a good idea or fun any more.

I do hear they are hiring in Russia though. Pay checks in rubles and anything you can steal, everything else you touch. I think it's because the "CAUSE" is a little in question from the "SICK" one. A land grab, a thief is a thief.

Land, Speakers? It's still stealing at this point and looking worse ALL the time. They are TOO wrongheaded to do business with. Just like AG, they know what's best right, erase the rest.

They need to rename it "MorgueGon". Bury it with EVERY one at 100% or 0%. No bad reviews though.. Amazing web site, how do they do it? Bust Buy or the local corner hustler is a better bet for transparency. I guess I can ADD Viking to the list too.

Regards
Could not agree more.

facten

Feb 13, 2022
Tennessee
May 25th Viking said they refunded my CC. However, Viking doesn’t even have my CC number. Then they said they mailed a refund check. Nothing has been received by me.
You should post your above comment on the Viking Acoustic thread that Vikinghorn started regarding this issue; maybe he'll respond there. Although, he ignored legitimate questions posed to him so maybe not

Reactions: Republicoftexas69

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
That is what AG does, cover it up. They don't mind giving members the boot for making others aware of their shady practices either. I will NOT do business with AG in ANY way.. THEY owe a lot of people apologies for their behavior. As for their forums, I'd take my chances in Ukraine first before wasting 5 words in their forums, NOW.. You can thank the ONE moderator they have for that. Horribly bigoted over their.

I'm conservative in many ways and liberal in many more. So what. I thought Eisenhower was a great peace time president. What other president sense then has been a staunch believer in WAR IS BAD? Just ONE. When you have to fight in and support wars financially, they aren't such a good idea or fun any more.

I do hear they are hiring in Russia though. Pay checks in rubles and anything you can steal, everything else you touch. I think it's because the "CAUSE" is a little in question from the "SICK" one. A land grab, a thief is a thief.

Land, Speakers? It's still stealing at this point and looking worse ALL the time. They are TOO wrongheaded to do business with. Just like AG, they know what's best right, erase the rest.

They need to rename it "MorgueGon". Bury it with EVERY one at 100% or 0%. No bad reviews though.. Amazing web site, how do they do it? Bust Buy or the local corner hustler is a better bet for transparency. I guess I can ADD Viking to the list too.

Regards
Would you kindly leave the baggage that you quite obviously carry about with you at the WBF threshold. It is not the ethos of this place to provide a soapbox to air one’s grievance against another forum. Thank you.

oldhvymec

VIP/Donor
Mar 25, 2022
"Would you kindly leave the baggage"

NO! But,

I appreciate your input. Thankyou! But my baggage is all I have to offer. If you want me to BS everyone and tell them what I don't know instead. Life is a bunch of "Baggage". Some baggage has to stay on the carousel for a while.

I don't have a grievance at all. That would imply there are two sides to THIS story. There is NOT.

Just the facts. If you like "that forum" and know what they do, you would join a very small minority only to be overseen by one lopsided person. IF I didn't have a very personal experience with AG, I probably wouldn't share. Feel free to hit the old ignore button, though. Another wonderful thing about THIS forum. The actual members have an option, it's not left solely up to ONE person erasing 1/2 the text being typed.. More great information was erased at that (lack-of-sight) site than all the books of congress. BAGGAGE?

But if burning books, erasing bad feedback and banning 90% of the people that use to frequent the place and support it, is your thing. Support away. I choose to do it in a democratic way. They earned that reputation, now THEY can live with it.. I'll have nothing to do with AG, they were fired for the lack of a better term. That makes 2 persons and that forum in my life.. Not bad. All the rest I just worked to death. :)

I know I've mentored and apprenticed at least 100 men and women, couple of dogs in there too. Maybe 3000 workers in all, under my care. TWO were let go.. I'm glad I learned to get along and teach people good manners and skills. There was the other option too.

At least I'm not a political NUT, I'm just a NUT.

Normally I throw my hat on the floor and do a dance, but my hip has been botherin' me as of late..

Time to feed the chickens.

Regards

Last edited:
Reactions: Gjo
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing