Vacuum State RTP3D preamp

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Slightly bigger milage but nothing is an issue. And one pcs will be in ZH as a resident pre so also an option…
Yes, that’s right…he was over at the get together at my place.

Reactions: Phon@ix

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
First unit started to sing at friends place...first words from him - killer pre...hope to hear more from him later 1662917428424.png

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Cool! When will you get to hear it? Do you have one coming as well?
Huh...I would not say below a month and more realistic forecast is end of Oct/Nov. I want it to be fully tested in several systems back home and they need to make a proper packaging for sending as both units are like 50kg together. But as it arrives I do believe it may go directly to Zurich (Urs) so easy for you to hear it.

Jaytor

Dec 22, 2020
OR, USA
Huh...I would not say below a month and more realistic forecast is end of Oct/Nov. I want it to be fully tested in several systems back home and they need to make a proper packaging for sending as both units are like 50kg together. But as it arrives I do believe it may go directly to Zurich (Urs) so easy for you to hear it.
I am planning to build one of these but NOS 6922 tubes are getting pretty hard to find. What tubes are you using?

adrianywu

Nov 15, 2021
This is quite some project. Congratulations. I was one of the original 10 beta-testers for Allen. It took us about 2 years to build the RTP-3C. I later bought an RTC-3D from Allen, which was built on PCBs. I have been using my prototype RTP-3C as a platform for experimentation. It is now serving as my tape head preamp after I changed the RIAA EQ to tape EQ. My experimentation with different coupling caps led me to use the Wima FKP4. This is a metallized polypropylene film and foil capacitor, designed for pulse applications. It is completely transparent, uncolored and super fast. I don't believe in using caps to "season" the sound. I just want them to get out of the way. I also changed the series type stepped attenuators to a ladder type with constant input impedance. Allen always warned against using other types of attenuators, because a constant 50k input resistance is needed for the RIAA network. I have found a 48-step attenuator using precision resistors that have a pretty much constant input impedance. At least, it does not make enough of a difference that I can detect. The transistor at the phono input stage cascode has been upgraded to MAT2. The RTP-3D uses a different transistor. The power supply capacitors were electrolytic initially, but now, only metallized polypropylene caps are used. I am also using only Lemo Redel sockets and plugs that Allen favored. Even though I don't have a lot of experience with commercial high end preamps, I must say that the RTP-3C/3D is extremely fast, uncolored, detailed and dynamic.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
I am planning to build one of these but NOS 6922 tubes are getting pretty hard to find. What tubes are you using?
We are using e88cc and Russian equivalent 6h23p

Jaytor

Dec 22, 2020
OR, USA
We are using e88cc and Russian equivalent 6h23p
NOS tubes, or new production? From what I understand, Allen recommended Electro Harmonix tubes so that's what I was planning to start with. I'm building a line stage only - no phono preamp.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Only NOS ones….Valvo, Tesla, Siemens, Telefunken

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
NOS tubes, or new production? From what I understand, Allen recommended Electro Harmonix tubes so that's what I was planning to start with. I'm building a line stage only - no phono preamp.
NOS Tesla gold pins code 32 (Prague) are very good for the money.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Reactions: morricab

adrianywu

Nov 15, 2021
I am using Mullard/Amperex 7308 (low noise version of 6922) on the phono stage, and Valvo PCC88 (7V version of ECC88) for the line stage. It is simple to change the value of the resistor at each LM317 that regulates the heater supply for the correct voltage/current.

Jaytor

Dec 22, 2020
OR, USA
Thank you for the info.

theophile

When I was first setting out on the path of becoming a hi-fi addict in the late 1970s I had the great pleasure of becoming acquainted with Allen at his Wentworth Street showroom/lab in Sydney. I was in my late teens and really at that time completely clueless about high end hifi gear. However I was very interested in learning. Allen saw my enthusiasm and desire to learn. He was always very accomodating and went out of his way to allow me to listen to his demonstration system. He had first generation Systemdeck(spelling?) turntable with a SAEC 4xx arm and an Adcom moving coil, his RTP pre and power amps driving stacked Acoustat speakers. I spent many hours listening to his system on many visits. Allen would let me bring along LPs and he would also suggest and play LPs which he owned. To this day I still remember how pure and effortless the sound was. In a way, listening to his system spoiled me. It was very difficult to muster enthusiasm for alternative systems after hearing Allen's system. Most everything else I heard was disappointing by contrast. I'm glad though in retrospect because at that young age I was essentially given a lesson in what to aim for.

Allen closed his showroom after a couple of years and not long after moved to Switzerland. I never saw or kept in contact with him. Like many others I was saddened to hear of his passing. I get a little moist-eyed still recalling his passing. I remember him mostly as a very kind, patient mentor. GOD be with you Allen.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
When I was first setting out on the path of becoming a hi-fi addict in the late 1970s I had the great pleasure of becoming acquainted with Allen at his Wentworth Street showroom/lab in Sydney. I was in my late teens and really at that time completely clueless about high end hifi gear. However I was very interested in learning. Allen saw my enthusiasm and desire to learn. He was always very accomodating and went out of his way to allow me to listen to his demonstration system. He had first generation Systemdeck(spelling?) turntable with a SAEC 4xx arm and an Adcom moving coil, his RTP pre and power amps driving stacked Acoustat speakers. I spent many hours listening to his system on many visits. Allen would let me bring along LPs and he would also suggest and play LPs which he owned. To this day I still remember how pure and effortless the sound was. In a way, listening to his system spoiled me. It was very difficult to muster enthusiasm for alternative systems after hearing Allen's system. Most everything else I heard was disappointing by contrast. I'm glad though in retrospect because at that young age I was essentially given a lesson in what to aim for.

Allen closed his showroom after a couple of years and not long after moved to Switzerland. I never saw or kept in contact with him. Like many others I was saddened to hear of his passing. I get a little moist-eyed still recalling his passing. I remember him mostly as a very kind, patient mentor. GOD be with you Allen.
I knew Allen quite well and frequently visited his business in Schaffhausen. He also made periodic trips to my place. We shared a mutual love for Acoustat speakers (I had 3 pairs) and I reviewed the last version of his preamp…a wonderful machine. I was very sad when I learned of his death…but his legacy lives on!

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland

Still spinning vinyl with a GT-2000? I still love mine.

theophile

Still spinning vinyl with a GT-2000? I still love mine.
Oh yes. With the purchase of the ART20 I am much more appreciative of the GT 2000. A superlative and inexpensive second hand purchase. I've had mine since 2008 and the return on investment(I got a GT 2000 and YSA-1 for $1500 US) has been substantial.
Please excuse the off topic conversation, people.

How lucky you were to know Allen to that degree. He was a true gentleman and I am grateful to have been acquainted with him.

Reactions: morricab

theophile

An interesting thread at another forum:

Reactions: ACHiPo

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA
I’d love to hear this preamp and ideally Allen’s phono stage as well.

theophile

Allen if I recall correctly had some interesting and unorthodox ideas about cartridge alignment. I only just recalled this so I haven't searched for them, yet.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing